This is what happen to me - Page 2 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tharris811
hey wingman if you ever get down to hazel green,al about 15 miles south. look me up tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06wingman View Post
Ken L if you will read the post you will see that Will at CSC said that it was a HONDA 1500 yoke so bust my balloon. I think when I said HONDA is that not MOTHER HONDA.
Please re-read my post... I was replying to TBJ's post. Sorry to have miss led you..

Ken L.

05 Dark Grey Metallic, built by CSC & 1975 GL1000
Ham Radio W8BUY - GWRRA OH-X2
CBTC President & co-founder

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Ken L Sorry about the little finger fight. I was mislead a little.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gold 06 CSC with matching escapade trailer

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Toolboxjunky things happen to every moving part sometimes so why eliminate something that you have not tryed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gold 06 CSC with matching escapade trailer

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Member

I agree that things happen. U-joint maybe MH but its the trike builder's decision to use OEM components or Upgrade them for improvement. Balloon filling up.But ask yourself why would a manufacturer skimp on a couple of grease certs? R&D guys fell asleep on the job. Or was it "Hey we can sell more parts." Or I got it we'll offer them a upgrade instead of admitting the obvious. If it had them and it failed then it was on you for not performing the maintenance properly. But wouldn't u think that they would have thought "Hey let's make the u-joints serviceable so we can increase the life of our customers investment."

I have a service truck 17 years old with 335,000 on grease less u-joints hauling around 10-15k lbs all the time it's whole life. Your trike is 3 years old and 44k miles. Who's r&d is working?
Let me go ahead and state this before someone else get's bent over this. All trikes kits have there Shortcomings(even mine) OK!
That why all of us spend so much time doing our R&D when choosing the trike we want. And this is for chaz36 " IT WAS PURDY AND I WANTED IT"

I have a friend that got shot with a gun. He didn't like it very much. But I guess I'll have to go and find out for myself huh?
As stated in my post. I am not here hating CSC. I just gave my opinion which I assume is still possible( without the keyboard police) getting their underware in a knot.
Dang must be all that bran I've been eating!
Click, Click, PUll!

2002 Illusion Blue Goldwing TrikeShop Chrome and Neons and LED Lights Always ready to Roll! Backup and running
2004 Silverwing trike w/Danson kit (wife's scoot)
Silence is Golden but Duct Tape is Silver! HAHA!
[B][I]
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Seasoned Member

That one happened to come out of a CSC. Anyone remember the pictures Wheels posted of the busted yoke that came out of his MotorTrike? Looks the same to me.

One difference is the MotorTrike has a zerk fitting in the universal. But that still leaves us with the spline out of the rear of the transmission (Honda part). On the 1500, it was recommended that the spline be lubed at every tire change, which was the 10-15,000 mile mark. Now we are running rear tires that are going 60,000 miles or more, and who is lubing that rear spline?

Think I smell a potential for spline failure. And because its part of the tranny, could be expensive. And I doubt Honda would want to warranty it......

Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Seasoned Member

I think most of us Triker guys (and gals) know the issue of driveshaft, universal and front yoke potential problems. What 06wingman experienced is very unfortunate for him and I'm glad it was just a breakdown that is repairable and nothing more. So knowing what we know what do we do as the Trikeeeees owning the things? Both the 1500 & 1800 Honda front yoke have no grease zerk. Guess they call that a maintenance free unit. I don't have the figures at my diposal but I would imagine the torque exerted on the driveline is greater than when it was a two wheeler. And in order for a universal to work it has to have some offset or angle. So let's get to the bottom of this like troubleshooters and figure it out so we can help others before they have the same problem.

1. How much torque will a 1500 or 1800 yoke withstand?
2. How much more strain does the Trike put on (it) then when it was a two wheeler?
3. How often should they be inspected?
4. Is lubrication necessary or even possible?
5. What is a yokes expected life (how any miles)
6. We replace tires when they wear out maybe yokes too?
7. Is there an alternative part (yoke) from another source?

I don't think the design is faulty. If it was, every Cobra or Spyder or any other Trike with a driveshaft would be breaking yokes constantly. I have built quite a few Cobras and owned then too. Never have replaced a failed yoke yet. Did replace one that we felt was a bit too worn and sloppy. But maybe that's the secret, every 25,000 remove driveshafts and inspect all components for wear or road damage. Better than a breakdown.

I've written this before, a Trike is such a unique vehicle it will have certain issues that we need to be aware of. That is part of this boards function, addressing fun stuff and problem stuff. We're learning as we go and that's ok that's life. Designs have improved by the big (6) and they will change again I'm sure in the future. And each manufacturer has a great warranty to cover issues like this.

Heck my '08 F-150 just croaked on April 10th, (50,400 miles) Catalytic Converter had a melt down. Took (3) weeks to get a new one! Was a warranty repair, so I get it back and bam next day breaks down. This time #5 ignition coil and O2 sensors $578.00!!! Know what I told the Ford dealer? Ya' big dummies the Cat didn't die on it's own in the first place and even I knew that ......... moral to this story is a FORD warranty is 36,000 miles CSC's is 50,000 miles. I think comparing apples to apples CSC and the other Trike manufactuers take care of us very well.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR Harry View Post
That one happened to come out of a CSC. Anyone remember the pictures Wheels posted of the busted yoke that came out of his MotorTrike? Looks the same to me.

One difference is the MotorTrike has a zerk fitting in the universal. But that still leaves us with the spline out of the rear of the transmission (Honda part). On the 1500, it was recommended that the spline be lubed at every tire change, which was the 10-15,000 mile mark. Now we are running rear tires that are going 60,000 miles or more, and who is lubing that rear spline?

Think I smell a potential for spline failure. And because its part of the tranny, could be expensive. And I doubt Honda would want to warranty it......

Harry;
Number 9 on the Preventive Maintenance Page of the Manual ( this information is not from me I got it from MT )

9. Grease the forward spline of the driveshaft front and rear with high quality lithium grease every 24 month, or 20,000 to 24,000 miles. This requires the removal of the driveshaft. Be careful not to get the front and rear U joints "out of time" on reassembly.

George Patrick Th.D.
USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Well put Lonestar!!!!!
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to pshivers Send a message via Yahoo to pshivers
I'm trying to understand the failure.

My comment earlier was that the "U-Joint Looks Very Dry". To me it has the look of a U-Joint that was never lubricated to begin with. As a kid I use to replace a lot of u-joints on cars in the 60's and that picture looked very familiar. The "cure" back then was to replace the universal joint with an aftermarket one equipped with a zert fitting. Of course that is back when your took your vehicle in for a "Lube, Oil and Filter" every 3,000 miles. Part of the job was searching for and possibly installing zert fittings on the suspension to better maintain those components. Many of these same parts are permanently lubricated now (for a couple of decades probably) and actually do last the lifetime of the vehicle.

I'm browsing a lot of Trike info, slowly gathering information as I am pretty sure I will have to trike my '05 if my knees continue to degrade, (hoping surgery will fix this instead).

Are the yokes used normally enclosed on the 1500 keeping them cleaner and unexposed to the elements? My personal observation is that the particular yoke in question failed due to a lack of lubrication. Sounds like regular maintenance is recommended for this u-joint by Honda, (Does CSC also make this recommendation?).

Just seems like a failure of this type should be preventable.

2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
GWBBA #58
Darkside #527
195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
-Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page