Wear protection provided by various oils - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Wear protection provided by various oils

Here is an interesting post on the wear protection provided by various oils. It is long and somewhat detailed, but interesting none the less. By this account, the Rotella T6 I use does not provide very good wear protection. These tests are aimed at high performance engines, but it is still interesting.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Weege likes this.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Mesquite Brown GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Didnt read all but what i did read was good info. My delio diesel oil is good and only $12 a jug also shows zinc additives that some swear by do more harm than good >>

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Oil wear list

I thought it was very interesting that the 10W40 oil with the best wear protection was a synthetic blend rather than a full synthetic.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Mesquite Brown GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

By looks of most results doesnt really matter which one you use as long as you change around 5000 miles. Interesting on viscosity on how thinner oil betyter than thicker also. Most new engines call for thinner oil.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

These type reports are interesting and I appreciate the guys who spend the time to put them together. However, I use Honda oil and filters so I don't have to worry about or read any more oil threads. I figure this marvelous engine/drivetrain will outlast the time I will own it since many have achieved several hundred thousand miles and only bought the cheapest stuff they can find. YMMV.
William Anzik and stillgrumpy like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post
These type reports are interesting and I appreciate the guys who spend the time to put them together. However, I use Honda oil and filters so I don't have to worry about or read any more oil threads. I figure this marvelous engine/drivetrain will outlast the time I will own it since many have achieved several hundred thousand miles and only bought the cheapest stuff they can find. YMMV.
Honda does use the cheapest stuff they can find.They put out a tender and whoever comes in the cheapest supplies them.My nearest dealer didn't even stock Honda oil for a long time because he said it was crap.This guy is a Dealership owner/tech/racer.And for quite a while Fram was supplying Mother Honda with filters and they were crap also.

If Id've known it would've lasted this long Id've taken better care of it(not talkin about the Wing)
Darkside #1602
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwing Chris View Post
Honda does use the cheapest stuff they can find.They put out a tender and whoever comes in the cheapest supplies them.My nearest dealer didn't even stock Honda oil for a long time because he said it was crap.This guy is a Dealership owner/tech/racer.And for quite a while Fram was supplying Mother Honda with filters and they were crap also.
since Honda has to honor the original warranty plus any extended warranty, I strongly doubt they are using the cheapest. What they do is spec the oil(s) and other materials such as filters, then put them out for bid. The key is they HAVE TO MEET HONDA SPECS.

If Honda was using non-compliant oils/filters that damaged their products their warranty costs would be extreme. Owners have reported 200-400 thousand miles buying the cheapest oil on the market. Guess it is all in the perspective.
William Anzik and Crookster like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Wow , somebody is feeding you some serious misinformation . Fram !!
murf, William Anzik and Crookster like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
Wow , somebody is feeding you some serious misinformation . Fram !!
That info about Fram was all over the Wing sites a few years back.
I guess my statement about it being crap was a bit strong but they do buy the cheapest oil and then add their additives.I guess what I should have said is THAT THERE ARE BETTER OILS OUT THERE.

If Id've known it would've lasted this long Id've taken better care of it(not talkin about the Wing)
Darkside #1602
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
That info about Fram was all over the Wing sites a few years back.

I guess my statement about it being crap was a bit strong but they do buy the cheapest oil and then add their additives.I guess what I should have said is THAT THERE ARE BETTER OILS OUT THERE.

You are most certainly correct about there being better oils out there . But the rest you can believe what you want , that's your right . Carry on , I'm out .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page