Lehman Trikes - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Lehman Trikes

Is there anyone else out there which has had problems with the Lehman Monarch II trike kit. I had my kit installed last Nov and have since had:
1. The right rear brake caliper fell off while going down the road
2. The differential pinion shaft seal started leaking
3. Got it back from the shop and the seal started to leak again in less than 200 miles.
4. The rear fenders both started to crack 1/8 inch above bottom corner of tail lights, moving forward toward the fender well. Trike spent over a month in shop to fix problem.
As this has all happened with in 1600 miles, my concerns are did I end up with a lemon or is this going to continue? 1/3 of the miles I have put on it has been back and forth to the shop, which Lehman does not compensate for the gas to have a car follow you to and from when dropping it off and picking it up.
I wrote to Lehman, but it would seem customer relations is not in their forte. Since i cannot get answers from lehman i will try to find out other ways. Never heard a word back from them about the problems I am experiencing and their Quality Control Department.

03 with 07 Lehman Trike Kit
U.S.MC. 72-86
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Re: Lehman Trikes

No problems here....had to replace the universal joint and they were very helpful in giving me the part number which was obtainable from a local parts store.

Things do go wrong from time to time with every brand...sounds like you just happened to get one made on Monday morning after a long holiday.

Are you sure that you did not ship it somewhere on Haulbikes.com?

Gary Peitz
2012 Harley Davidson Tri Glide
Christian Motorcyclists Association
GWRRA

USAF 1964-1969
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I did not ship it anywhere. The problem is Lehman Quality and lack of customer satisfaction. You may be right that I got the monday edition after a long weekend. One would think that after writing to the President and CEO of the company he would respond with some sort of customer relations letter, but not one word, which is fine because everything that now goes wrong will be posted somewhere. I tried the nice way but Lehmans lack of customers concern shows me where they stand. They still have two and a half years to fix things and given enough problems I may file against them under the lemon laws, I am already close to doing it anyhow as the trike has spent more time in the shop than I have enjoyed riding the "LEADER".

U.S.MC. 72-86
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Gary if you would have seen some of the replys to an earlier post of mine and talk to some other Lehman dealers I can honestly say Lehman is having a lot of Mondays lately. And this comes from a guy who just had his kit basically rebuilt by the 3rd dealer and 6th time it was in the shop. I bought mine last september and since then have only been able to get 2100 miles on it because like Wayne all it was doing was going in and out of the shop. John Lehman is not at the helm anymore and lehman expects its dealers to pick up the pieces. Ive had a couple of dealers tell me about things theyve had to do to the kits after a factory install. Good installers put the kits on better than the factory does. If you know the dealer and his installs go for it. If you dont -Beware! I wont go into detail on the rest of the issues besides whats posted but Lehman is not what they used to be. And unfortunately were paying for it.

2007 Lehman Monarch II
One day at a time works fine for me!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Wayne I almost forgot. Lehman has had a lot of problems with the left brake side. My dealer said mine was unusual that it was always the right side. I had a lot of brake noise and sometimes pulling to that side.When installing brake drums on an auto, the center hole in the drum is camphored to align the drum on the axle. Lehmans drum/rotor does NOT contact the center hub of the axle and does not center the drum/rotor. And some of the dealers dont know or dont care and dont realize the issues that this can cause. If you ask most dealers they will play dumb on the subject. Al was the one who fixed my issues when the other 2 couldnt. If anything I urge you to give him a call and tell him Mike Maskowski recommended you and just see what he can do for you.
Mike

2007 Lehman Monarch II
One day at a time works fine for me!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

BIGMICK,
My dealer has made a list of items he needs to check on every kit coming out of the factory. This costs the dealer time and money to do the factories job. In turn when I get it home I am looking at everything to make sure they too did not miss something. Don't get me wrong, I love the looks and the ride, it's the down time and what I perceive as a Give a S!@# attitude of the Lehman leadership. When looking at trikes i was loking for reliability above all. After talking to a few people , it seemed Lehman was the answer. I am only putting this out there so people can make an informed decission. My dealer has told me of other problems with Lehman but I won't post those as I cannot confirm them nor are they the problems I have encountered. Everyone consider this, when the rear brake caliper fell off, had I been on highway in traffic and needed to brake fast and hard for any reason, who knows what would have ben the outcome. Luck had it I was doing 35 mph and slowing down when it happened.

U.S.MC. 72-86
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I am sorry you gentlemen are having problems with your Lehman trikes. It is good that you post the problems and the response from the company. This gives others information to think about when shopping for a trike. My Motor Trike may not be the best trike or have the best ride, but I have had it nearly three years and the only problem was learning the proper method of bleeding the brakes. Other than that, it has been bullet proof. (knock on wood, please)

Riding a '02 Orange GW with a '05 Motor Trike kit and a 2014 Cognac RT-Ltd Spyder.
SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retired USAF and Sony Corp. 83 years old, MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Member

The sad fact is that today we are talking about Lehman, in the past both Champion and CSC have been found to be guilty of Pi__ POOR customer service when it comes to problems with installation jobs, and poor Q/C of outsourced parts. Until the triking public demands that the manufacturers' status quo of business practices change, nothing will change. That is except that the product get more expensive every year.
Just my opinion as a fellow victim.
Mike
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

There is no doubt a lot of truth in what you say. Until the owners demand the return of quality it will stay as is . This is my reasoning for posting my problem. Others can read and determine what they want. Had Lehman bothered to contact me with my concerns and tried to talk with me I never would have put it out there, but it would seem Mr. Patterson could care less, he has my money in his pocket. The dealer is taking the brunt of it, but the problems come from the factory. I talked witht the dealer, these kits come assembled. After a lot of this started I was told they now have a check list of problems to check for coming out of the factory. Why should the dealer eat these costs. LEHMAN STEP UP AND TALK TO ME!

U.S.MC. 72-86
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned

If you look at my bike history signature, you will see that I had a new 02 Lehman kit on a Honda Valkyrie. It was a great looking kit, but its quality was terrible. I actually bought it straight from Lehman headquarters in Canada. I was lied to about the mileage on the bike, told it had a CB, when it did not, and had numerous mechanical problems. I talked to John Lehman personally at one of the Wing Dings and he shunned me and promised to get me help. Never got it. Sold the trike to a dealer and am now converting to my wing to a Champion. Lehman produces a good product, but their quality control is at the bottom as well as their integrity.

I feel strong making dealers stand up to their promises. Large company's don't want to waste lawyer time and corporate expenses in a law suit. With what I know now, I would not hesitate to sue the company to make them stand behind their products. Don't get me wrong, I am not sue happy, but if it is the only way to get justice for the highly price trike kits, I am for doing that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2986 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page