ECM reflash???? trouble? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniterider View Post
Well even without the DYNO chart Don did of my poor departed WING, showing gains most of the way up from idle.. My seat of the pants feel was wonderful and gas mileage improved enough for me to want to keep it.
I wasn't trying to insult Don. Just pointing out that different bikes of the same year act differently. And that all maps seem to have unexplainable anomalies in them. I applaud Don for his efforts!!! I wish I had the proper year bike for this work.

BTW, I never really read what happened to you, but thank goodness you're still here with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmitch View Post
Lets see... last time I checked, Army, Marines, and Airforce BEATS lame fat goldwing rider with a gun
2004 GL1800AT
2000 CBR929RR
1987 CR500R
1982 MB5
1981 CB900F
1971 CB836K1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Moore View Post
Don did call me back and said he would do what ever he could to make me happy with my bike. We are about to leave on vacation, he said to call when we return. He said I could have carbon build up that will not let the new flash work right. He said to try a little higher octane to see if that helps. I told him I would run a load of sea-foam through it also and see how that works. I will try almost anything to get it to work like everyone else's before I send it back to Don. Fred, you are right. He want's everyone to be happy. Thank you Fred for talking to Don with ideas. I hope everything works great by the end of our trip.
Alan, Don and I discussed your bike, and he showed me the changes made to the fuel mapping on the original 06 map versus the modified map. I don't know how many miles are on your bike, but it is possible that you have a slightly higher compression ratio on your engine due to carbon build up, which could cause issues with amount of timing advance added on map # 3. I'd suggest running several tanks of premium fuel through it and see if the mileage and performance improves. If it does, then we will know that the timing on map # 3 is a bit too advanced for your bike, and you'll probably need to drop back to reflash #2.

What we think may be happening with your bike is that the knock sensors are picking up engine pinging, and when they do, they greatly reduce the amount of timing advance, even beyond what the original timing was. The result would be a loss in power and mileage. So if you go too far with spark advance, the result can be a loss in power when the knock sensors tell the ECM to drop the timing way back. Our guess is this may be what is happening to your bike. Running a higher octane fuel should reduce any potential for knocking to occur in the first place, so that would be you're best short term solution.

By the way, Chevron Techron would be the best fuel additive to use, since it can clean out carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber. Other fuel cleaners aren't able to do this. Just don't use more than one bottle between oil changes.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Revisit ECM trouble!

I am now home from vacation and over 7,000 miles. Great ride, great sites and a lot of fun. The ECM still is not right. I ride two wheels and had two of my friends on three wheels with me the whole trip. Nose to tail we all went the same roads and filled up with gas at the same times. My bike took .1 to .3 gallons per fill up MORE than the three wheelers. [3 to 4 gallons per fill-up] I tried adatives to clean out and high test gas and no ethenol gas. Nothing helped. They would always out pull me and when they just twist the grip to pass, I had to gear down and try to catch up. Same thing in the mtns. I was about to think my bike was worn out. When we got home I went by a friendly honda dealer and he put a new 2006 ECM in my hands. I went home and in 2 hours was rideing again. Now thats the way it's pose to run. Just roll on the throtle and go without gearing it down. I can again out pull the three wheelers. I did call Don again and talked to him about it. I do not think he did anything wrong with my ECM but he my not be able to check everything that goes out. I am getting it ready to send back to Don. I told him it felt like the timeing was retarded, no power. Don said he would check it, fix and return.

Alan Moore 2006 Dark Red GL1800
Darksider #18 RIKEN 205/55X16 @34 lbs.
Guyton, GA.
Changed over to;
Dunlop Sport 5000, 195/60X16 @35 lbs.
Michelin - Pilot Activ Rear Tire - 130/70X18 @ 38 lbs.
Dunlop Sport Signature 205/60X16 @ 38 lbs.

Change back to
Dunlop Sport 5000, 195/60X16
Much better Tire

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Been pretty quiet. Any updates on the flash?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

reflash update......

I had talked to Don again, sent ECM back to him and had the timing advanced 4 degrees across the board over stock settings. It raised the mpg by .9 to 1 over stock. I think I sould have had him take it to 6 or 8 degrees above stock advance. Thier is no pinging at all with 4 over. I will call Don on monday, 9-8-14. I still hope for the best.

Alan Moore 2006 Dark Red GL1800
Darksider #18 RIKEN 205/55X16 @34 lbs.
Guyton, GA.
Changed over to;
Dunlop Sport 5000, 195/60X16 @35 lbs.
Michelin - Pilot Activ Rear Tire - 130/70X18 @ 38 lbs.
Dunlop Sport Signature 205/60X16 @ 38 lbs.

Change back to
Dunlop Sport 5000, 195/60X16
Much better Tire
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

How's it running now?

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 784 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page