ECM Reflash # 3 - Page 2 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Banned

I pulled the trigger and ordered the whole enchalada from Torq masters yesterday. My stuff should be here by next Friday at latest i hope,, Can not wait to see how the wing responds to better breathing. Getting the torqtubes and the new style Daytonas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniterider View Post
I pulled the trigger and ordered the whole enchalada from Torq masters yesterday. My stuff should be here by next Friday at latest i hope,, Can not wait to see how the wing responds to better breathing. Getting the torqtubes and the new style Daytonas
I would assume from my HD Dayz that new pipes, Torqmaster and new high flow airfilter (K&N), will lean out the mixture due to the increase air flow and require a new ECM tune. Good news is that should result in a very light front tire

Rick

2010 GL1800 ADA (Canadian eh!)
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx (Back road ride)
1995 FLSTC (sold to a nice family)
post #13 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
All I gotta say is, when you twist the throttle on this thing, you better be ready to launch.
Fred,

you still riding a 2009???

Les

post #14 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

I can't say that I see a huge increase in Tq & HP, but I do understand that improved throttle response could be well worth the cost. I was over on Don's website, but I could not find any pricing info. How many $$$ for the re-flash? Was the bike on the dyno stock, or were there other modifications (exhaust, etc.)?

2012 HD CVO Ultra
2010 GL1800 Level 3
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000
DS#1515
post #15 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Just got back from a 150 mile ride. Gas mileage remains unchanged so far, but I was playing quite a bit. I'll need to run a couple more gas tanks through it to have a better feel for it.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook
post #16 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Member

I just returned from a nice lunch ride with Fred H., Jim Hughes(Jhughes556), and Bill and Brenda(jokerguy). We met at the convenience store at Santo, Tx, on state hiway4. For our part of Texas, this is the south end of one of the better"twistie" roads in the area. When I pulled in, all the others were there and kicking tires. Fred came over and ask me to hop on his bike, take it for a run up the road and back and give him my impression. I am riding an 06 with 72,000 on it. It is running very good-Fred just did the valves and maintenance on it. I would like to move up to a newer bike, so I jump at the chance to ride his 12 model.

When I pulled out on the road, I immediately noticed a much quicker throttle response. I rolled it back to see how 1st and 2nd felt and was very impressed with how strong it felt. It seemed to hit that "set you back in the seat" power quicker than I am accustom and was very strong from shift to shift. it was a bout 2 miles to the 1st set of curves so I ran it up to 85+, it felt really strong.

As I approached the curves, I slowed(its not my bike) so that I could get a good feel of the power through and out of the corners. About 1/2 way through the 1st corner, i rolled the throttle back to power out of the corner--WOW ! It jumped around the corner. I really had to think about the throttle response-It was so much quicker than what I am used too. It was very strong around the corners. from the top of 4th to the bottom of 5th can be a bit lagging if the rps are not right. This bike was very strong through those gears and I was not working to keep the rpm's up, it just was a just stonger there.

I know the bike is newer and less miles than what I ride, but this bike has much better throttle response and power through all the gears than what I am used too. I need to save my coins and get the ecm done on my 06 so I can keep up!! Thanks for the ride Fred!! Oh yea, the ribs at Hashknife bbq north of Mineral Wells, Texas are GREAT!!!!

06 "GOLD" Wing
DS # 738
Bridgestone BT 45
195-55-16
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16
post #17 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Member

I had my second ride on Fred's beast today. The first time was after he installed the reflash #2 and my impression then was that there sure seemed to be a noticeable difference in giddy up. Pretty hard to put your finger on it but there was definitely a difference.

Todays ride with reflash #3 was an attention getter. Grabbing a full handful of throttle in 1st and 2nd gear is very impressive. I ran the revs up to just under 5500 rpms but didn't hit the limiter and the power increase is noticeable throughout the range in the lower gears. I don't know if this correlates with the reports of improved throttle response, but I sure enjoyed whatever it was. Although these "tests" are completely subjective and without the benefit of any test equipment and real data, there is a definite an improvement over the stock load as observed when I got back on my bike.

It will be interesting to see what the dyno data shows and if any mileage improvements are realized.
Thanks for letting me dance with the beast Fred....
J

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
2012 GL 1800 ABS
2008 GL 1800 Airbag
2002 GL 1800 Level 1
1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
1973 CB 750 Gold
Darksider #443
post #18 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 01:20 AM

Much greater powerband. I WANT A REFLASH!
post #19 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Seasoned Member

All of us with the early wings feel left out Perhaps the reflash one day will be available for the 01 to 05 Fred ?
post #20 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 AM
ADMIN - Mod2

Anyone done a trike yet?
.. An ECM optimized for the super size girls would definitely be a worthwhile improvement.

Dennis

....Life....

The problem with closed-minded people is that their mouths are always open.

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 640 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page