Hannigan Rear End Diff. - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hannigan Rear End Diff.

I looked through out the posts and didn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask it now:

2009 GL1800 w/Hannigan trike kit; I was told to use 80/90 gear oil as directed by Ford/Mercury for a Motorcraft 7.5" differential. I used to use ProHonda Shaft Drive Oil Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80W90 in the stock rear end, then switched to Spectro SAE 80W90 Hypoid Gear Lubricant. I still have a couple of bottles of the ProHonda and a case of the Spectro. Would I still be able to use these oils instead of going out and hunting up another type because it was recommended by Ford/Mercury? Please let me know, in the meantime Iam going riding and enjoy my new toy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I looked through out the posts and didn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask it now:

2009 GL1800 w/Hannigan trike kit; I was told to use 80/90 gear oil as directed by Ford/Mercury for a Motorcraft 7.5" differential. I used to use ProHonda Shaft Drive Oil Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80W90 in the stock rear end, then switched to Spectro SAE 80W90 Hypoid Gear Lubricant. I still have a couple of bottles of the ProHonda and a case of the Spectro. Would I still be able to use these oils instead of going out and hunting up another type because it was recommended by Ford/Mercury? Please let me know, in the meantime Iam going riding and enjoy my new toy.
I would ask this of Hannigan since any warranty issue would be theirs.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

As of right now you shouldn't even be thinking of this!!! When was the last time you changed the rear end lube in your car??? Remember though that when it needs to be done; That the rear end is mounted Upside Down, and if you fill it to where you would normally, you will have a horrible mess under the Trike in the first 5 miles. Oil will be dripping from every where, and you will think it has Blown Up

Ford calls for 80/90. So if what you have is 80/90 then you should be set. So in 85,000 to 90,000 more miles you goo to go.

George Patrick Th.D.
USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Or you could ask George 'cause ma' man knows what he's talkin' about
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ5IX View Post
That the rear end is mounted Upside Down, and if you fill it to where you would normally, you will have a horrible mess under the Trike in the first 5 miles. Oil will be dripping from every where, and you will think it has Blown Up
George, pictures please. I want to see this upside down mess.

Ken L.

05 Dark Grey Metallic, built by CSC & 1975 GL1000
Ham Radio W8BUY - GWRRA OH-X2
CBTC President & co-founder

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Why is the rear end upside down?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
George, pictures please. I want to see this upside down mess.

Ken L.
Ken I looked... I didn't take any of the oil all over every thing, but it takes a while to clean it up, and then suck the rest out. That I do remember well..

George Patrick Th.D.
USMC 66-74

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectrike View Post
Why is the rear end upside down?
Something to do with the driveshaft alignment I think,.

George Patrick Th.D.
USMC 66-74

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

I changed the diff and gear case oil after 500 miles, just to clean out any residue left over from the manufacturing process. I also change it every 20,000 miles.

I use Amsoil synthetic.

Wayne

Wayne Thais
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
AK Oldman

So why not cut the plug out and remount it at the appropriate level?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page