GL1800Riders Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Change for 2010 Goldwing

33K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Goldwing and am wondering what the best oil and filter to use. Any suggestions:?:

#3 ·
:excited::eek:4:Oh boy, here we go... The can of worms has been opened...:popcorn:

I'll start.. I use Honda synthetic blend 10w40 and Honda filters. Change oil every 5k miles, which is sooner than recommended interval from Mother Honda...

#4 ·
Follow whats recommended in your owners manual. The engineers at Honda are pretty smart. I bet you've never had a problem with the oil you use in your car and you didn't have to ask strangers on the internet for advice.

There is one rule which is stated in your owners manual. Don't use Energy Conserving Oil.

Personally, I use Mobile 1 and a Wal-Mart filter. Change my oil every 10,000 miles and have never had an issue.

Opinions are will vary wildly. Pick a brand, change it regularly and you'll have years of good service.

#7 ·
im sure the next question will be how much. as i have said before gl1000 4 qts gl1100 4 qts gl1200 4 qts gl1500 4 qts gl1800 4 qts. im sensing a pattern. and i bet you could count on one hand the number of oil related failures, other than lack of on all wings. dont sweat it the big girls are fairly easy going on flavors of oil. just keep some in them and they will remain happy for many miles

#9 ·
im sure the next question will be how much. as i have said before gl1000 4 qts gl1100 4 qts gl1200 4 qts gl1500 4 qts gl1800 4 qts. im sensing a pattern. and i bet you could count on one hand the number of oil related failures, other than lack of on all wings. dont sweat it the big girls are fairly easy going on flavors of oil. just keep some in them and they will remain happy for many miles

4 quarts is what I put in.
it gets it to the full mark everytime. Only Honda.

#10 ·
4 quarts is what I put in.
it gets it to the full mark everytime. Only Honda.
Can you run it twice as far between changes? :shrug:

#12 ·
Honda filter any brand of oil will do.:bow:

#16 ·
#17 ·
Shell Rotella 15W-40 and Wal-Mart ST6607 filter! :thumbup:
Did a couple of changes so far with this, after being on sythetic Mobil 1 for 40k...so far, no issues. Agree on the :thumbup: on this combination, simple, cheap and readily available.

Chage at about the 6k to 8k range (so not into being anal retentive on this...) and life is good.

This means, I change oil about 2x year, riding ~12k annually.

#18 ·
OEM Filter
Motorcycle Specific Oil
See manual for velocity
3.9 Qts

:popcorn:

I like my oil about 3000 ft/sec. LMAO, sorry just couldn't resist.

My personal is Rotella. 15W-40 or 5W-40 Synthetic and the Supertech 7317.

Any non energy conserving oil in a 10W-30 or 10W-40 ish weight and a good filter will do. If OEM floats your boat, go for it.

Now, to make it a proper rant, the crush washer must be reused if you don't have a new old one. Oh and don't even think of putting it in up side down. LMAO :nojoke:

#19 ·
Oil is Oil

I don't profess to be a petroleum engineer, but I asked one a number of years ago as to what was the "best" oil. He said, "Oil is oil as long as it's new, it's the additives that make a difference. The better oil has additives to clean and keep the particles in suspension so the filter can take them out." I was also told about a project where they ran an engine at the RPM equivalent of 70MPH for 200K miles, only stopping to change the synthetic oil. After tearing the engine down he said the wear was virtually unmeasurable.

#20 ·
I was also told about a project where they ran an engine at the RPM equivalent of 70MPH for 200K miles, only stopping to change the synthetic oil. After tearing the engine down he said the wear was virtually unmeasurable.
I am curious as to just how often that they changed the oil. If the oil was changed the equivalent of every 5,000 miles then that would not be near as impressive as if they changed it every 50,000 miles.

#21 ·
you will get a diffrent opinion from everone that posts to this thread...

That said, read the owners manual for Honda's recomedations.

I put Shell Rotela T-6 in my bike. four quarts, I just empty the entire jug....

I use a Purolater PureOne filter.

#23 ·
For a motorcycle with a wet clutch USE A MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC OIL.

Personally, I am using AMZOIL Motorcycle FULL SYNTHETIC and changing once a year or every 15000 miles.

Amzoil is NOT MADE/MARKETED BY Amway! to answer the query sort of asked in a previous post!

#24 ·
Amsoil

For a motorcycle with a wet clutch USE A MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC OIL.

Personally, I am using AMZOIL Motorcycle FULL SYNTHETIC and changing once a year or every 15000 miles.

Amzoil is NOT MADE/MARKETED BY Amway! to answer the query sort of asked in a previous post!
Is not spelled with a "Z". You could go 15k on an OCI on this bike with several other quality synthetics as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.