GL1800Riders Forums banner

GL1800 ECM Reflash results

33K views 68 replies 36 participants last post by  ppowers67 
#1 ·
Here is a look at the first pass after retuning and reflashing the ECM on the dyno. More tuning work remains, and I suspect more gains will be made in addition to this, since the ignition timing hasn't even been touched yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I'm reading this right - roughly 4 additional horsepower and 3 ftlb of torque gain?

#3 ·
What are the chances this will leave you stranded? I've had my Valkyrie leave me cold but since I was wise (rare) I carried my original with control module with me so it was a simple swap to get going again. My Prairie did it once to but I again with the lesson learned from the Valk had my OEM in tow or it would have been a long hike out of the wilderness.

#4 ·
Don told me he is staying on the conservative side of the tuning because He knows I am heading out within a couple of weeks for a 3600 miles quick trip.. And I will let him know the results in seat of the pants results gas mileage and this trip wil be from texas heat to Wisconsin cold relatively lightly loaded( just an empty cargo traileron way to texas to having a Honda CT90 on it up to Wisconsin then back home to Maryland with as many of Rails cookies as I can sneak out with

#5 ·
Don told me he is staying on the conservative side of the tuning because He knows I am heading out within a couple of weeks for a 3600 miles quick trip.. And I will let him know the results in seat of the pants results gas mileage and this trip wil be from texas heat to Wisconsin cold relatively lightly loaded( just an empty cargo traileron way to texas to having a Honda CT90 on it up to Wisconsin then back home to Maryland with as many of Rails cookies as I can sneak out with
This is great fine and dandy on more horse power but........I thought the reason for the reprogramming was to fix the cold stumble problems we have.So do you or did you have this issue and did it change?

#6 ·
This is great fine and dandy on more horse power but........I thought the reason for the reprogramming was to fix the cold stumble problems we have.So do you or did you have this issue and did it change?
He already has a tune to fix the cold start stumble.

The one he is working on now is to increase power, and possibly gas mileage at the same time.

#8 ·
When I dropped my bike off Thursday morning it was about 38 degrees and was not expected to any warmer Friday which was when he started work on it.. He was warned by me that if he actually tried to ride it around to whereever the dyno is to be ready to catch the stumble on takle off since Don has the same problem I do vertically challenged. he told me that got fixed the minute he did the basic adjustment ,, now he is going for the cream!

#10 ·
I'm just very happy someone is taking the time to experiment on this with the GL1800 - :thumbup:

Keep up the flow of information :thumbup:

#11 ·
Nice gain for not even messing with ignition timing! I think these motors have a lot of untapped potential in them, just got to find the right combination to do it. The right intake, exhaust & remap will make a huge difference. My 09 Vmax was 176hp/115tq stock. Velocity stacks with K&Ns, cat removed and a Holeshot exhaust & ECU reflashed it put down 197hp/126tq. This big 6 with similar mods and a map for 93 octane should make some very impressive numbers!

#12 ·
What are the chances this will leave you stranded? I've had my Valkyrie leave me cold but since I was wise (rare) I carried my original with control module with me so it was a simple swap to get going again. My Prairie did it once to but I again with the lesson learned from the Valk had my OEM in tow or it would have been a long hike out of the wilderness.
Wow something like that could really be a deal breaker !!! I sure hope nothing like that ever happens with any GL1800

#13 ·
This is why I wanted to go this route instead of the aftermarket cut the wires and tap in type setup with an power commander... This is the factory computer just updated by DON

#14 ·
This is why I wanted to go this route instead of the aftermarket cut the wires and tap in type setup with an power commander... This is the factory computer just updated by DON
Power Commanders have not required cutting/tapping of any wires for several years. You unplug the factory ECM and plug the PC into its male/female connectors.

#17 ·
It is a 2012 with 29500 miles on it Completely stock no exhaust mods no intake mods,,,

#19 ·
Its way out of my hands My bike is 140 miles away.I get my info from Don about how he feels about what he trying and how soon I can pick it up Which right now is scheduled for Friday morning at 0900

#20 ·
Map

Hey Fred,
When he gets to testing timing changes, he may want to try with standard 87 octane and then rerun using 89 octane. That may allow a little more increase.

Rick

#21 ·
It has high test in it now not by choice the little dohinky gas staion down the street from his shop was all out of regular and mid grade GO FIGURE so had to put a few gallons of $4.05 a gallon stuff in it I told Don that as I dropped it off though

#22 ·
Used to be a company in Calif that sold modified pressure regulators.
.. From memory, I seem to recall pressure on the rail was supposed to be 50psi and they boosted it to 57psi?
.. does that sound right?

.. Anyway..
It was supposed to "make more HP" and eliminate the surging after high speed playing..
... It did eliminate the surging on my 06 but I never felt any extra ponies.

I wonder if the remapping that Don can do could now utilize that extra pressure?

..I think I've still got one or two put away someplace..

Dennis

#23 ·
My ECM has been reflashed with Don's latest maps, and I'll start testing it next week. I made an incorrect statement about the graph I posted, there were some minor timing changes made as well as fueling on that map. Don has now added a small amount of additional timing beyond what he had yesterday, and has reflashed both my ECM and the one in kniteriders bike. I should have my ECM back on Friday, and will install it and start testing both performance and fuel mileage and see how it goes.

#25 ·
Don may want to get at least a little bit of road miles on a unit to see if anything is buggy before he starts in quantity.. I promised a lot of different road miles over next 3 weeks so ,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.