FYI - How to update your NAVI to the latest everything - Page 163 - GL1800Riders
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1621 of 1625 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I have a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps. I just ran the Garmin Express software to install the new maps to my device and my computer. However, I can't find the gmapprom.img or the Junction View (.jcv) files on my computer or on the Garmin Nuvi.

I remember someone saying there's software you can use to create these files from the "installed maps" on the computer, but I can't find that. I've been all though BaseCamp, but don't see any options to generate the .img and .jcv files from within there.

I just want to get the .img and .jcv files for my installed maps. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1625 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
Mark, ran into the same problem when I did mine and I even made a post about it without many responses. I did have a fellow member send me this but I won't reveal his name, only my appreciation for sharing it with me..

I feel your pain! They have modified the current version of garmin express to not have the gmapprom.img file on the computer it seems.

On my zumo 390 I had to do the following (YMMV)

1. Plug in the zumo to my computer and ensure that under control panel/folder options/view/Hide protected operating system files is UNCHECKED. You may need to reboot your system after doing this

2. Look on your gps for the folder Garmin and copy the folder to your computer

3. inside of the Garmin folder should be GarminDevice.xml

4. Copy the Garmin folder to a blank 8gb or better USB key

5. Ensure you Garmin device is unplugged from the computer

6. Run Garmin Express.... It thinks that the USB key with the Garmin folder is actually your GPS. reinstall the map

7. After Garmin Express has reinstalled the map (to the USB key) you will see a new folder called .system

8. This is where the gmapprom.img file is located as well as the JCV folder where the poi stuff is.

Just unlocking it and will install it on my 2015 and see if it works.

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)
post #1623 of 1625 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Thanks Murgie! That worked. I've tested it in my bike and all is well.

I've updated my instructions for doing this for 2012+ bikes. If anyone wants these instructions, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Thanks again.
SoulWinger likes this.

2015 GL1800/A Audio Comfort, Navi/XM, ABS - Black/Red

post #1624 of 1625 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I've updated my instructions for doing this for 2012+ bikes. If anyone wants these instructions, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.
PM sent.

~ Ron
2016 Metallic Gray/Black ABS (level 3)
post #1625 of 1625 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
...I've updated my instructions for doing this for 2012+ bikes. If anyone wants these instructions, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you....
Thank you very much for your instructions...without them I would have been truly lost.
MarkEHansen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page