ATGATT really? - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

ATGATT really?

If anyone would like to help me out I'd appreciate it, that being said I would never have guessed that wearing protective gear would've been so hotly debated on this forum. Crush washers, car tires, maybe oil type but ATGATT, I don't get it. Anyway I'd like to get a new riding jacket for the cooler weather that is coming up and was thinking I really need a motorcycle specific type jacket, maybe with some armor pads installed in it. Riding pants maybe some time later. Never really looked for a bike jacket, seen some at different dealers but don't think that is where I want to buy one tho. What kinds are out there, who carries them, are the sizes correct or do they vary alot? Is a bike dealer the only place you would find one? Good ones, bad ones, any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks

1970 go-cart
1972 Honda 100
1975 Yamaha 250
1982 Harley Sportster
25 years of Raising kids
2005 yellow 1800
DS #1532
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

I'd just google motorcycle jacket. You can spend hours perusing thru the myriad of choices.

"Real" Big Dogs don't need to bark!

It's only an "Old Man's Bike" if you ride it like one.

IBA # 25105
1000 in 24 (Certified
1500 in 36 (Certified)
1500 in 24 (Certified)

Darksider # 37
Double Darkside (on the slab)
Bridgestone Bias-ply G701
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

This is a great store for motorcycle gear. They have a big showroom in Columbus Ohio, it might be close enough for you to check it out.

http://www.ironpony.com/

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsman View Post
I'd just google motorcycle jacket. You can spend hours perusing thru the myriad of choices.
Glad to see the Tomato back on the road. Back to regular programming

2007 SILVER ABS
Darksider#453
Prowler#50
Kumho 195/55/16 RF
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitter Guy View Post
If anyone would like to help me out I'd appreciate it, that being said I would never have guessed that wareing protective gear would've been so hotly debated on this forum. Crush washers, car tires, maybe oil type but ATGATT, I don't get it. Anyway I'd like to get a new riding jacket for the cooler weather that is coming up and was thinking I really need a motorcycle specific type jacket, maybe with some armor pads installed in it. Riding pants maybe some time later. Never really looked for a bike jacket, seen some at different dealers but don't think that is where I want to buy one tho. What kinds are out there, who carries them, are the sizes correct or do they vary alot? Is a bike dealer the only place you would find one? Good ones, bad ones, any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks
Motoport is top of the line gear & the kevlar mesh or stretch kevlar would provide excellent protection in the event of a get off. I upgraded mine to Quad armor which is supposed to be half again as good as the regular armor. With the waterproof liner & a gerbings jacket liner I can wear mine year round unless there is snow on the road. They have you take a number of measurments & the suit is made to fit you, I was a bit hesitant doing this as I live in Michigan & they are in California but it fit great when I got it. Go to their website & read the testimonials as well as the ones on the ADV forum. Many stories of people crashing at 70+ & walking away with no road rash or broken bones. Learned a long time ago you pretty much get what you pay for in most things & Motoport isn't cheap but compared to medical bills after a long slide on asphalt will be a real bargain.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=27&Itemid=15

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=28&Itemid=15

Darkside #750

Bridgestone DriveGuard ROF @30 PSI
Bridgestone 709 Front @ 36 psi
Centramatics
F4+4 with vent
Baker Wings full monte
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Not breaking the bank I've been very happy with Olympia. Tourmaster was way to heavy for my tastes.

Ray aka "FUSE"

A lil ol' video I made in 05'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll second the Olympia motosports apparel, I also have Firstgear and Scorpion. You can purchase leather, textile and mesh to match your riding and seasons. Lots of choices. As far as sizing goes, try some on at one the stealerships or a friends. Ask lots of questions.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket and am very happy with it. It has a zip out liner and keeps me comfortable in temps ranging from 30s to 80 degrees. I think that they have replaced this model with the Transition 3 now, but it's essentially the same jacket. On-line prices tend to be better, but some good deals can be had at the MC dealers too, especially at the end of the season. When I was looking to buy mine, I went to a dealer and tried some on to make sure what the right size was for me. If you decide on what you want and find a decent price on-line, I would still give your local dealer the opportunity to match that price. The dealer I frequent most often is usually more than happy to price match, and even in doing so they still make some money while moving product out the door and keeping a customer.

Ron
2002 GL1800A - Darksider #1312

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first,
and the lesson afterward" ~ Vernon Sanders Law
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSE View Post
Not breaking the bank I've been very happy with Olympia. Tourmaster was way to heavy for my tastes.
+1

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

I had a previous incarnation of http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html and wore it for every ride I took for about 5 years. A zipper finally failed this summer and I took the opportunity to upgrade to a full set of sport leathers (which isn't for everyone) .

This certainly isn't the best jacket you can buy, but the value was good for me. It is more of a "sport" styled jacket than some would wear.

jason
08 Black Lvl1
99 CBRF4
LRRS #405

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page