Best Headlamp Combination for Maximum Illumination (IMHO) - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Best Headlamp Combination for Maximum Illumination (IMHO)

I did a lot of research on this and much trial and Error with LED and HID headlamp conversions. Horrible experience with High Beam Bulb access, too !!! Also learned a lot from 2 of my Riding buddies and their similar experience with headlamps.
After much testing, I found that LED Bulbs absolutely do NOT work well with the High or Low beam GL1800 reflectors. LEDs and HID's also do not work with Headlamp Modulators.

I am thrilled with my final results, which I will share with you all.

Low Beams - H7 HID 35W 4300K conversion Kit $23.99
Bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00
4300K is the Brightest white light. If you go Higher temp (Blue) you get less light and become a magnet for LEO's.

High Beams - Halogen 65W Osram Rallye 64217 (X2) $36.00.
Bought it here: http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Best of Both worlds: Super Bright, well focused HID Low Beams and Halogen Bright High Beams that still work with my Kriss Double Eagle Modulator !!.

Hope this saves y'all the trial and error process that I went through .

Fred G in Lewisville, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Did the hid kit come with spacer
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the enlightening post! Good information. You are going to fit in well around here.

Welcome to the board!

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmg888 View Post
I did a lot of research on this and much trial and Error with LED and HID headlamp conversions. Horrible experience with High Beam Bulb access, too !!! Also learned a lot from 2 of my Riding buddies and their similar experience with headlamps.
After much testing, I found that LED Bulbs absolutely do NOT work well with the High or Low beam GL1800 reflectors. LEDs and HID's also do not work with Headlamp Modulators.

I am thrilled with my final results, which I will share with you all.

Low Beams - H7 HID 35W 4300K conversion Kit $23.99
Bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00
4300K is the Brightest white light. If you go Higher temp (Blue) you get less light and become a magnet for LEO's.

High Beams - Halogen 65W Osram Rallye 64217 (X2) $36.00.
Bought it here: http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Best of Both worlds: Super Bright, well focused HID Low Beams and Halogen Bright High Beams that still work with my Kriss Double Eagle Modulator !!.

Hope this saves y'all the trial and error process that I went through .

Fred G in Lewisville, TX
Hope your right on here Just ordered the H7 HID's

Large 1 (RD)
Boise ID
DS# 1477
2006 (White Buffalo)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
Thanks for the enlightening post! Good information. You are going to fit in well around here.

Welcome to the board!

Good post. I run something similar, along with several aux lights. I'll be in Lewisville this Saturday, visiting with my brother then doing the Big as Texas IBA get-together. Hope to see you while I'm there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150526_193536091.jpg (34.0 KB, 271 views)

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
Did the hid kit come with spacer
Yes it came with soft spacers, which I accidentally dropped (one of them) into the back of the reflector tunnel. I had to make another one. I recommend a small drop of superglue when you position the spacer.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
Good post. I run something similar, along with several aux lights. I'll be in Lewisville this Saturday, visiting with my brother then doing the Big as Texas IBA get-together. Hope to see you while I'm there.

Have a safe ride here.... sent you a PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
Hope your right on here Just ordered the H7 HID's
I'm very "picky". You'll like them,,,,, I Did....

Fred G in Lewisville, TX - USAF Veteran
01 GL1800 - Blue (fastest color again)
08 Suzuki Burgman 400 Scooter
Previous Bikes:
97 GL1500SE - Black (new fastest color)
85 GL1200 Interstate - Blue (previous fastest color)
85 Honda Elite 250 Scooter
83 Honda CX650
83 Honda NH80 Scooter (2)
74 Honda CB550
71 Honda CB750K1
69 Hodaka Ace 100B
71 Suzuki T350 Rebel
70 Honda CL175
66 Honda S-90
65 Honda Super Cub 50
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM

My experience will likely rain on this parade.
The 65W Osrams might cause some melting of the bulb housing. Some have reported no issues, others had melting.
I had a brand new set and sold them before installation after reading the feedback.

Regarding HID H7 bulb kits, been there, done that. Even with the 4300k bulbs and your low beams set to the lowest elevation, you WILL get oncoming vehicles flashing you at night. The problem is the beam diffusion.
There is no focusing of the HID beam, and it sprays all over the place.

I have gone back to H7 halogens for all headlamp bulbs, selecting Philips Extreme Vision +130. Shortly I will be adding a set of high intensity LED driving lights mounted under the mirrors.
The lights are 4200 lumens per side, and are controlled by a programmable solid state dimmer module. I can run them at any % from 0%-100% output, with 3 settings stored in memory. They can also be wired for 100% output by tapping into the high beam circuit, or 100% output independent of the high beams.
If anyone wants make and part model numbers, PM me.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyce250 View Post
My experience will likely rain on this parade.
The 65W Osrams might cause some melting of the bulb housing. Some have reported no issues, others had melting.
I had a brand new set and sold them before installation after reading the feedback.

Regarding HID H7 bulb kits, been there, done that. Even with the 4300k bulbs and your low beams set to the lowest elevation, you WILL get oncoming vehicles flashing you at night. The problem is the beam diffusion.
There is no focusing of the HID beam, and it sprays all over the place.

I have gone back to H7 halogens for all headlamp bulbs, selecting Philips Extreme Vision +130. Shortly I will be adding a set of high intensity LED driving lights mounted under the mirrors.
The lights are 4200 lumens per side, and are controlled by a programmable solid state dimmer module. I can run them at any % from 0%-100% output, with 3 settings stored in memory. They can also be wired for 100% output by tapping into the high beam circuit, or 100% output independent of the high beams.
If anyone wants make and part model numbers, PM me.
Thank You for your added information. Respectfully, I don't think the 65W Osrams will cause a problem, as High Beams are only used a fraction of the time. Even so, i feel the melted sockets and other problems occur on the extreme high wattage bulbs (90/100 watts etc.) I would not put the 65W Bulbs in the low beams, which get full time use.

Also, The specific model HID kit that I used is very well focused in the GL1800 reflector. Others I have tried were really horrible.

Cheers, Fred G

Fred G in Lewisville, TX - USAF Veteran
01 GL1800 - Blue (fastest color again)
08 Suzuki Burgman 400 Scooter
Previous Bikes:
97 GL1500SE - Black (new fastest color)
85 GL1200 Interstate - Blue (previous fastest color)
85 Honda Elite 250 Scooter
83 Honda CX650
83 Honda NH80 Scooter (2)
74 Honda CB550
71 Honda CB750K1
69 Hodaka Ace 100B
71 Suzuki T350 Rebel
70 Honda CL175
66 Honda S-90
65 Honda Super Cub 50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page