Trike endorsement required - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Trike endorsement required

As of June 2, 2008 the state of South Carolina has added a trike/sidecar endorsement on the drivers license. Unless you had obtained a waiver prior to them creating the endorsement you must test to have it put on your license..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Re: Trike endorsement required

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIKE 47
As of June 2, 2008 the state of South Carolina has added a trike/sidecar endorsement on the drivers license. Unless you had obtained a waiver prior to them creating the endorsement you must test to have it put on your license..
Revenue?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
cjmitch

So let me get this straight....
You get a MC endorsement .. pay the bucks...
then to drive a hack, or a trike you have to take ANOTHER TEST, and PAY ANOTHER FEE!!!???

Is that what your saying???
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmitch
So let me get this straight....
You get a MC endorsement .. pay the bucks...
then to drive a hack, or a trike you have to take ANOTHER TEST, and PAY ANOTHER FEE!!!???

Is that what your saying???
As We know, the skills required to ride a trike or a hack are different than those required to ride a bike. I would have no quarrel with testing if I had confidence that the "testing" would be adequate. I don't.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364
Quote:
Revenue?
I AGREE

Upside OF Iran Nuke deal -The world will end soon so I won't miss anything after USA gets NUKED

IBA # 40576

1974 Honda 550
1979 GL 1000
1998 Valkyie
1999 GL 1500
2001 HD Ultra Classic
2002 ABS GL 1800
2006 CVO Ultra Classic SE
2008 ABS L3 GL 1800
2012 ABS L3 GL 1800
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
IBTrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364
Quote:
Revenue?
I AGREE
+10

Pure horsecrap. More bureaucratic nonsense.

Elect Obama. He will fix everything.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

According to the DMV site, the endorsement is DM. D being your standard drivers license and M being motorcycle. I am not sure about the seperate testing required but I plan to find out. One of the bad things about SC and motorcycle licenses are that most people don't have them. They ride on a learners permit and just keep renewing it because most of them can't pass the skills test.

I know of one guy that has ridden on his permit for 10 years, just keeps renewing it every year. So it may be a "revenue" scam, but anything to get people to demonstrate competency is a good thing in my book.

Mike
Columbia, SC

"Truth does not depend on a consensus of opinion"
US Army 79-99
08 Metallic Red GL 1800
GWRRA # 295926
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Don't worry, it won't end there. I've been driving a truck for 30yrs and have a class A CDL with 5 endosements. The HAZ/MAT has to be re-taken every time you renew your license. Last year the re-test went from $5.00 to $25.00 and now you have to be fingerprinted and checked by the FBI and homeland security.(Additional $100.00) So now my "drivers license" cost $200.00 each time, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed except for my desire for a new career...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim & Diane Owen

"Making it home on our Wing and a Prayer"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg120
According to the DMV site, the endorsement is DM. D being your standard drivers license and M being motorcycle. I am not sure about the seperate testing required but I plan to find out. One of the bad things about SC and motorcycle licenses are that most people don't have them. They ride on a learners permit and just keep renewing it because most of them can't pass the skills test.

I know of one guy that has ridden on his permit for 10 years, just keeps renewing it every year. So it may be a "revenue" scam, but anything to get people to demonstrate competency is a good thing in my book.

Mike
Columbia, SC
Revenue!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I checked with DMV and this is a fact now. They just published the Manual and it appears that it is the exact same one that Washington uses. Right down to the riding test. I would think that if you can do this on two wheels you should be able to do it on three.

So definately Revenue....

"Truth does not depend on a consensus of opinion"
US Army 79-99
08 Metallic Red GL 1800
GWRRA # 295926

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3024 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page