Which are the best GL1800 tires? - GL1800Riders
View Poll Results: Which are the best GL1800 tires?
O.E.M. Dunlop 250's 9 2.37%
Dunlop Elite 3's 46 12.14%
New Bridgestones 138 36.41%
Metzeler 880 22 5.80%
Avon 27 7.12%
137 36.15%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Which are the best GL1800 tires?

Which are the best GL1800 tires?

I'm getting ready to buy my first set.
I've ridden 10K on my original Dunlop 250's and they need replacement soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

You may want to do a search on your question. I similar survey was started recently. There are also many other threads on the subject.

Jim Davis
No 2003 Illusion Blue GL1800
No 2001 KLR650

______IBA #7781_____
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Sorry.
I am new to this board and tried to do a search prior to this survey but my findings were inconclusive.
Many of you have extensive experience riding Goldwings and while I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, I've only had a wing for 2 years.
You're input would be greatly appreciated.
How long does it take to vote?
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I have only used the oes so I have nothing to input on the others.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Seasoned Member

I can only speak about the OEM Dunlops and Metz. I had traction problems with the Dunlops. The rear tire slipped on a wet tar snake at a speed of 10mph. I am not an aggressive rider. I think the rubber compound and lack of tread in the center are there downfall. The change to Metzeler was dramatic. Steering felt sluggish at first because of the added traction. Tread life is great on these too. The Metz have a bad rep for wobble. I thing the traction amplifies the wobble that was there to begin with.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
I have only used the oes so I have nothing to input on the others.
I felt that many of us are probably in this same situation and therefore, this survey could prove useful to a large number of riders. Because I divide my riding between 2 bikes I do not have as much experience as others that ride their wings exclusively.
Having owned my VTX for a longer time, I can comment with more experience on tire selection for that usage but the Goldwing is a different beast altogether!
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Young Buck

What "New Bridgestones" are you referring to?

There's only been one Bridgestone tire for the rear of the GL1800, the one that was introduced with the GL1800 in late '00.

There have been two different front Bridgestone tires... but neither would qualify as being a "new" design, as the newer of the two has been on the market for years now.

"Be side I payed a lot more for my Harley then You payed for your Honda and I respect My Bike more then You do yours...." --From a relative who owns a yellow Harley.

And to think, all this time that I've been RIDING my Goldwing... I could have been "respecting" it instead.

2008 GL1800 - Cabernet Red with NAV and ABS
GROM Audio AND2-HON1
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Its a difficult poll for most to answer since few of us have sampled all the choices. I won't buy the current Dunlop OE models due to the poor wet traction I experienced on my son's bike. I had the older B-stone front and current B-stone rear and was disappointed at poor life of rear. I have the Avons with the 70series rear now and have thoroughly enjoy them, but shudder at the reputation they have for failures with the GL1800 rear tire. The Avons have superior traction to other two brands I have ridden. I have not considered Metzlers due to the wobbles with which they are associated. The new Dunnies may be teh great hope, but who knows at this point. If I had to order today, it would be another set of Avons with the 70 series rear. Second choice would be B-stones knowing that they will only go 7 to 8 thousand miles.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgl02
What "New Bridgestones" are you referring to?

There's only been one Bridgestone tire for the rear of the GL1800, the one that was introduced with the GL1800 in late '00.

There have been two different front Bridgestone tires... but neither would qualify as being a "new" design, as the newer of the two has been on the market for years now.
OOPS!

Sorry, I thought they were new.

My mistake...

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll replace my Bridgestones with Bridgestones. Couldn't be happier. 17,000+ miles, no complaints.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page