GL1800Riders Forums banner

ATGATT really?

24K views 75 replies 65 participants last post by  Dn 
#1 ·
If anyone would like to help me out I'd appreciate it, that being said I would never have guessed that wearing protective gear would've been so hotly debated on this forum. Crush washers, car tires, maybe oil type but ATGATT, I don't get it. Anyway I'd like to get a new riding jacket for the cooler weather that is coming up and was thinking I really need a motorcycle specific type jacket, maybe with some armor pads installed in it. Riding pants maybe some time later. Never really looked for a bike jacket, seen some at different dealers but don't think that is where I want to buy one tho. What kinds are out there, who carries them, are the sizes correct or do they vary alot? Is a bike dealer the only place you would find one? Good ones, bad ones, any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
I'd just google motorcycle jacket. You can spend hours perusing thru the myriad of choices.

#5 ·
If anyone would like to help me out I'd appreciate it, that being said I would never have guessed that wareing protective gear would've been so hotly debated on this forum. Crush washers, car tires, maybe oil type but ATGATT, I don't get it. Anyway I'd like to get a new riding jacket for the cooler weather that is coming up and was thinking I really need a motorcycle specific type jacket, maybe with some armor pads installed in it. Riding pants maybe some time later. Never really looked for a bike jacket, seen some at different dealers but don't think that is where I want to buy one tho. What kinds are out there, who carries them, are the sizes correct or do they vary alot? Is a bike dealer the only place you would find one? Good ones, bad ones, any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks
Motoport is top of the line gear & the kevlar mesh or stretch kevlar would provide excellent protection in the event of a get off. I upgraded mine to Quad armor which is supposed to be half again as good as the regular armor. With the waterproof liner & a gerbings jacket liner I can wear mine year round unless there is snow on the road. They have you take a number of measurments & the suit is made to fit you, I was a bit hesitant doing this as I live in Michigan & they are in California but it fit great when I got it. Go to their website & read the testimonials as well as the ones on the ADV forum. Many stories of people crashing at 70+ & walking away with no road rash or broken bones. Learned a long time ago you pretty much get what you pay for in most things & Motoport isn't cheap but compared to medical bills after a long slide on asphalt will be a real bargain.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=category&layout=detail&cid=27&Itemid=15

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=category&layout=detail&cid=28&Itemid=15

#7 ·
I'll second the Olympia motosports apparel, I also have Firstgear and Scorpion. You can purchase leather, textile and mesh to match your riding and seasons. Lots of choices. As far as sizing goes, try some on at one the stealerships or a friends. Ask lots of questions.

#8 ·
I have a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket and am very happy with it. It has a zip out liner and keeps me comfortable in temps ranging from 30s to 80 degrees. I think that they have replaced this model with the Transition 3 now, but it's essentially the same jacket. On-line prices tend to be better, but some good deals can be had at the MC dealers too, especially at the end of the season. When I was looking to buy mine, I went to a dealer and tried some on to make sure what the right size was for me. If you decide on what you want and find a decent price on-line, I would still give your local dealer the opportunity to match that price. The dealer I frequent most often is usually more than happy to price match, and even in doing so they still make some money while moving product out the door and keeping a customer.

#10 ·
I had a previous incarnation of http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...cket/atomic_40_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html and wore it for every ride I took for about 5 years. A zipper finally failed this summer and I took the opportunity to upgrade to a full set of sport leathers (which isn't for everyone) .

This certainly isn't the best jacket you can buy, but the value was good for me. It is more of a "sport" styled jacket than some would wear.

#12 ·
If anyone would like to help me out I'd appreciate it, that being said I would never have guessed that wareing protective gear would've been so hotly debated on this forum. Crush washers, car tires, maybe oil type but ATGATT, I don't get it. Anyway I'd like to get a new riding jacket for the cooler weather that is coming up and was thinking I really need a motorcycle specific type jacket, maybe with some armor pads installed in it. Riding pants maybe some time later. Never really looked for a bike jacket, seen some at different dealers but don't think that is where I want to buy one tho. What kinds are out there, who carries them, are the sizes correct or do they vary alot? Is a bike dealer the only place you would find one? Good ones, bad ones, any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks
Gerbings Heated Riding suit (with) pads or with heated liners http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store with pads. or FXRG (HARLEY) Full Leather Jacket & leather pants with Heated liners.

All are very costly but a lot cheaper and less painful then skin grafts or amputation.

#15 ·
Motoport is top of the line gear & the kevlar mesh or stretch kevlar would provide excellent protection in the event of a get off. I upgraded mine to Quad armor which is supposed to be half again as good as the regular armor. With the waterproof liner & a gerbings jacket liner I can wear mine year round unless there is snow on the road. They have you take a number of measurments & the suit is made to fit you, I was a bit hesitant doing this as I live in Michigan & they are in California but it fit great when I got it. Go to their website & read the testimonials as well as the ones on the ADV forum. Many stories of people crashing at 70+ & walking away with no road rash or broken bones. Learned a long time ago you pretty much get what you pay for in most things & Motoport isn't cheap but compared to medical bills after a long slide on asphalt will be a real bargain.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?o...w=category&layout=detail&cid=2easy7&Itemid=15

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=category&layout=detail&cid=28&Itemid=15
i
+1 on Motoport. Take time to get the measurements right. Fit was great. All done over the phone and they worked with me to meet a schedule deadline I had. Shipped to the rental place I was using and the first time I saw it was before riding off for a week. No alterations needed.
I tried several times to find a Roadcrafters to fit me but never could; YMMV

#16 ·
I have the Motoport two piece suit. I crashed twice at 70+mph twice, in the same suit, on the same race track, turn two and nine at Mosport, three years apart.

The suit held up great, no abrasion on me, but there was a part that was nearly worn through after the second crash. The suit did it's job and I replaced it with another.

#21 ·
If you want to compare a lot of different brands check out www.webBikeWorld.com or you can see a lot of really good videos at www.revzilla.com. They do a great job of detailing a lot of different gear.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#23 ·
SO and I both have Olympia AST jackets and Olympia pants, ride in all kinds of weather form units up to 115+ with no problems, jacket is water resistant :thumbup:

#24 ·
I like my Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece suit year around. In the winter either wear a fleece jacket under, or Gerbing electrics. Works fine. I had about a 30mph spill on one of my old Kawasakis a couple years ago and was more upset about ruining my suit than a motorcycle I've owned for 33 yrs, but the suit came out without a noticable blemish and I was able to fix up the old bike too and put it away where it belongs and haven't looked at it since.

#25 ·
I have a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket and am very happy with it. It has a zip out liner and keeps me comfortable in temps ranging from 30s to 80 degrees. I think that they have replaced this model with the Transition 3 now, but it's essentially the same jacket. On-line prices tend to be better, but some good deals can be had at the MC dealers too, especially at the end of the season. When I was looking to buy mine, I went to a dealer and tried some on to make sure what the right size was for me. If you decide on what you want and find a decent price on-line, I would still give your local dealer the opportunity to match that price. The dealer I frequent most often is usually more than happy to price match, and even in doing so they still make some money while moving product out the door and keeping a customer.
:agree: bought mine on eBay for a great discount. After a year I would buy it all over again. (thought I do wear a mesh in the summer)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.