GL1800Riders Forums banner

GL1800 ECM Reflash results

33K views 68 replies 36 participants last post by  ppowers67 
#1 ·
Here is a look at the first pass after retuning and reflashing the ECM on the dyno. More tuning work remains, and I suspect more gains will be made in addition to this, since the ignition timing hasn't even been touched yet.

See less See more
#29 ·
Fred
When Don starts production, how will it be handled ? Send him our ECM for reflash or will there be an exchange system so those of us far away don't lose the bike for weeks ? For those of us in Canada we all know Customs sometimes sit on packages for weeks before they release them.

#30 ·
Fred
When Don starts production, how will it be handled ? Send him our ECM for reflash or will there be an exchange system so those of us far away don't lose the bike for weeks ? For those of us in Canada we all know Customs sometimes sit on packages for weeks before they release them.
I'm not sure, I'd have to ask him. Typically he likes to reflash the same ECM you send him and send it back. He turns them around the same day.

#31 ·
Just watching him and his guys work for just a little bit that cold morning.. I don't believe there is any GOOF off time involved Looks like a beehive,, No one sitting around , everybody had something and working on it.

#33 ·
It will be interesting to see what can be accomplished with the reflashing. I have read about a company that reflashes BMW R series bikes and gets impressive numbers for so little money invested. I doubt any big gains will be made with the wing with just the ECM. The most cost effective way to gain power on the Wing is to lose weight. By the looks of it most Goldwing riders are carrying 50-75HP around their waist!:lol:

#36 ·
Yyeeeehhh !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got home from Pennsylvania after picking up my Wing... Get in line folks! My bike had been setting parked since Wed. evening. It was about maybe 40 degrees there this morning when I picked it up.. It started instantly and I pulled off as quick but as easy I could getting ready for my usual burp and drop. NADA!! It runs as smoothly dead cold as it does after fully warmd now.. I tried at least half a dozen stop starts in the parking lot trying to make it stumble..

Then I pulled out on the road went two blocks and pulled up on the ramp to the highway for a quick test run before I headed back to Maryland. I hit second gear and started to nail it like I am used to doing to with a short accel ramp to merge with traffic. First time I have ever redlined the engine!

It pulled much harder and faster past the point I am accustomed to feling the nose drop. Clicked into 5th and tested it for pinging under full throttle load Nothing just a hard steady smooth pull until I had to let off..

Smooth healthier power band in all the gears no matter how low you upshift.

I filled it up at first gas station so I could test out how much this new power band was going to cost me,,, but I had already decided it was going to be worth a drop of a MPG or two to keep this new feeling.

145 miles later I pulled into the gas station down the street from my house and I squeezed 3.44 gallons into my tank for 42.1 MPG which is 3 mpg better than I get on a cruise control ride.. average speed was about 72... until I got near Bowie md on rt 301 and traffic was at a crawl for almost 4 miles at a walking pace.

I have not seen anything above 40 mpg when I get above 60 on this wing ever!!!

#40 ·
I really feel for those with the older ECUs but it shouldn't come as a surprise because I remember Fred relayed very early in the discussion of this project that Don had indicated when he started looking at the various years' ECUs, that Honda had made those so they could not be reflashed. My guess is Honda didn't want anyone changing things but figured out when they had to swap ECUs "correcting" the overheating issues, that it might be better for future "updates" if they could just be reflashed instead of replaced.

John

#41 ·
What prevents an 06-12 ECM from being put on an 01-05 ? Is the connectors different ? If so, would it be possible since at this stage Guhl pretty much knows the units inside and out that they could be changed/adapted ?

Mine is an 2010 so it makes no difference to me, but I'm curious.

#43 ·
It will be interesting to see what can be accomplished with the reflashing. I have read about a company that reflashes BMW R series bikes and gets impressive numbers for so little money invested. I doubt any big gains will be made with the wing with just the ECM. The most cost effective way to gain power on the Wing is to lose weight. By the looks of it most Goldwing riders are carrying 50-75HP around their waist!:lol:
Oh that hurts

#44 ·
What are the chances this will leave you stranded? I've had my Valkyrie leave me cold but since I was wise (rare) I carried my original with control module with me so it was a simple swap to get going again. My Prairie did it once to but I again with the lesson learned from the Valk had my OEM in tow or it would have been a long hike out of the wilderness.
For this reason, I think I would want to flash a new ECm and always have the OEM spare at home, just in case.

Fred
Any ideas on any potential MPG gains? And an approximate cost to flash and ship?

I defintely want to be in line though!

#45 ·
For this reason, I think I would want to flash a new ECm and always have the OEM spare at home, just in case.

Any ideas on any potential MPG gains? And an approximate cost to flash and ship?

I defintely want to be in line though!
Originally I heard approximately 375.00 for reflash with a one day turn around..
And if you read my first day report.. On trip back fromPa. to home in Md. at cruise set at traffic pace (70-72) and then about 5 miles of creeping for 45 minutes or so total of 145 miles I gor 42.1 mpg which is at least 3 mpg better than anything I have ever gotten once I passed 55 mph

#46 ·
What prevents an 06-12 ECM from being put on an 01-05 ? Is the connectors different ? If so, would it be possible since at this stage Guhl pretty much knows the units inside and out that they could be changed/adapted ?

Mine is an 2010 so it makes no difference to me, but I'm curious.
The 01-05s ECMs have 3 plugs and the later versions are only 2 plugs. Honda changed a bunch of the wiring harness as well to use the newer version. The O2 sensors were thrown out and A/F sensors are used on the later versions. There may be a few other things changed that I haven't looked closely at as well.

#49 ·
Sorry, but the ECMs in the 2002 - 2005 GL1800's is not capable of being reflashed.

OK people I am fishing here BUT I "THOUGHT" That at one time "someone" said a v6 honda car ecu matched up to the GL plugins??? (& could be reflashed)just asking I do not remember where I read this info???

#50 ·
What about over heating at slow speeds?

Well I have to say Kniterider that your initial testing sounds very encouraging. I guess that we will have to wait till summer to see what effect the new remapping of the ECM will have on riding the goldwing at slow speeds. I was stuck in LA traffic more than a few times last year watching my temperature gauge come close to over heating before traffic picked up.

#51 ·
Well I have to say Kniterider that your initial testing sounds very encouraging. I guess that we will have to wait till summer to see what effect the new remapping of the ECM will have on riding the goldwing at slow speeds. I was stuck in LA traffic more than a few times last year watching my temperature gauge come close to over heating before traffic picked up.

I hope to have an idea of how well it handles a heat load by end of April.. I will be driving down into southern Texas pulling a HF crgo trailer converted to tow a motorcycle. I will be picking up a Honda CT90. according to weather.com I can expect 80 degree temps. Plus I will be going up thru Houston I think so heat heavy load and traffic,, Hope that will give everybody an honest beat down test on the new reflash in my wing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.