FYI - How to update your NAVI to the latest everything - GL1800Riders
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via MSN to GA_Rainman
FYI - How to update your NAVI to the latest everything

Since I had quite a bit of difficulty in actually finding the info I was looking for until I posed the question and asked some who were more knowledgeable than I, I think I'll go ahead and share this info for the next guy doing google searches trying to figure this one out. This is really more of a compilation of data I've gathered from other folks so I won't take credit for figuring it out...only compiling it and posting it. I also will mention that I will accept no liability for this. This is only what worked for me so I'm sharing it with you. If computers just don't like you - maybe you ought to sit this one out.

How to update your NAVI GPS.

First - there are two different things that need updating. One is referred to as the FIRMWARE which is really just the GPS unit itself. It has internal computer code which contains instructions for the GPS itself.

As of July 8, 2015, the latest firmware version is 4.80

Download the 4.80 Firmware here: http://tinyurl.com/q5pg2rs
If the link above stops working - please don't contact me for it. Someone usually will post a new link somewhere on here. There's another thread on the board now that has a different link to the same thing.

***NOTE*** This new 4.80 Firmware allows the 1st Gen GL Navi system to read the new style "NT" Garmin maps.

Second - The Map set. This is something that can be obtained several different ways. The first is the way Garmin and Honda want you to do it and that is buy a new CF (Compact Flash) card from them that has the map sets on it at www.garmin.com/goldwing . They want $95 to do this for the 2011 version of the maps (at time of this update). Might be just worth your trouble to go that route, but I like the very latest and most current maps so I just buy the newer version (currently 2016.10) upload them to the card.

The slightly cheaper way is buy the full version of City Navigator, install it on your PC and upload it to the card yourself.

Ok...now that you know what you need - here's how you do it. First, you don't NEED to buy any other CF cards. You can do it with what you already have from Garmin. All you need is a way to read it into your PC. My advice: Back up the old files and just use the existing card. It's cheaper that way.

INSTALLING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE:

Step 1. The various links I've posted on here keep going away so just post on the end of this thread that you need it and someone will likely send it to you. Please don't E-mail me asking for it. Honestly, I got tired of getting endless E-mails about this and usually don't respond anymore. It's not locked and can be freely shared among as many people as you like. And despite what some folks say - it's not copyrighted. To be copyrighted, it must be registered with the US copyright office (which firmwares aren't) The file is called gupdate.gcd The file is a little over 3 megs so it's easily e-mailed around. Someone else said they borrowed one out of a 2008 GL at the dealership to get the file with the dealers permission. Don't bother asking Garmin...they just tell you to go buy the $95 CF card even though it's just a 3 meg file they could easily just post on their site and be done with it. What they are selling is the newer maps and this little firmware file just happens to come along with it to allow our older units to read the newer maps. NOBODY sells firmware

Step 2. BACK UP YOUR CARD or use a new one. Simply copy the files you have on your CF card to your hard drive and remember to put them in a GARMIN folder so if something goes wrong, you can easily restore them.

Step 3. Copy the gupdate.gcd to your CF card BY ITSELF in a folder called GARMIN That's the only file that should be on the card...just a folder and a file. It doesn't matter what the card itself is named.

Step 4. BEFORE you put the card back in the GPS, power up the bike (accessory is fine) and don't press the ENTER button when prompted by the GPS. NOW go around to the trunk and stick the CF card in. Now then...be patient. When you put the card in, the GPS will set there for a little while with just the default Navigation logo screen. It looks like it's not doing anything, but be patient...don't turn the key off. It will eventually read the card and pull the update file into the GPS unit. A small black box at the bottom of the screen will eventually load and show you what's going on. When it's done, the GPS will reboot itself. You can check and make sure that the version number under System info is 4.80

Step 5. Now go take your card back to your PC and restore the files you backed up. Put it back in the GPS and you should be good to go with your maps.

INSTALLING THE NEW MAP SETS

Step 1. This is fairly easy if you've bought the full version of City Navigator. Just simply install the Program to your computer and redeem the unlock code with Garmin. You'll need the serial number off the GPS unit itself to this. To find the serial number, remove the CF card to prevent damage, unscrew the GPS out of the trunk and then remove the metal case from the plastic cover. There will be a sticker on the metal case with the unit serial number. Jot this down as you'll need to enter this serial number when prompted by Garmin to unlock maps.

Step 2. Assuming you've now unlocked the map set and can see all the little detail roads, you need to select the "Map Tool" icon (the one that looks like a square PACMAN and then start in one corner and select all the different sections of North America. Next, make sure your BACKED UP cf card is in your computer and click Transfer - Send to device. This will bring up the send to device box in which you want to make sure "Maps" is checked. It won't allow you upload routes or anything else so don't bother trying. Click send and go get yourself some dinner as this is going to take a while. First it builds the map sets and then it uploads them to the card. It's not uncommon for this to take an hour or more on an older machine. Be patient.

Step 3. Once it's finished uploading all the data to the card, simply put the card back in the GPS and you should have the latest version.

Again - I hope this helps out someone. My only intention here is to share what I've learned..not take credit for those that figured this out. There were several guys such as Pete, Red, Raymond and Dave's motorcycle blog that freely contributed info and help. It was much appreciated guys so hopefully, by compling that info into a guide, the next guy won't have to bug ya'll for info.

LASTLY - PLEASE DO NOT E-mail me asking for support. If you encounter errors and this doesn't work for you, please post your problems here and someone will probably have an answer for you. I RARELY if ever check this thing anymore. This post is only what worked for me. I don't know anything about Canadian or overseas bikes. I wrote this from the perspective of a guy who rides a 2007 US model with the 1st Gen GPS. I see that this thing has taken on a life of it's own over the years and others have stepped up to help those with questions and provide new info where I left off. Thanks guys - ya'll are continuing in the spirit of helpfulness which prompted me to write this thing back nearly 5 years ago.

Regards,

Rainman
jlkeene likes this.

"Um..I'm a vwery good dwiver. Yeah. "
Jeremy Whitehead
Iron Butt Association # 49219

Traxxion Mega-Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Titanium06

did you use the backslash \ infront of GARMIN for the folder name. \Garmin or did you just use GARMIN
post #3 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 PM
ADMIN - Mod2

very nice summary

thank you for posting that

Dennis

....Life....

The problem with closed-minded people is that their mouths are always open.

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.

post #4 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium06
did you use the backslash \ infront of GARMIN for the folder name. \Garmin or did you just use GARMIN
Sorry...I wasn't very clear on that. Just GARMIN

Jeremy Whitehead

Traxxion Mega-Monty
post #5 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium06
Just GARMIN not \GARMIN

Pete

2006 GL1800 Airbag Model
Uni-Go Trailer
W1JEF
post #6 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the file

2006 Titanium with Nav
Utopia backrest
Speedohealer
Traxxion suspension
Smarttire
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Member

So I take it that the card in the Nav system is just a Compact Flash (CF) card. What size (mb/gb) is it?

Can you just copy the contents from one card to a computer and then on to another card? If so, does the other card have to be a Honda / Garmin card or can't you just use another CF card?

If so, that is less secure than I thought Honda / Garmin would be.

"one should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity."
2008 Pearl White - w/Nav.
Aspen camper/trailer.

GWTA Member
When I am on the bike, I am on channel 1.

Click here to see my Wing
post #8 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Member

What does this do the the Nav's operations day to day?
Example question: Can you now actually use it while riding down the road?

Remember when America had freedoms and due process of law? Born Free. Legislated to Death.
What humankind needs is a manned mission to Mars!

2004 Black Cherry Red
post #9 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSeery
So I take it that the card in the Nav system is just a Compact Flash (CF) card. What size (mb/gb) is it?

Can you just copy the contents from one card to a computer and then on to another card? If so, does the other card have to be a Honda / Garmin card or can't you just use another CF card?

If so, that is less secure than I thought Honda / Garmin would be.
Yep. It's just a 2 Gig CF card. Same thing you can buy at any computer store. Like I said..I just pulled the one out of the unit and used it. I didn't see a lot of sense in having to buy a whole new card. It's just your basic SanDisk 2 Gig card...nothing fancy.

Why exactly would security be an issue? Just keep your trunk locked and nobody could take it...it wouldn't do them much good if they did actually.

Jeremy Whitehead

Traxxion Mega-Monty
post #10 of 1623 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Rainman

Why exactly would security be an issue? Just keep your trunk locked and nobody could take it...it wouldn't do them much good if they did actually.
Not security for me, but for Garmin. I would think they would try harder to protect against one person buying the updated software and then just giving copies out to all of his friends.

"one should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity."
2008 Pearl White - w/Nav.
Aspen camper/trailer.

GWTA Member
When I am on the bike, I am on channel 1.

Click here to see my Wing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page