Not pre-empting a message I'll be sending to Pete concerning an update with some issues with mine and a buddy's, but I recently gained a part-time squeal in mine and here's what I found today while investigating. Again, this is not to preempt or over-ride anything Pete has on the subject.
My squeal was an intermittent thing, and I noticed it seemed to do it less when rainy/humid (the wetness seems to improve the grounding, more about that below). Two usual suspects with squeal are routing of the antennae cable near the other inputs (FRS, headset and/or GPS, especially without ferrite cores installed), and a not so great ground.
Took my seat off, hooked up a battery charger (not a tender) to give me full voltage to the radio while testing without the engine running, and proceeded to check.
Found that I would not have a squeal when putting my fingers on the antennae inline connector from the radio's cable to the antennae's cable. Hmmm. My fingers were acting as a capacitive ground for the connector. (cable is shielded too well for it to work when touching the cable). Unhooked the connector, tip was a bit dirty, cleaned and reinstalled. Same symptom. Unthreaded the cable from the ratholes going from inside the trunk to behind the passenger seat and put them inside the trunk. Minor improvement.
Then I hooked an additional temporary ground from the FM antennae grounding bolt to the frame chassis. More improvement. Moved the ground point from the antennae bolt point to the grounding nut that’s on the side of the GL2WAY to the CB unit. Whalla – seems to have cured the issue.
I’m letting it sit overnight, and will retest in the morning. But the main improvement seems to have been the additional ground from the main gl2way unit to the chassis. I’ll probably leave my antennae cable routed inside the trunk, at least for now without a decent reason to put it back through the “normal” ratholes.
Another separate item I’ve noticed with the FRS radio system. The molex connectors that Pete needs to use has some issues with connectivity. Have found our FRS’s would stop working, noticeable when transmitting. First thought it was a bad Push-to-Talk switch, disassembled and cleaned, no improvement. Swapped our FRS radios, noticed with one of them when the PTT was pressed the TX indicator on the radio would sort of fade in-and-out. The other radio’s display didn’t do that, but also wouldn’t actually transmit either like the other one. Removed and re-installed the FRS molex at the gl2way, resolved that problem. A dirty molex connector prevented the transmit signal properly getting to the FRS. End result, also check your connectors at the gl2way.
Different issue we're tracking down. My buddy’s radio seems to work sometimes normally, other times the transmit volume drops real low. On our last ride, his volume started out fine, then later dropped real low (he could still hear me fine). Then later it went back up high, then stopped transmitting and receiving completely. We haven’t had a chance to get back together and do some troubleshooting, he’s on the memorial 1K ride right now, will test later and hopefully have a troubleshooting update.
Hope this long narrative is of some help.