Need switch parts. - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Need switch parts.

I was taking apart my reverse switch to clean it out and keep it from sticking. During the disassembly one of the small contacts with the spring under sprang out. I cannot find the spring or the contact anywhere. I would like to purchase a new spring and contact, but all I can find online is the entire switch assembly which is upwards of $200.
I am not going to pay $200 for a spring and a contact which probably cost 5 cents. Does anyone know where I can get these parts. If maybe you know of a totaled out unit and could get me the parts. I would be thankful for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Try taking apart a cigarette lighter and using one of the springs there. I did that for my emergency flasher switch that was missing one from a failed attempt by the previous owner to fix it.
It worked great. I just cut the spring to the length I needed and it worked perfectly.
Cheap too!

'05 Goldwing; '03 VTX 1300; '11 Harley Ultra Classic - Sold

John 3:16
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Thanks, I will give that a try. I still need a contact.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Seasoned Member

FYI: Very good tip from many on this board:: When assembling & dis assembly if you use a clear plastic bag, it will save you from losing those small parts. Tip# 2!!! bag is for your hands, not your whole body....Some wingers have to have explicit instructions!! lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Wino51:

Maybe be this 2004 part-out has what you need:
parting out 2004 y181p

Ron
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Try calling Midway Cycle Salvage in Madison, AL at 256-233-3821. They are both a MC dealer and large cycle salvage. They usually are parting out several Goldwings and may have what you need, or know where to find them. They also have an ebay store with over a thousand listings.

"If you don't have the time to do it right, then how are you gonna find the time to do it over? "
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Finished

I finally got this repaired. What I did was, I looked in every old electronic piece that I had thinking that I could find something that I could make a contact out of. I had no luck, so I used a piece of copper wire the right size when smashed flat to make the contact. After smashing and bending the wire I had a contact that looked relatively the same as the other one. I used the spring out of the cigarette lighter (thanks Prockey for the tip) and reassembling it, it worked. I am good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page