Goldwing Reverse Trike - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Goldwing Reverse Trike

I have made a couple post on here about my reverse trike conversion I was building and some of you wanted to see some photos of the trike when I finished it. Well it is not finished yet but close enough to show a couple photos.

I have been doing some riding to test everything out and so far everything looks good. I have never had a trike before so I am getting use to the new feel of not leaning the bike. It rides very smooth and takes very little effort to steer it. I went on a short 200 mile ride in the mountains Sunday and did not notice any tiring of my arms.

I started the conversion with a 2005 ABS model and built a complete new front end with coil over shocks, a-arm suspension and Wilwood disk brake on the front. I hand crafted a complete bolt on new front fiberglass body that bolts to the stock Goldwing dash and shelter. I also built some short running boards to help keep the water off my feet if I get caught in the rain. Everything from the dash and wind shield back is all stock Goldwing.

One of the things I did with this kit is to make it a complete bolt on system. No welding, drilling or grinding on the stock frame. If you ever get tired of the trike, all you have to do is unbolt the kit and bolt all the stock front bike parts back on and you are back to two wheels again.

I still have some body work to finish on the front and more testing this winter. Not sure I like the front body design yet but I had to start with something. Let me know what you think of the basic concept.
What would you change if you were going to buy one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 048.jpg
Views:	2843
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	45689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 031.jpg
Views:	11171
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	45690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 034.jpg
Views:	5475
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	45691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 039.jpg
Views:	1578
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	45692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 042.jpg
Views:	4159
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	45693  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member
Very well done indeed. Honestly the front wheel design leaves little room for storage compared to a conventional rear wheel design. But as a custom again very well done and different. My concern as I use my trike to commute on would be its driving characteristics and how it rode and handled. You have a talent many of wish we had even a small percentage of.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member
That is a good looking trike.
Please keep us posted about it.
post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM
This thing looks GREAT !!!! We honestly think the Gold Wing lost more storage than it gained when the saddlebags were removed to accommodate the new trike/trunk rear-end. We have always missed having the saddlebags. With this design, you've got it ALL even if the forward trunk is somewhat small. You are very talented and brave to have gone forth with this project by yourself. As to buying one... no. Just simply because we already have 2 Gold Wing trikes we are happy with and don't intend to invest any more money in bikes and trikes. But if this thing had come along PRIOR to our purchases - weeellllll....the wife would have had to make a big decision between the standard Gold Wing trike and this reverse-look trike. She really likes the look of the Spyder - its eye-catching. But she chose the Gold Wing trike as we are familiar with, and appreciate the reliability of, the Gold Wing. When I bought my trike - there was no decision between a Spyder and a Gold Wing... I already knew I was sticking with the 'Wing. Enjoy your creation.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member
I like the looks of it. I think it looks better then a conventional trike.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Member

post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Member
Nice Looking

I wish I had half the talent that you do I like it very much. Put a Kumho rear tire on it make all tires run flat and it would be bulletproof . My Hannigan I gained storage space with it some of the other conversions the trunk is not all that large. Sonney
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Thanks all for your comments and kind words. This project started out as just a fun project with the thought of maybe going into full production if it works out to be a safe and reliable trike and if there is enough interest in it. I still have a lot of testing before I make that happen. The cost to produce the trike is another issue. I want to make it affordable without compromising quality.

I currently have two artist doing several concept drawings of different body designs. I will then post these drawings to see what design is most popular. Still not sure if I will use ABS plastic like used on the standard wing or use fiberglass. I will be looking for reliability since weight is not a real issue. The kit only adds about 65 lb to the total weight of the bike. JaysGone mentioned the lost storage area of the front wheel design but with the side bags, trunk and front storage area you still have lots of storage. The front storage area is larger than the Can Am Spyder. I could have made it larger but did not want to have a area that could get very heavy on the nose of the trike. Need to keep the front to rear weight bias in check.

Thanks again for you comments and keep them coming. I want to know what you think!

post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member
Jerry that is outstanding! You possess a lot of talent my friend. Tom
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member
Looks very nice. I,m wondering how much weight does this kit add. Also would be traction on the rear wheel when it rains. Some people pulling trailers could have a problem getting power to the ground. But you have done a fantastic job. I,d buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page