Former Harley Trike Riders - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 AM
highpockets

Former Harley Trike Riders

If you were a former HD Ultra Classic Trike rider, why did you switch to the Honda Goldwing Trike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
If you were a former HD Ultra Classic Trike rider, why did you switch to the Honda Goldwing Trike?
I owned an Ultra before and now a 2010 Heritage and the GW Trike.

The Goldwing simply makes for a better conversion:

Liquid cooled.

Standard reverse.

Much larger engine.

2008 GL1800 CSC Trike Pearl White
Wags Pet/Cargo Trailer
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashG View Post
I owned an Ultra before and now a 2010 Heritage and the GW Trike.

The Goldwing simply makes for a better conversion:

Liquid cooled.

Standard reverse.

Much larger engine.

Not too mention your intercom conversations come through loud and clear.....
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 PM
highpockets

Forner HD trike rider

Thanks. I have been considering triking my HD Ultra. I like the HD but have had some feedback that the HD does not have enough power to pull a trike and then some say that it does. I don't ride fast anyway? Any comments? Ride Safe.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I disagree Lonestar...Harley has a crystal clear intercom system without all of the wind noise...voice activated system vs Honda constantly open mic. Yes exhasut noise is a factor, but does not effect the intercom.

Gary Peitz
2012 Harley Davidson Tri Glide
Christian Motorcyclists Association
GWRRA

USAF 1964-1969
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwillie View Post
I disagree Lonestar...Harley has a crystal clear intercom system without all of the wind noise...voice activated system vs Honda constantly open mic. Yes exhasut noise is a factor, but does not effect the intercom.

No I was kiddin' because of my other intercom post.......... Now I just leave mine unplugged.... "cause you never know who's listenin'!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I haven't owned a H-D since the 1950s but I have owned lots of different brand m/cs before and since the Hummer.

Some folks like to try different things. For instance, I test rode a Can Am Spyder RT today and would like to have one when I tire of my pristine and loaded 2008 RoadSmith, ...or when someone talks me into selling it as was the case with the K1200LT that preceded it.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Thanks. I have been considering triking my HD Ultra. I like the HD but have had some feedback that the HD does not have enough power to pull a trike and then some say that it does. I don't ride fast anyway? Any comments? Ride Safe.
If it is stock twin cam 88, then yes, much more power w/ Wing. Of course you can punch up the twin cam to get near the power of the Wing, but that is quite expensive. I had a Road King, stage 2 and debated triking it, but after much thought decided on triking the Wing, which I already had as a two wheeler.

BUT if you already have the Ultra, it can make a nice trike, it's just not gonna have the torque of a water cooled engine. The one thing I hear the most from people moving from HD to Wing, is they prefer the sitting position of the HD to the more upright position of the Wing. I am just the opposite, I prefer the Wing seating. If you are happy w/ your Ultra, I would think seriously about triking it. The only thing is, you will have to do more downshifting to take steep hills than you do w/ a wing, but you are already doing that w/ your Harley. And the Harley is not gonna be as smooth as the Wing. But that's no big deal, you are already use the the HD.

Oh almost forgot, if you have the twin cam 95, you are almost up the power of the wing.

'04 Wing/ '06 Champion Trike Kit

"When I talk to myself, no one is there. I miss me."
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

The new HD factory trikes have a 103 engine and a 6 speed transmission.

2008 GL1800 CSC Trike Pearl White
Wags Pet/Cargo Trailer
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

The last H-D that we owned will be our last (is that an oxymoron?). It was an Ultra Classic and I thought that it was one of the better Harleys that we had owned. When we decided to convert, I went to a friend who owns three H-D dealerships in the Middle TN area. He had two Motor Trikes in stock and offered them both to us to test for the weekend. He and I both wanted us to stay with Harley-Davidson. I’d spent a lot of money throughout the years with him and he liked that.

We first took an '08 that had been punched up to a 103c.i. (1690c.c.) using the famed Screaming Eagle kit. We knew that this was the more powerful one and we wanted to put it through its paces first.

We rode it to our home, about seven or eight miles away. As soon as we pulled in the drive, the wife patted me on the shoulder and whispered (I had turned off the key already) "You don't like this do you?" I was so glad to hear those words. Those seven or eight miles had been the worse riding that I have experienced in my forty-five years of riding bikes. We went back out and test rode it for maybe an hour but it absolutely was the worse riding I've ever experienced. It was underpowered, rode like a log wagon (and I know how a log wagon rides) and by then, we were looking for something quieter. We had rode Harley’s for sometime and our hearing wasn't getting any better. Oh, one more thing, the bottom end low speed torque was none existent. We took the trike back that same day and never rode the smaller engined 95c.i. (1550c.c.) trike.

I know that there will be some who will disagree. Disagreement is good. There is a Harley trike owner somewhere out there who could probably tell this story, but in reverse. Where ever he is, I only hope that he enjoys his H-D conversion like we enjoy our Gold Wing conversion.

Ride safe,

Wayne

Wayne Sawyer
Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
'08 GL Hannigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page