GL1800Riders Forums banner

GL1800 ECM Reflash results

33K views 68 replies 36 participants last post by  ppowers67 
#1 ·
Here is a look at the first pass after retuning and reflashing the ECM on the dyno. More tuning work remains, and I suspect more gains will be made in addition to this, since the ignition timing hasn't even been touched yet.

See less See more
#55 ·
I hope to have an idea of how well it handles a heat load by end of April.. I will be driving down into southern Texas pulling a HF crgo trailer converted to tow a motorcycle. I will be picking up a Honda CT90. according to weather.com I can expect 80 degree temps. Plus I will be going up thru Houston I think so heat heavy load and traffic,, Hope that will give everybody an honest beat down test on the new reflash in my wing
Any updates??

#56 ·
Any updates??
I've been running mine now for over a month in Texas in temps up to 95 degrees, and I have not noticed any changes in the bikes operating temperature.

I swapped bikes with another 2012 owner last week, and he commented that my bike felt like it had more power when he rode it. After riding his bike and then getting back on mine, I noticed the same thing.

#57 ·
What are the chances this will leave you stranded? I've had my Valkyrie leave me cold but since I was wise (rare) I carried my original with control module with me so it was a simple swap to get going again. My Prairie did it once to but I again with the lesson learned from the Valk had my OEM in tow or it would have been a long hike out of the wilderness.
For this reason, I think I would want to flash a new ECm and always have the OEM spare at home, just in case.
I have re-thought my position on that comment. This is a different animal from the ones on my Valkyrie and Prairie which were aftermarket modules leaving your OEM module on the shelf (but I carried mine in the bag). The electronics failed on the aftermarket modules, not the map. Since here you are using your OEM module (read same electronics) with a different map, there is little danger you would get left stranded somewhere because a transistor (or whatever) fried any more than your un-re-mapped (izzat a word?) OEM module would.

#58 ·
I checked the map (pun intended) and their shop is four hours from home. That could be a day's round trip, but pulling the shelter in a parking lot is not my idea of fun. An overnight there and back would have me wasting less time than our average rain cycle here in the armpit of the world.

Map Text Line Atlas Ecoregion

#59 ·
I've been running mine now for over a month in Texas in temps up to 95 degrees, and I have not noticed any changes in the bikes operating temperature.

I swapped bikes with another 2012 owner last week, and he commented that my bike felt like it had more power when he rode it. After riding his bike and then getting back on mine, I noticed the same thing.
Sorry guess my updates did not cross over from my trip log.. I completed my ride down to beaumont Texas to pick up a small bike for another member on here.I left my house in freezing temps and arrived in texas pulling a 185+ pound trailer next day in 90+ degree temps. Loaded the bike onto the trailer and started pulling North towards Wisconsin. was open sailing most of the way until I hit several long stretches of construction still in 80+ degree heat,, in creep mode was worried about that dreaded speed where fans wont come on and not enough airflow to cool radiators. temp guage got up high enough numerous times to activate fans,,, But guage never went up past the halfway point. I used regular grade fuel all the way except when I loaded up the larger bike in Franklin Ohio and started pulling the hills in stop and go traffic of pennsylvania.

MPG with just the trailer was about what i used to get empty pulling NOTHING...with the small bike on trailer ,, ran about 35 at 70-72. with heavier bike KZ440 it dropped to a low at one point , pulling the hills to 28-30.. but bike and trailer was over 600 pounds.

#60 ·
If I am missing any questiosn or things you want to know about PM me

#62 ·
What, if any, is the benifit to this on a 2009??
I have NO clue sir never ridden a 2009.. BUT that being said my 2012 runs much better than when it was brand new. Better performance from a stop and a roll on

#64 ·
The modifications in the fuel and timing maps should help all model year GL1800's from 2006 to 2014.
Glad he piped in,, He has the other bike experience,, I can only tell you about mine..

#65 ·
:roll::roll: DONT HAVE NEW ONE (05) SO NOT FOR ME . WHAT ABOUT WARRANTY - YOU HAVE TO RESET BACK TO STOCK BEFORE YOU TAKE IN OR WOULDNT THEY NOTICE ???

#66 ·
:roll::roll: DONT HAVE NEW ONE (05) SO NOT FOR ME . WHAT ABOUT WARRANTY - YOU HAVE TO RESET BACK TO STOCK BEFORE YOU TAKE IN OR WOULDNT THEY NOTICE ???
According to the shop mechanic at local honda he said they would not be able to tell with the equipment at localevel,,, since they are not allowed to make ECM mods,, in fact he spent first 20 minutes telling me it can't be done on any year honda,,until I let him take mine for a ride he quickly came up with an idea to retro fit a newer ecm in the older wings. so he could get this done to his

#67 ·
Keep us posted if he comes up with something - i avg 34/35 mpg so any + would be great .

#68 ·
I checked the map (pun intended) and their shop is four hours from home. That could be a day's round trip, but pulling the shelter in a parking lot is not my idea of fun. An overnight there and back would have me wasting less time than our average rain cycle here in the armpit of the world.

View attachment 54713
WOW, i've been there every year for the last 4 years on vacation. CRAZY small world. My mom lives in Adamstown. We have gone to the community pool for Fireworks and carnival for memorial day weekend. Too bad i'm not going to be able to go this year...

Shag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.