Heel / toe shifter - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Heel / toe shifter

I'm having trouble getting my foot under the shifter. I have the iso-wings. Should I just add
add the heel /toe shifter or get the kit with the boards?

RANDY

2003 Goldwing/2010 Motortrike Adventure
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't have wings, but I do have Kuryakyn boards and heel and toe shifter and I love it. Took a little to get used to, but I would never go back.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PGR # 175344
08 GL1800 Pearl White ABS Hannigan
02 Lowrider - K&N, V&H, Mustang, Headwinds, bling
06 Heritage - SE Stage 1, V&H 2:1, PCV, Dyno'd
07 Mustang GT California Special Convertible
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrscott View Post
I'm having trouble getting my foot under the shifter. I have the iso-wings. Should I just add
add the heel /toe shifter or get the kit with the boards?
I had the Kuryakyn boards and heal toe shifter on my Wing when I triked it. I have bad knees and hip and the boards raised my foot up putting even more of a bend in my knees. It was not very long after triking it I took them off. I liked the wing better in stock form. The wing does not give you much room to move feet around. With the engine being so wide when I put my feet on Hyw pegs it makes my hip hurt. I removed the stock foot rest and ran without them that helped a lot but I like having my feet near the controls when riding in heavy traffic. So put them back on. I am going to make some changes this winter to see if I can improve the feel of the wing. If anyone has a set of stock foot rest I would like to have them to modify. I want to get my feet even lower and still keep them close to the foot controls.

Added: I had more missed shifts with the heal toe and didn't realize it till I went back to toe shifter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

05 Goldwing Motor Trike, Second place Asian Full Custom Trike. Abate Bike Show Feb 17, 12
I rode Moto Guzzi motorcycles for years, Am a friend of Bill W.
All though life I've had to make choices and sometimes I make the right one.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2392
Jesus is the reason for the season.
I now also have a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

When I had my right hip replaced, found out that my left leg is shorter and have my left shoe build up. So it is thicker and I have a hard time getting under the shifter.

RANDY

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Hi Randy. I admire all you guys who've continued to ride with replacement knees, hips, etc. I've got a North Carolina friend, "Old Fred" on the board, who doesn't have a right leg, and then of course, there's "Wheels" and "rollingthunder". I know there are others and you're all my heros.

I'm an old Harley rider and got used to the heel-toe-shifter. Once we purchased our Wing in '08, the first thing we did was add the H-T shifter. Hope you find a solution to your issue.

Ride safe,

Wayne

Wayne Sawyer
Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
'08 GL Hannigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks Wayne! I been thinking do I want to add it to my Iso-wings (mini boards) or go with the full board kit.
I will add the rear heel extension.

RANDY

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrscott View Post
Thanks Wayne! I been thinking do I want to add it to my Iso-wings (mini boards) or go with the full board kit.
I will add the rear heel extension.
When you say, "rear heel extension," I believe you mean to widen the heal toe shifter so that your boot will fit between the shift points on the heal/toe shifter. That was another problem I had with them they or to close together and why would they build them that way. It meant that I could not set with my foot flat on the boards. I had to turn my left foot out to fit between the shifting points. I don't miss the heal/toe shifter. I still have lots of problems with pain while riding. I had hoped that Triking would fix this but it did not. So reason I want to change the lay out of the foot supports on the Wing, they are still to high and to far back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

05 Goldwing Motor Trike, Second place Asian Full Custom Trike. Abate Bike Show Feb 17, 12
I rode Moto Guzzi motorcycles for years, Am a friend of Bill W.
All though life I've had to make choices and sometimes I make the right one.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2392
Jesus is the reason for the season.
I now also have a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Grog, a friend has the board kit on his roadsmith trike. Every time I put it in first gear, then slide my foot back I would put it back in neutral.
The extension moves it back 1 or 1 1/2 inches. I have been looking at that comfort control kit of Roadsmith, but at $700.00 I don't know. It
moves them forward 3" and down 1".

RANDY

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Heel Toe Shifter on Trikes......

Sept 1, 2012

I just purchased a 2005 GL1800 Trike with Lehman kit. I am very happy with it. It only had 4,000 miles and looked like new with ALL the chrome goodies. I added the Kuryakan heel toe shifter and also had the stock foot pegs put back on. I don't want the floorboards, they would just get in the way. The stock footpeg is higher up then the floorboards and I am much happier with this setup.

Motogordo
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

I had a 1953 or 4 belt drive Servicycle with a factory installed heel/toe shifter. It was OK (in that application) but I haven't had the desire or felt the need for one since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1442 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page