Can you Fix Flat Tubeless Tire with a Tube? - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Can you Fix Flat Tubeless Tire with a Tube?

So, that's the question:

If you get a flat, from say a nail puncture, in a nice new tubeless tire on your Gold Wing, can you "fix" it and keep using it by putting an inner tube in it?

I have a friend who has the worst luck with brand new tires he puts on his bike. Just about every time he installs a new tire, he gets a nail or something in it when it has hardly any miles on it. You gotta hate that.

Why not hot-patch it, AND put an inner tube inside and keep on riding?

???

--------------------------------
2006 GL1800 - Arctic White
1987 GL1200A - Black/Gray
1976 GL1000 LTD - Candy Special Maroon
1971 CL100S Scrambler - Blue/White
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Usually the valve stem on a tube will not line up with the rim hole on a tubeless. It may be could be done with a lot of trial & error, but with the plugs & patches they have for tubeless tires they are far easier to get working than mounting a tube that you do not know if it pinched or not when you mounted it.

A good run flat car tire is the best tire for a M/C. M/C & tire Mfg's should not be allowed to sell anything but a runflat M/C tire for M/C's!! IMHO!!& many others. SAFETY FIRST!!!
Rapidray likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Hot Patch !!!

Either hot patch it or plug it if it's small enough. I don't think it's a good idea to use a tube with a Radial Tire...

Thanks,
Me !!
Florida Prowler # 08

Living the Good Life... RETIRED !!!

No Where to be and ALL Day to get there....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

On car tires anyway, the tube actually shortened the life of the tire because it would chaff around inside, even when properly installed and inflated. Then go to leaking or blowing out. I agree with those above that the patch kits out now work very well. I find the rope ones to work the best. I had a flat in my garage the morning I was to leave on a 1500 miler. I plugged it and took off, checking it every hundred miles or hour, no-I wasn't going that fast, and never lost a pound. That was the first day. I checked it each morning before flight with the same results.
Then ordered a tire which waited for me when I got home. I put it on about 8000 miles later. And when I removed it. That rope was still holding perfectly. A good friend ran with 2 plugs in his Harley rear tire and never ever worried. But I've heard the horror stories too.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Id just put a worm in it
Easily last the lifetime of the tyre

Well i started out with nothing and I still got a whole lot left
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Member

RideOn tire sealant and balancer
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 AM
Seasoned Member

SLIME IT !

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

I got a nail in my tire within the first 3,000 miles and put a plug in it but it is leaking slowly. Have to add air about every 2 weeks when the light comes on. Not a bad leak but enough to be a pain.

2010 yellow level 4
Michelin Alpine Primacy PA3 ZP 195/55-16
karykyn back rest, hwy pegs
Spoiler
LED fog lights

Previous bikes:
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 (age 16)
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 305 (age 1
1983 Honda Magna V45 750 (age 22)
1990 Gl 1500 (age 27)
2010 GL1800 (age 51)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
SLIME IT !
Slime is an absolute NO-NO. This is the stuff that makes a real mess, almost impossible to clean and will eat alloy rims!
May be good for low speed tires(lawn mowers, etc.)not good for highway speed tires
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

From when I did work with Cooper Tire company - NO, do not put a tube in a tubeless tire (for highway rated tires/speed).

Besides the valve stem not aligning as mentioned above, the flex of the tire will ruin the tube. An internal patch is the preferred method of tire repair. A good plug is second. Don't try to repair a hole in a sidewall - toss the tire. Obviously if stuck in boonie land and you have a sidewall puncture you can try plugging it - however a couple of things to note. One - have your life insurance paid up. Two - run around 10 psi or so higher than normal to limit the sidewall flex. Three - keep your speed way down - both to limit stress on the tire, and the handling issues you're going to experience when the plug gives out.

Also - whether you plug or patch a tire - de-rate the speed rating of the tire one step down.

Ironhorse1800 and Big_Bear like this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page