I'm sold - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I'm sold

Just returned from a 10-day trike ride from Scottsdale to the Texas Hill Country. Weather varied from high crosswinds, to all day rain, temps at higher elevations in the 40's to mid 80's the last two days.

The 2012 GL1800 with CSC kit performed great and my wife was a happy camper! Already planning a 30-day trip across Canada next summer!
Whisper Jet and mhgoldwing like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

So, did you recently convert to a trike? I'm kind of wondering why your sold. Had you any doubt that the trike would be a fantastic experience? My brother triked his a few years ago, and loves it too. 30 days, nice. AND I'm a little envious.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I just purchased the trike this summer. After 52 yesrs on two wheelers I wasn't sure I would enjoy riding as much.. i kept my 03 Goldwing for riding summers in MN but am already plotting to trade it for a sport bike.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Glad you like your trike cause my bike is in the shop as we speak getting trike'd should B getting it back next month(ish) Looking forward to a new experience on three wheels...
How difference was the ride on "three" instead of "two"????????? I never rode a trike before so it will be a totally new experience for me.......

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captron View Post
Glad you like your trike cause my bike is in the shop as we speak getting trike'd should B getting it back next month(ish) Looking forward to a new experience on three wheels...
How difference was the ride on "three" instead of "two"????????? I never rode a trike before so it will be a totally new experience for me.......

You are indeed in for a new experience!! That third wheel puts a whole new spin on the entire thing. Not that you will never enjoy it again. On the contrary, Most of us actually have enjoyed it more now that we don't have the concerns two wheels presented. To be totally honest, I expect your first impression will be 'What Did I DO!!!!".. Give it a chance.

Learning to ride a trike in most cases takes a few months and maybe as much as 1000 miles of various roads. I'm sure you have read up a lot. The most important thing to remember is be patient. Techniques take time to become second nature but they will and you will realize all of a sudden you aren't having to think before doing things again.

If you'd like to shoot me a PM I can point you to some pretty informative reading.
Big Tom likes this.

2015 GL1800 / Roadsmith HTS1800
IBA # 23804 (SS1K & BB1.5K)
I'm like an old thoroughbred...... I can still run the race -
Just ache more at the finish line and need more rest between outings.

LIFE IS GOOD !!! RIDING MAKES IT BETTER !!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrush View Post
You are indeed in for a new experience!! That third wheel puts a whole new spin on the entire thing. Not that you will never enjoy it again. On the contrary, Most of us actually have enjoyed it more now that we don't have the concerns two wheels presented. To be totally honest, I expect your first impression will be 'What Did I DO!!!!".. Give it a chance.

Learning to ride a trike in most cases takes a few months and maybe as much as 1000 miles of various roads. I'm sure you have read up a lot. The most important thing to remember is be patient. Techniques take time to become second nature but they will and you will realize all of a sudden you aren't having to think before doing things again.

If you'd like to shoot me a PM I can point you to some pretty informative reading.
Yes sir,
i'm all ears, message sent
Thank you for your help!

Ronnie

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Seasoned Member

In the past ten years the wife and I have put well over 100,000 miles on trikes. We current ride an '06 DFT. It past the 100,000 mile mark in June of this year. I started riding the trike after 40 years of two wheelers. Took about 500 miles to "get the hang of it". I now enjoy the trike more than I ever enjoyed two wheels. Particularly two up touring. It is a continual learning experience. The best way I can describe the difference is like this: It is similar to the difference between flying a fixed wing airplane and flying a helicopter. They are both flying an aircraft, both fun, just different.

Dan

'06 GL1800/DFT
IBA#42179
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I rode a HD Tri Glide for 3.5 years. Now that is a beast to ride, the push pull of the handlebars to move the front wheel would wear me out after a day of riding. But I was able to push it through the curves by pushing hard on the handlebars to swing the rear end around. Now, the GL1800 is totally different. The HD does not have a rake to the front end. And depending on your trike kit, the rake will feel like power steering compaired to the HD. I have had my Gl for a year now and still cannot take the curves fast, this monster will get away from me if I allow it. So until I get used to the rake, I take it slower. Just remember several things, first you never have to put your feet down, watch out for the fenders when you pull up to something or in the garage, plus the gas pumps. When you get it back and its descent weather for you, take it to a parking lot and move it around, pull the handlebars to the right and to the left, get the feel of doing that to turn it. With the HD you point the fairing the direction you want to go, with the GL you have to use your nose....or your eyes, and your hands will follow.

You are going to miss the lean at first, then it will become muscle memory and you will have as much fun or more riding the trike. You will be surprised of how much of the country side you will see now that your on the trike. Enjoy, have fun and install some things to make the wife happier.

Karen
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge384 View Post
I rode a HD Tri Glide for 3.5 years. Now that is a beast to ride, the push pull of the handlebars to move the front wheel would wear me out after a day of riding. But I was able to push it through the curves by pushing hard on the handlebars to swing the rear end around. Now, the GL1800 is totally different. The HD does not have a rake to the front end. And depending on your trike kit, the rake will feel like power steering compaired to the HD. I have had my Gl for a year now and still cannot take the curves fast, this monster will get away from me if I allow it. So until I get used to the rake, I take it slower. Just remember several things, first you never have to put your feet down, watch out for the fenders when you pull up to something or in the garage, plus the gas pumps. When you get it back and its descent weather for you, take it to a parking lot and move it around, pull the handlebars to the right and to the left, get the feel of doing that to turn it. With the HD you point the fairing the direction you want to go, with the GL you have to use your nose....or your eyes, and your hands will follow.

You are going to miss the lean at first, then it will become muscle memory and you will have as much fun or more riding the trike. You will be surprised of how much of the country side you will see now that your on the trike. Enjoy, have fun and install some things to make the wife happier.

Karen
Karen, first of all thank you, for your post..I just got a call today that my new trike will be delivered tomorrow 12/27/16........I'm excited, but can't really ride it later in March or April (too cold/snow/salt) here in Massachusetts.
Wife did say she will NOW ride that I'm triked out.. But after reading all I can about trike riding, I'm sure I'm in for a big surprise, on learning how to ride all over again... Been riding for 50 years on but always on two wheels...
Ronnie
ps: wish me luck!

Ronnie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captron View Post
I really had to laugh at the comment that Goldrush made.....What did I do. That was exactly what my buddy said to me after triking his bike and one month after that comment he told me that he should have done it sooner and he loved his trike. The biggest thing that he had to overcome was trying to put his foot down when coming to a stop. When I rode with him he could pull over practically anywhere and I couldn't on 2 wheels. Lots of advantages on the trike. Enjoy!

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page