Helmet Speaker Idea to consider - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Helmet Speaker Idea to consider

Some of you know that getting your helmet speakers to sound good can be tricky. In general, the closer the helmet speaker is to your ear the better the sound and fidelity becomes. I have tried several combinations inside a helmet with varying success. Mine sound pretty good, but I have an idea. I don't seem to be able to quite find what I am looking for already existing to buy. I tried one of the headbands that people wear when exercising. The sound is good, but getting the helmet over it all the time is not very convenient.

My idea comes from remembering the snoopy hat speakers that astronauts wore on the apollo missions. My version would be something mesh you could wear in the summer.

1. What about if you had a lightweight mesh skull cap with speakers mounted in the sides. The mesh is cool enough to wear beneath your helmet in the summer and allows air to flow around etc. The mesh skull cap would already have the speakers sewn inside and would hold them close to your ears and in the exact right place every time you put it on. It could have an elastic band around the edges to hold it on your head easily. The whole thing would not interfere with putting on your helmet of any kind.

Anyone had something like this?

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Think Velcro to build the speaker out and small pieces of Velcro to angle the speaker to the ear.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Snowboarders have something similar... in essence a wide head-band that has speakers in it. Generally speaking, they don't tend to try to put a helmet over this... but perhaps they do... I'm not a snowboarder. Most are Bluetooth now.

You'll see many if you do a quick search on Amazon.

2013 Honda F6B
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
Some of you know that getting your helmet speakers to sound good can be tricky. In general, the closer the helmet speaker is to your ear the better the sound and fidelity becomes. I have tried several combinations inside a helmet with varying success. Mine sound pretty good, but I have an idea. I don't seem to be able to quite find what I am looking for already existing to buy. I tried one of the headbands that people wear when exercising. The sound is good, but getting the helmet over it all the time is not very convenient.

My idea comes from remembering the snoopy hat speakers that astronauts wore on the apollo missions. My version would be something mesh you could wear in the summer.

1. What about if you had a lightweight mesh skull cap with speakers mounted in the sides. The mesh is cool enough to wear beneath your helmet in the summer and allows air to flow around etc. The mesh skull cap would already have the speakers sewn inside and would hold them close to your ears and in the exact right place every time you put it on. It could have an elastic band around the edges to hold it on your head easily. The whole thing would not interfere with putting on your helmet of any kind.

Anyone had something like this?
I agree there has to be a better way and I would like to see something like you are suggesting. What is even worse for me is I've lost most of the hearing in my right ear due to labyrinthitis. I have headphones which direct both stereo channels to my left ear. It would be nice to find something similar for a mc helmet.

Jack
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm excellent idea!
I love music when riding!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

MAKE DIFFERENT THICKNESS OF VELCRO TO BRING OUT EVEN WITH HELMET. HELMET MANUFACTURER HAS LOT TO DO WITH IT HAD HJC AND BOUGHT A SHOEI . TRANSFERRED THE SENA FROM HJC. LIKE I GOT NEW STEREO !!! LOL. GOOD LUCK. THINK TRYING TO "OVER THINK " IT

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Found this...

https://www.amazon.com/PARLT-Sleepin...f_rd_i=desktop

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Give up and use earplug speakers... kill wind noise, road noise, the small amount of Goldwing noise, and gain bass response like a big family room speaker...

Also known as ear canal speakers...

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Rese...words=etymotic

or

https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most...22-3.5-4.5.htm

You will need an adapter like:
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ductID=HC-ZB-S
or more simply
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/elect...cWkaAqG-8P8HAQ

David
Crookster likes this.

2008 Premium Audio Dark Red Metallic
DarkSider #719 - Yokohama Avid Envigor Run Flat 195/55/R16 @28 PSI (my 4th CT)

Previous Bikes
2000 BMW K1200LT (RIP)
1980 Suzuki GS1000GT
1975 BMW R90/6
1972 Honda CB500
1971 Honda CB350 - $999+tax
1964 Honda 90 - 6 1/2 horsepower, swings you along at 55 mph, and acheives 65 miles to the gallon. Priced at only $350.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Actually been looking at over the ear buds. Will stay on easier when I put on my helmet. Less volume than my helmet speakers and better fidelity for sure.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Seasoned Member

S-Plugs seem to work the best because they don't stick out of the ear and so there is no pressure from the helmet. They are somewhat tiring if you do a lot of altitude change in a day like we have here in Colorado because the air pressure changes like in a poorly modulated pressurized airplane.

David

2008 Premium Audio Dark Red Metallic
DarkSider #719 - Yokohama Avid Envigor Run Flat 195/55/R16 @28 PSI (my 4th CT)

Previous Bikes
2000 BMW K1200LT (RIP)
1980 Suzuki GS1000GT
1975 BMW R90/6
1972 Honda CB500
1971 Honda CB350 - $999+tax
1964 Honda 90 - 6 1/2 horsepower, swings you along at 55 mph, and acheives 65 miles to the gallon. Priced at only $350.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page