Best Headlamp Combination for Maximum Illumination (IMHO) - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmg888 View Post

Also, The specific model HID kit that I used is very well focused in the GL1800 reflector. Others I have tried were really horrible.

Chhers, Fred G
Sorry, Fred, but I had to laugh when I saw the link to the HID low beam kit you installed.
$24 for a complete kit of 2 bulbs, ballasts, and harnesses?
I hope I'm wrong, but from my experience with lighting, especially HID kits, you get what you pay for.
Either you got the deal of a lifetime, or cheap components that won't last.
Please report back after a few months with your results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyce250 View Post
Sorry, Fred, but I had to laugh when I saw the link to the HID low beam kit you installed.
I hope I'm wrong, but from my experience with lighting, especially HID kits, you get what you pay for.
Like I said, I did a lot of research with two other Goldwing owners and this was the solution we found that worked the best. Laugh all you want, I was trying to share this with all on the board.

Time will tell.

Fred G in Lewisville, TX - USAF Veteran
01 GL1800 - Blue (fastest color again)
08 Suzuki Burgman 400 Scooter
Previous Bikes:
97 GL1500SE - Black (new fastest color)
85 GL1200 Interstate - Blue (previous fastest color)
85 Honda Elite 250 Scooter
83 Honda CX650
83 Honda NH80 Scooter (2)
74 Honda CB550
71 Honda CB750K1
69 Hodaka Ace 100B
71 Suzuki T350 Rebel
70 Honda CL175
66 Honda S-90
65 Honda Super Cub 50
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyce250 View Post
And NO, rollsroyce250, I didnt think it was Funny !

Fred G in Lewisville, TX - USAF Veteran
01 GL1800 - Blue (fastest color again)
08 Suzuki Burgman 400 Scooter
Previous Bikes:
97 GL1500SE - Black (new fastest color)
85 GL1200 Interstate - Blue (previous fastest color)
85 Honda Elite 250 Scooter
83 Honda CX650
83 Honda NH80 Scooter (2)
74 Honda CB550
71 Honda CB750K1
69 Hodaka Ace 100B
71 Suzuki T350 Rebel
70 Honda CL175
66 Honda S-90
65 Honda Super Cub 50

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I did a lot of research on this and much trial and Error with LED and HID headlamp conversions. Horrible experience with High Beam Bulb access, too !!! Also learned a lot from 2 of my Riding buddies and their similar experience with headlamps.
After much testing, I found that LED Bulbs absolutely do NOT work well with the High or Low beam GL1800 reflectors. LEDs and HID's also do not work with Headlamp Modulators.

I am thrilled with my final results, which I will share with you all.

Low Beams - H7 HID 35W 4300K conversion Kit $23.99
Bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00
4300K is the Brightest white light. If you go Higher temp (Blue) you get less light and become a magnet for LEO's.

High Beams - Halogen 65W Osram Rallye 64217 (X2) $36.00.
Bought it here: http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Best of Both worlds: Super Bright, well focused HID Low Beams and Halogen Bright High Beams that still work with my Kriss Double Eagle Modulator !!.

Hope this saves y'all the trial and error process that I went through .

Fred G in Lewisville, TX
I have almost exactly your set up except that I've rewired the headlamps with heavy cable to prevent the original wiring voltage drop so I've kept the 55watt main beams. My low beams are nicely focussed too so it seems there are good and bad bulb fitments. Though, for me, the jury is still out after riding for a number of months. Even at 4300k the low beams are quite blueish and I find the mix of very white light (blueish) directly infront of me and the yellower distant light a bit strange. I'd be interested to hear your view on this after you've ridden for a while and got over the initial buzz.

I don't know whether this effects you but the lighting shortcoming which effects me most is the inability of the lights to shine any distance around a corner and driving blind isn't a favourite of mine. I've recently mounted cornering lights and they seem to work ok, I've yet to make the centrifugal switches which will (hopefully) switch them on only while cornering. The other though I have in this regard is to mount lamps on the front fender so the light will at least point where the front wheel points.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I did a lot of research on this and much trial and Error with LED and HID headlamp conversions. Horrible experience with High Beam Bulb access, too !!! Also learned a lot from 2 of my Riding buddies and their similar experience with headlamps.
After much testing, I found that LED Bulbs absolutely do NOT work well with the High or Low beam GL1800 reflectors. LEDs and HID's also do not work with Headlamp Modulators.

I am thrilled with my final results, which I will share with you all.

Low Beams - H7 HID 35W 4300K conversion Kit $23.99
Bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00
4300K is the Brightest white light. If you go Higher temp (Blue) you get less light and become a magnet for LEO's.

High Beams - Halogen 65W Osram Rallye 64217 (X2) $36.00.
Bought it here: http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Best of Both worlds: Super Bright, well focused HID Low Beams and Halogen Bright High Beams that still work with my Kriss Double Eagle Modulator !!.

Hope this saves y'all the trial and error process that I went through .

Fred G in Lewisville, TX
Fred PM Sent
TrikesterKit likes this.

Large 1 (RD)
Boise ID
DS# 1477
2006 (White Buffalo)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 PM

What would you use for "fog" lights to light the edge of the road and bushes (deer?). Are corner light location and size ok? Or is something a little more custom advised -like Pia? Are LEDs up to snuff?
Thanks
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:13 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

I have led lights for the cornering lamps and they are very bright - surprisingly so. They are a spot light without a particularly wide beam though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page