Kevlar Riding Jeans or Protective Over Pants? - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Kevlar Riding Jeans or Protective Over Pants?

My wife and I want to purchase some leg protection and are undecided as to whether we want to go with armoured Kevlar jeans or pull on over pants. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member
I have several pair of Cortech jeans and a pair of FirstGrear over pants. I wear the jeans most often but carry the OPs for colder/wetter weather. In other words, your riding environment is going to dictate your need. The jeans alone may be OK if you pack rain gear. The jeans, for me, are hotter than **** in the seat/crotch regions even in the mid-70s. And lastly, I am glad I got them for 1/2 price when a local shop closed its doors - shop around for the best deal.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Member
Send a message via Yahoo to fredfirefighter
Just bought a pair of Defender riding jeans from Diamond Gusset and love them. Kevlar in the seat and knees. Very comfortable. I'll stick with the jeans.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I've been riding with Duluth Firehose jeans for years. They too have the gusset. It's hard to wear them out....Mike
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member
If you do have an unplanned accident, any impact protection you can get helps.

Riding pants have impact protection, jeans do not. Also with jeans as thin as they are you can rip off skin even under them. The riding pants generally protect you much better.

As for heat in the summer, yep, hot, but some do have vents or vented panels if that even helps on the Wing, I suppose it does a little bit, but sitting behind that fairing venting is relative to imagination.

My gear is fine as long as I am moving, slow traffic.....yep it can get hot.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member
I normally ride in jeans. I have a set of First Gear overpants for cool/cold weather and since they are waterproof for the rain in cool weather. they are more than 10 years old and work great.

Two years ago I bought a pair of First Gear Mesh riding pants for the summer and wear them over shorts. No question they provide more protection in the knees and hips in the event of a crash than jeans. But somehow I cannot get into wearing them on trips. I have tried. Mostly I wear them around home. They have new ones that feature some water resistant liners for riding in the rain.

Since most good riding is in mountainous areas the overpants seem better when it rains as they offer more protection and it is usually a lot cooler in the rain.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member
There are at least two brands of Kevlar lined riding jeans that include removable knee/hip armor. How well the provided armor stays in place and protects is anyone's guess. Armored/Kevlar jeans are not cheap.

Diamond Gusset does not include armor. Very comfortable, but mine bleached out in the Florida sun rather quickly.

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a pair of AD1's and like them, they made overseas for aerostich and provide decent protection in hips/knees/bum. I wear them with a jacket. If your looking for maz protection go with a suit like their roadcrafter, thats what I wear most of the time now that I have one. The have regular sales of gear that was used in photo shoots, returned by customers etc. so if you loiter long enough you will find one 20-30% off. Here is a link:

Next option and a good one is to search revzilla, they cover almost everything with recent videos so you can get a decent idea of what your buying ahead of time.

Kit was right, protection means you may be warmer than with jeans or thinner clothing but if you have ever seen a rider go down and the effects on the body from just the slide never bothers you to wear the thicker gear again.

Happy shopping!
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Member
I wear riding pants (Aerostich Darien) with padded knee and hip protection which may or may not provide better protection, depending on the nature of the "get off." But that's not why I wear them. They're waterproof so I don't have to stop to change into a rain suit.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member
I wear Olympia Motosports mesh armored pants and they literally saved my ass when I crashed last year, along with my Cortech mesh armored jacket.

The only problem with this setup is that it's not waterproof so I have to carry rain gear (Tourmaster) which has not proven to be 100% waterproof, either.

I just did a bunch of research and ordered Klim Traverse pants, which can accommodate armor plus is 100% waterproof as well. These pants are also double-vented, and should be even better in the hot summer than my mesh pants.

Yes, they are expensive, around $350 with armor, but when you figure they will last for many years, it's easier to justify the cost. Available at and others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page