Auxiliary Fuel Tank - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Auxiliary Fuel Tank

I was wondering how many really use the auxiliary fuel tank. I do not have one and can go 150 miles before I need to start looking for fuel, however after about 75 I am ready to get off the trike/stretch/use the bathroom/get a drink etc.

So my question is basically: How important is the extra tank, from what I hear it is expensive and sometimes troublesome.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Wayne Thais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Wayne, ditto.....

Riding a '02 Orange GW with a '05 Motor Trike kit and a 2014 Cognac RT-Ltd Spyder.
SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retired USAF and Sony Corp. 83 years old, MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

I like mine!

Wayne,

You are correct, it is an expensive option. I use mine all the time. I don't like having to make every stop at a gas station. It comes in handy when riding with a group of 2 wheelers as they don't have to stop as often for me to fill up. Last year when many of the gas stations in the TN/NC area were out of gas, it was real nice to have that reserve waiting.

So I don't regret spending the extra money for the convenience it provides.

Jay & Maria
SOLD the trike but still like haggin around!
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
beastie

I had a Cobra with the Aux tank, so naturally I always used it. But I really like having the extra fuel and not having to fill up as often.

Those of you who say you need to stop after 100 miles or so and that's why you don't need or want one. When you stop for gas, do you only put 3 gallons in? Because that should get you 100 miles. Or do you fill it up? I'll bet you fill it up.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

On the Cobra (the extra tank is connected directly to the main tank, so it always is working) the extra tank is $580, yes pretty expensive, however if you keep your trike oh-say 5 yrs that brings it to $116/yr or $0.32/day to have the ability to say NO to a gas station once in a while.

There is an old saying for those folks that fly airplanes.

There is only ONE time that you can have too much fuel, and that is when your on the ground and on fire!!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Good point Don. I don't care much to ride over a hundred miles without stopping and stretching:and quite often, even much less.

Wayne, we have an auxiliary fuel tank and I use it all the time. I don't want to wait for the time when we really need it to find a problem. When we decided to make our order at Hannigan, the boss told me to get everything that I wanted because there would be NO coming back. Now, I’ve never said that I was smart, but I haven’t gone back for anything, either.

Wayne

Wayne Sawyer
Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
'08 GL Hannigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

I've got one and I use it; I did that because of some of the trips I want to take are in some less populated areas and want the reserve.
Also, like Wayne, the boss said this is it, you better get everything you want.
She also said "if you're spending this kind of money, what's a another 600 bucks".

Marty
08 Pearl White Hannigan
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I use mine also since it works with out intervention on the CSC.

1. I like having the option of going to the next station w/o out being forced to stop at the first one I see.

2. Most of my riding is local and it allows me to fill up less often.

3. I remember the gas crunch of the 70's and the little crunch of 2008. Where filling stations ran out of gas and u couldn't depend on being able to fill up at every one.

It just gives me a little peace of mind.

03-candy red - GL1800 ABS w/08 CSC Trike kit, 2014 Honda Forza.
Past:07-black and red - Suzuki VL800 Boulevard (C50), 98-Valkyrie Tour, 75-Honda CB750 K5, 67-Yamaha 200, 57 Cushman, 49-Cushman - Inverted Bath tub

> I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM
beastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaw View Post
When we decided to make our order at Hannigan, the boss told me to get everything that I wanted because there would be NO coming back. Now, I’ve never said that I was smart, but I haven’t gone back for anything, either.

Wayne

I love it.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Seasoned Member

In my opinion an auxiliary fuel tank is a major convenience item. To me at least, it is worth more than floor boards which cost twice as much or chromium looking farkles, teddy bears, etc. that can easily total up to even more money.

Troublesome? I had a Hannigan and now have a Roadsmith. Neither have been troublesome in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT View Post
I was wondering how many really use the auxiliary fuel tank. I do not have one and can go 150 miles before I need to start looking for fuel, however after about 75 I am ready to get off the trike/stretch/use the bathroom/get a drink etc.

So my question is basically: How important is the extra tank, from what I hear it is expensive and sometimes troublesome.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2468 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page