TIP for maintaining your F4 Customs windshield..... - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

TIP for maintaining your F4 Customs windshield.....

If you would like to keep your F4 windshield in great condition for years to come, follow our simple cleaning instructions (glass cleaner and paper towels) on a regular basis. To keep your rain shedding at it best, use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol periodically. This removes any build up of invisible debris that may be creating surface tension that will inhibit the movement of rain from your shield. Do this twice, as the first application breaks loose this layer and the second cleaning will virtually remove any remaining debris. Your rain shedding will come back to "as new" performance. As always, call with any questions or comments.

F4 Customs, LLC
"The Motorcycle Windshield Guys"
330-968-4644
sales@f4customs.com
www.f4customs.com
http://www.facebook.com/F4CustomsWindshields

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low pricing is forgotten."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the tips.

So I should quit using Lemon Pledge and a terry cloth towel?

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

John

'06 White CSC Trike

Places I've ridden.....

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
Thanks for the tips.

So I should quit using Lemon Pledge and a terry cloth towel?
highpockets, we strongly recommend that, if you have an F4 Customs windshield, you DO NOT use waxy or oily cleaners or anything other that a CLEAN paper towel to clean it. You will never scratch an F4 Customs windshield with a paper towel. A microfiber or terry cloth towel that is new is fine; however, if you are re-using or laundering these, then you run the risk of scratching your windshield with microscopic particles embedded in the towel. These microscopic scratches will eventually reach a threshold where you will begin to see a haze. On an F4 Customs shield, this is not something you can polish out. The same thing happens on your painted surfaces, but you can buff these out.

The second reason to not use cleaners such as Pledge, Plexus, etc. is that these will apply a film to the surface that then allows microscopic debris to become embedded in the film. These particles will create surface tension that will reduce the rain shedding ability of the shield. The F4 surface, when clean, will shed rain like no other shield.

Use F4 Customs Windshield Cleaner (or your favorite glass cleaner) and paper towels, and your F4 Customs windshield will look new years from now.

F4 Customs, LLC
"The Motorcycle Windshield Guys"
330-968-4644
sales@f4customs.com
www.f4customs.com
http://www.facebook.com/F4CustomsWindshields

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low pricing is forgotten."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

I've been using the F4 windshield cleaner after every ride. Mine looks like the first day I installed it. Thanks for the additional tips.

Rich / Rock-N-Roll 4 Ever ~ Lost In The 50s
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Customs View Post
highpockets, we strongly recommend that, if you have an F4 Customs windshield, you DO NOT use waxy or oily cleaners or anything other that a CLEAN paper towel to clean it. You will never scratch an F4 Customs windshield with a paper towel. A microfiber or terry cloth towel that is new is fine; however, if you are re-using or laundering these, then you run the risk of scratching your windshield with microscopic particles embedded in the towel. These microscopic scratches will eventually reach a threshold where you will begin to see a haze. On an F4 Customs shield, this is not something you can polish out. The same thing happens on your painted surfaces, but you can buff these out.

The second reason to not use cleaners such as Pledge, Plexus, etc. is that these will apply a film to the surface that then allows microscopic debris to become embedded in the film. These particles will create surface tension that will reduce the rain shedding ability of the shield. The F4 surface, when clean, will shed rain like no other shield.

Use F4 Customs Windshield Cleaner (or your favorite glass cleaner) and paper towels, and your F4 Customs windshield will look new years from now.

Thanks for the great explanation and it all make perfect since. I'm switching to paper towels and glass cleaner. I purchased some F4 Custom Windshield Cleaner and I'll try that first, but that stuff is just a bit pricey. I may use the glass cleaner everyday and use the F4 CWC once and a while.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

John

'06 White CSC Trike

Places I've ridden.....

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Great just great

I just bought a can of plexus and cleaned twice with micro-fiber cloth

Riding Hondas since the late 60's
Born July 24,1942 Grass Valley,CA
Grew up in Rocklin,Roseville,Lincoln,Ca.

Served with the 82nd and the 17th air cav in the mid 60's

PROUD TO BE FLORIDA PROWLER 777

Darksider #437
Now I have two Kumho 195 55 16 NRF's on the rear
Bridgestone 709 front

2006 GL 1800 converted to a Hannigan Jan 2013
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Location: Crystal City, Missouri 63019 (25 Miles South of St. Louis City)
My new F4 standard height tinted is on the way and will remember to use only glass cleaner and paper towel.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Post F4 Cleaning

I've only used fresh paper towels and glass cleaner on my F4 tinted shield since I've had it in November. Works nice. I will do the alcohol soon even though I have no problem with the water beading off the shield as of yet.

Thanks for the tip,
Chris
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Seasoned Member

I bought my F4+4 at Daytona Bike Week in 2009 and it still looks brand new. I have 2 miniscule chips in it from thrown rocks, but I use the F4 Cleaner and paper towels or an occasional micro-fiber towel. This windshield is off the charts compared to others and the optical clarity is second to none. Looking through the windshield is just as good as not having one. for F4.

2004 Black Cherry Trikeshop GL1800
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Trust in the Lord..." Proverbs 3:5
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

I installed an F4+4 last fall and thought I would throw out this cleaning tip. I tried several different versions of Windex well as generic brands. They all seemed to leave just a bit of a film on the windshield that took a little extra effort to wipe off. I then tried Invisible Glass (I bought it at Home Depot). It wipes off streak free just like the bottle says.....much much easier to use than Windex IMO.
Just thought I'd share in case others were getting steaks or some oily film with their cleaners.

Kurt

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 580 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page