One of best accessories I have added to date:-) - GL1800Riders
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GatorWing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up One of best accessories I have added to date:-)

Go here to look at it :

https://www.amazon.com/NuVision-Touc...s+10%2C+Silver

What it is :

A
2017 NuVision 8-inch Full HD (1920 x 1200) IPS Touchscreen Tablet PC.
Advertised Dimensions are: 8.80 x 4.90 x 0.40 inches .
The screen flips automatically as it is rotated .

As you can see it has the Windows 10 operating system and is a tiny unit.
The programs I have installed and work great are:
1) MapSourse
2) BaseCamp
3) My Radar (Animated Real Time Weather)
4) Of course "Maps" that comes with the unit.
5) Google Maps
6) YouTube
7) "Google Earth" that works great "Helicopter Flying" any "Custom Route" that was created in either "MapSource" or "BaseCamp".

The method is explained in the following link: (Have patience as it takes a few seconds for the link to display the correct post).

One of best accessories I have added to date:-)

Notes:
1) All Garmin maps I installed are North America version 2018.1
2) I can install any Windows 10 compatible programs and will be installing more however I have only had the unit for 24 Hours and am still playing.
3) The unit will be in my bikes trunk and charges with any 2 amp usb fed either from house current or the bikes 12V system.
4) I use "Google Maps" function "Whats here" to get coordinates of anything that interests me then I can paste it into Garmin mapping products using the "Go to position" function and convert to a Waypoint".
5)No additional keyboard is needed since a drop-down touch screen works great.
6) Since there is only one USB port for charging, I am using a Bluetooth mouse that does not require a USB so it can always get external power when using if necessary.
Still experimenting.
Will post a link how to get MapSource on the machine when I get time as it takes certain steps.
Later
Gator
Whisper Jet and jlbc212 like this.

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 73K trouble free miles
2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

Last edited by GatorWing; 03-17-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Can you do music thru it.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
Can you do music thru it.
Absolutly yes. The company recommends 64 GB but others claim to have used 128 GB micro SD cards to store music, photos etc.
You could store a few thousand songs on there. Load your favorite player and use the computers audio out jack connected to your bikes audio input or any audio amp and you could ride off into the sunset listening to music.
Gator

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Cool Loading Google Earth & Flying a custom Route

1) Go to the page in the following link to download "Google Earth Pro":

2) https://support.google.com/earth/ans...-1489518017179

3) I downloaded and installed “Google Earth PRO version 7.8.1”, it is free and that is good.
4) Make sure there are no previous versions of Google Earth on the computer before installing the above.
5) I am going to assume you have either MapSource or BaseCamp or both loaded on the computer I referenced in my first post.
6) Open Google Earth and minimize it using the minus sign at the upper right after it fully loads.
7) Here is an example of what happens if you desire to view a Custom Route you created in the Garmin programs.
You highlight a Custom Route and click on “View in Google Earth” (It is an automatic TOUR but I call it HELICOPTER FLYING A ROUTE).
9) I do this to check the route for unpaved roads etc. as Google Earth is a Satellite Map type view and it has editing mistakes.
10) After you clickety-click in the view command you get a message “Google Earth Must Be Installed” even though Google Earth is installed.
11) We must find a work-around.
12) The problem is we must create a new path so the Garmin Mapping program can find “Google Earth”.
13) Enter DOS and Run the Command Prompt as ADMINISTRATOR.

13A) How to get to DOS in "Windows 10": click on the 4 square Windows symbol located at the lower left of the screen. Scroll down to "Windows System". Open it and highlight "Command Prompt" with Mouse. Right click and a menu will appear. Do not click here but Slide the mouse cursor over "MORE" and click on "Run as Administrator" from the menu that pops up. Carry on .

14) Make sure when you are in DOS that you are in the C:\ (ROOT directory). If not type cd\
15) Type the following exactly including any spaces at the C:\ prompt:

16) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

16A) In case you have a tough time reading the text on 16) click on the following link:

http://rwc10.tripod.com/GARMIN_TO_GO...H_PRO_PATH.jpg

17) Hit the [ENTER] key and the path should be fixed permanently. You should be returned to the C:\ prompt without any ERROR messages.
1Type EXIT then the [ENTER] key and you will be returned to the normal desktop.
19) Go back do step 6 again, then do the “View in Google Earth” again. You should not get any error messages.
20) Highlight the Route you want to appear in “Google Earth” and use the “View in Google Earth” function to accomplish it.
21) Minimize your Garmin Product using the minus sign at upper right.
22) On the computers lower toolbar you will see the Google Earth Symbol. Click it to revert back to full screen.
23) Look Google Earth’s left toolbar and you should see either “MapSource” or “BaseCamp” whichever was used.
24) Click the > symbol at the left of the Garmin product. Either one in step 23.
25) Waypoints & Routes should drop down in that sidebar menu.
26) Click the > symbol to the left of Routes and the Via Points and Paths should also drop down.
27) Click the > symbol in front of Paths and the name of the “Custom Route” you created should appear.
28 Click on that route NAME and it will highlight in blue with a 3 dot magenta symbol in front of it.
29) Notice below in a toolbar for reference only that there are 2 arrows with one pointed UP and the other pointing Down.
30) You will see a 3 dot blue symbol to the right of the arrows mentioned in step 29.
31) Click that symbol and the flight of your Custom Route will begin AUTOMATICALLY .
32) If you move the cursor around the left lower area of the flight window a flight control panel will appear .
33) Use the control panel to set flight speed, stop and forward as well as backward flight of your route.
34) If you stop the flight there are zoom sliders and an orange man you may move to blue lines along your route for ground views.
35) Playing around with the controls is the only way to learn and hurts nothing. When I am done with a flight I close the program and “Discard the tour” to save computer memory .
36) I will post some other tips for eliminating route clutter on MapSource routes When I have time.
37) PS: This little machine keeps up with all the streaming data from Google Servers with no stutter.
The above is only for the 8" NuVision referenced in my first post!

(You will need internet access for Google Earth to stream its satellite view data).
I use a wired connection at home and WiFi wireless when on the road.

Later GATOR

Last edited by GatorWing; 03-18-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: 8's and 0' followed by ) should not become smileys :-(
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
You might try going to the "Advanced" editor and un-selecting the following:

It seems to be interpreting your "8 and )'s" as a emoticon.

Jim

[Nevermind... didn't work for me either... see ""
Attached Images
File Type: png Smilies.png (9.6 KB, 4 views)

2013 Honda F6B
2003 Honda ST1100P
2008 Honda Nighthawk 250 (Teaching my daughter to ride).
www.RydePyrat.com

Last edited by JMartin; 03-14-2017 at 11:00 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Looks cool. I'm curious how you'll be mounting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
You might try going to the "Advanced" editor and un-selecting the following:

It seems to be interpreting your "8 and )'s" as a emoticon.

Jim

[Nevermind... didn't work for me either... see ""
I had already tried that also and was the result.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgross05 View Post
Looks cool. I'm curious how you'll be mounting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No mounting. Just a tool to keep in my trunk. I can use my Note phone to get my coordinates wherever I am and enter them in either MapSource or BaseCamp using the "Go to position feature".
Since I have over 200 routes on MapSource I can right click on any nearby magenta route line and choose what route to import into my bike GPS as it handles custom routes.
I used to uncheck auto naming routes in MapSource properties and name routes so I could understand them.
Now with this tiny computer I can see them and not rely on a written title.
I have a Surface 3 but I like this better since it is tiny and does the same work without a bulky keyboard.
This little machine also has a TV HDMI output.
Lots of options there when near hotel or restaurant hot spots .

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Seasoned Member

You could WiFi tether it to your phone and mount it with a RAM mount and have a visible scale weather RADAR, lightning monitor and map system that you don't need to use a magnifying glass to see. I use my 7" Samsung on the road when I have concerns about the weather and how to avoid it, phone display is too small for some apps to be useful at a glance. I have NAV on my Garmin, Doppler RADAR on the phone and a lightning monitor on the tablet, all feeding audio alerts to my headset so a quick glance lets me know if its time to turn off, park or run! In fair weather my GoPro feeds display and allows one touch record functions. Too bad most of these things do not like rain, but the point is to know where it is and if I need to avoid it.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 110k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastoT View Post
You could WiFi tether it to your phone and mount it with a RAM mount and have a visible scale weather RADAR, lightning monitor and map system that you don't need to use a magnifying glass to see. I use my 7" Samsung on the road when I have concerns about the weather and how to avoid it, phone display is too small for some apps to be useful at a glance. I have NAV on my Garmin, Doppler RADAR on the phone and a lightning monitor on the tablet, all feeding audio alerts to my headset so a quick glance lets me know if its time to turn off, park or run! In fair weather my GoPro feeds display and allows one touch record functions. Too bad most of these things do not like rain, but the point is to know where it is and if I need to avoid it.
Got all that on the album linked below.Weather is real time MyRadar + Weather Bug. As far as lightning detectors most manufactures admit they are useless in most of Florida in summer months. A storm with lightning can start up in under 10 minutes. That is why my riding season is in the fall & winter months. If I see a storm on the bikes sirus I switch to my Note 3 and usually I can see an escape route between storms shown the animated weather. The down side is most animated weather programs are 10 minutes behind real time.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/membe...olt-meter.html

Also look on my first album for GoPro mount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page