Fog light adapter - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Fog light adapter

I have a set of recently purchased high output cowl lights from E/C. They stay on all the time, even when my high beams are on. I would like for them to go off when the highs come on, so I called E/C and they said that Honda has an adapter cable that goes between the switch and the black 4-pin connector that will do what I want. He suggested that someone might have one laying around that they were not using. He also said I could buy one from Honda, but I looked at the parts diagram and did not find the adapter sold separately. Do you have the cable that I could purchase?

I know E/C used to sell a harness that would allow the fog lights to work either way, but they no longer have that available.

BTW: My bike is an airbag model. Thanks.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Titanium GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Only inquiring because of my lack of knowledge. Why would you want the lights to turn off when the brights are turned on? What is the benefit of this? I would think if you are turning on the brights, more light is better...

2010 GL1800 Audio/Comfort (Red)
1981 Yamaha XS1100LH (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS850 (Sold)

Need manuals? Check out my website! Have manuals to share? I can host them! Just PM me!

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Cowl lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatatonicBug View Post
Only inquiring because of my lack of knowledge. Why would you want the lights to turn off when the brights are turned on? What is the benefit of this? I would think if you are turning on the brights, more light is better...
The issue is I am adding some driving lights under the fairing. If the headlights, cowl lights and driving lights are all on, I'll have too many forward facing white lights.

Yes, I want the cowl lights to go off when my high beams come on.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Titanium GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I thought "normal" was that fog lights go off with hi's, and the special cable was an aftermarket thing (not OEM) to keep them on. So what you said sounds backwards to me and might explain why you can't see the Honda "extra" adapter.

I don't know the airbag or the EC lights, but my 2010 level 1 with Honda fogs works like you want.

I could have sworn someone offered the work-around cable (to keep them ON, not to turn them off). I checked the EC site just now but didn't see it as a separate item and didn't dive into their foglight documents. Are you sure this isn't a matter of taking something out of what you've got rather than adding something in? Though that would mean the phone call got cross-threaded.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

Last edited by Big_Bird; 04-19-2017 at 04:13 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Member

When I got my 13 it was wired like that, fog lights on all the time, low beams or high beams, in fact I had no switch I could not turn them off if I wanted to. I did some investigating and found out that as Big Bird said there is an "adapter " that makes them work that way. In the harness down behind the left front panel, pretty much right in front of your knee when riding there is a 4 pin connector where a relay is supposed to plug in, the adapter is simply a jumper wire that bypasses the relay. You take out the relay and install the jumper between the brown and the black wire. So all that to say, if you open up that panel and dig around and find that harness and the relay has been jumpered out, you just need to buy a relay, remove the jumper and plug in the relay.
One of these two links should get you to the replacement relay needed to fix the issue if you have a jumper installed.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.

Last edited by M61A1MECH; 04-19-2017 at 05:08 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Wingstuff still shows the kit. Give them a call and see if it's available.

http://wingstuff.com/products/32594-...?from_search=1

2012 Pearl White GL1800
AMA Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page