• 1 Post By Haste Maker
  • 1 Post By thecruiser
  • 1 Post By DaveK
  • 1 Post By roadrunner1800

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Swivel Hitch

Does anybody have a swivel hitch they won't mind parting with. I have sold my Kompact Kamp cargo trailer and the swivel hitch will be staying on the tongue and going to the new owner who is picking it up tomorrow 4/8. I have looked online and let's say that the price of these new are shocking. Unfortunately my deal to leave the swivel hitch on the Kompact Kamp trailer is done. I would like to get one for the Harbor Freight trailer with cargo box that I am building. I can be reached by PM here on this board. Thank you to Grayelky who PM'd me about about a Bushtek swivel hitch, but I just want one the goes on a standard tongue with the regular type coupler attached to the swivel.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Make your own, all it takes is some parts from Lowes & a welding machine, I have seen them made for less than $20..
thecruiser likes this.

I may not have a "CLUE" about the real world..But I can spot a back stabbing "Lap Top" sissy "Dummy" when I see one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haste Maker View Post
Make your own, all it takes is some parts from Lowes & a welding machine, I have seen them made for less than $20..
I appreciated your idea very much Tommie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3990.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	188473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3989.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	188481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3988.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	188489  
Haste Maker likes this.

DARKSIDER #317
Tennessee Traveler # 15
Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
Tony...........Chicago
2001 Black 1800

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Congrats on selling your trailer!
I bet that you wished that you had it for our "darkside ride" last may...... lol (just busting your nuts)
I'm looking forward to see your newly made Harbor freight trailer.... How much bigger will it be then my trailer??
If you come down to Larry's will you have the trailer with you??
Weathers looking good for a ride this Thursday -Keep me posted!

Ronnie
PS When is your planned date for your trip to Alaska???? God I wish I could go with you!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Why not just use an ATV ball designed for more lean angle?

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Hitch-Un...atv+hitch+ball

They are rated to tow 350KG (771lbs) with 5 times that in jerk or impact rating, but you'll never exceed that with your Wing. I use one and the engine guards touch down before the ball hitch binds on my trailer. Just another option.

Forced air induction, complete custom exhaust, modified FI system, Nitrous Oxide, & Amzoil. All the typical Goldwing stuff!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastwing View Post
Why not just use an ATV ball designed for more lean angle?

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Hitch-Un...atv+hitch+ball

They are rated to tow 350KG (771lbs) with 5 times that in jerk or impact rating, but you'll never exceed that with your Wing. I use one and the engine guards touch down before the ball hitch binds on my trailer. Just another option.

Thanks , but I have just received a swivel hitch from Fun42 on this board. It's in very good condition and I've already taken it apart and greased the working part of the swivel and now is swiveling very smoothly.

All I see when opening that Amazon link is a chrome hitch ball and I don't see that it is any different than the chrome ball I already use on my Bushtec hitch.

Allen

Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Glad you found something.
The difference in this ball, and all ATV / Offroad trailer balls is in the design of the stem. It is smaller in diameter and stays the same size straight down from the ball to the base. This allows a greater lean angle of the coupler in all directions without binding. They are not rated as high as an automotive ball which is not a problem as the trailers they are designed for do not exceed 1000lbs. As I stated before. I can lay my GL1800 on it's side and not unhook the trailer.
Just wanted to point out another way to accomplish the task.

Forced air induction, complete custom exhaust, modified FI system, Nitrous Oxide, & Amzoil. All the typical Goldwing stuff!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
Thanks , but I have just received a swivel hitch from Fun42 on this board. It's in very good condition and I've already taken it apart and greased the working part of the swivel and now is swiveling very smoothly.
Allen
Could you please give instructions on how the take apart & grease a swivel hitch? I have one and would like to re-grease it properly.
Thanks in Advance.
Dave K.
roadrunner1800 likes this.

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.

2002 GL1800 ABS
1992 GL1500 SE
1981 CBX
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Swivel Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Could you please give instructions on how the take apart & grease a swivel hitch? I have one and would like to re-grease it properly.
Thanks in Advance.
Dave K.

Mine had a castle nut with a cotter pin locking the nut in position. Remove both of these and the swivel block should pull off the rod that goes through the whole assembly. Pay attention to the various washers and spacers between the two blocks. Grease the shaft and reassemble. I'd suggest a new cotter pin to lock down the castle nut. I used regular grease, but you could use a dry graphite lube if you wanted. I intend to do mine every spring to keep good clean lube on the rod.

If yours looks different take a good picture(s) of it so we all can see which swivel hitch you have and offer suggestions.

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveK likes this.

Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Last edited by roadrunner1800; Yesterday at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page