Wear protection provided by various oils - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:32 AM

That was an interesting read. Now, which ones are ok to put in a motorcycle?
The highest psi auto oil is the Mobil 1 0W40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddels View Post
That was an interesting read. Now, which ones are ok to put in a motorcycle?
The highest psi auto oil is the Mobil 1 0W40.
What to use is in your owners manual.

2001 Illusion Red ABS
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

If you go to

www.bobistheoiguy.com

.....and look for used oil analysis for Genuine Honda motorcycle oil - you will discover that the oil is very robust. Consistently turns in good numbers. Yamalube is also a decent oil. Kawasaki and Suzuki oil ? Eh, not so much.
Tour 1 likes this.

No matter where you go, there you are.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy3 View Post
I thought it was very interesting that the 10W40 oil with the best wear protection was a synthetic blend rather than a full synthetic.
I've always been curious if there is a standard for "synthetic blend." I mean, what would be the ratio of synthetic and non? One reads the label that simply states it is a blend of the two and one might assume that it is a 50/50 blend. One could very well be wrong. It might just be 10% synthetic and 90% non and can still be labeled as a blend.

I decided to experiment, just for grins, and am running a 50/50 mix of both Valvoline motorcycle specific synthetic and non-synthetic 10w-40. That's obviously 2 quarts of each. I've only been using it for a little over a thousand miles so far and [insert drum roll] I can't tell any difference with how the engine runs or the transmission shifts. All's good as far as I can tell. No complaints from me or the engine. If anything, I am sleeping a bit better knowing there is at least two quarts of synthetic oil mixed up in the sump...!
Weege likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

I decided to experiment, just for grins, and am running a 50/50 mix of both Valvoline motorcycle specific synthetic and non-synthetic 10w-40.

I have to ask, why?

----------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Audio comfort

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
I have to ask, why?
Why? I guess I just like to experiment, color outside the lines a little. We take our Ford Edge to the Ford dealer for oil changes and they use Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend. I've always been curious about the percentages of the "blend" and if there is any real or only a perceived advantage in using a blend. I'm not noticing anything special by doing so. May or may not custom blend next time. Just sharing as an option for others who like to experiment.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Tan
Seasoned Member

I have always used oil that is says it is motorcycle specific. Except on one Goldwing (I have had 5 Goldwings) I used 5W40 T6 in my 2005 and it was the only one I had problems with at 200200 I had the motor taken out and a new ADG put in. Was it the oil I used keep in mind it was the only one I did not use oil that was specific designed for motorcycle use.? I do not know and am just mentioning it. I do not want to start anything I am just saying.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I just gave a quick read... I'm surprised how the use of ZDDPlus significantly reduces the protection provided by the oil it's added to. I knew a few people here have been touting that additive for our GoldWings. I considered it but never got around to ordering it. Glad for my procrastination now.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

hmmm
Just took a look at the blog. Not impressed at all. It is lots of opinion dressed up to look like facts. The writing is very strange. It is not at all like a scientist would normally write. The author comes across as overly concerned about the reader believing (he?) is an expert. It's also very strange that they refuse to use their actual name. Also, the bio is way to generic.

In short too many red lights for this scientist.

I'd suggest staying with bobistheoilguy as an excellent collection of info about oil.
Jim Stilwell likes this.

2006 GL18HPNA6 Cabaret Red, Prem Audio, Comfort, Navi, ABS, Air Bag, Race Tech full monty, All Balls.
Heated RDL saddle. Firecreek Windbender w/elec adjustment.
IBA #54917
Darkside #873 Pirelli Euforie 195/55 w/dyna beads
2002 ST1100 (Garaged in London) (sold 10-12)
BMW F800GS while in mainland europe (rented)
1998 Honda VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer (sold 1-11)
Bunch of states + England, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

After readin' bunches of threads, links etc etc,, I decided to give the Shell T6 FS a try ,,, WOW, the difference over Honda FS oil is a understatement !! I immediately noticed a smoother shifting tranny, neutral easy to find, no clunking, no sometimes feelin' the gears mesh,,, this 14, 9,000k Wing now shifts like a Jap bike. / only a 100 miles so far and the smooth shifting is not going away. I am a believer !! / also went to PL14612 filter.

Being blacked out, I spend no money on chrome !!

2014 AB Hannigan Gen II Trike, Aux Fuel, Full SoCal LED's, HeliBars, Klock Werks, etc etc.
1981 CB900C Loaded / for sale too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page