About to install XM/Sirius radio on the bike, need some advice - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
About to install XM/Sirius radio on the bike, need some advice

I got a chance to pick up an XM/Sirius radio and subscription for a real good deal. It's an older unit but, it works just fine when I did a temporary hookup and plugged into my left front pocket's power source and, the aux input for the audio. I have two antennas, they both are about the same size, about 2"x 2" and one is a magnetic. One has a real long cord and the other one, the magnetic one, has a cord about 2-2.5' long and is broken in the middle so, I'd have to solder it if I was intending on using it.

But, my question to you experts on aftermarket XM/Sirius add ons to the 1800 is, where did you locate your antenna? In my test run of the radio, I had the antenna with the long cord just sitting on the dash, just below the windshield vent, while the bike was sitting in the garage and, it was playing nicely. I'd get a bit of cut-out every now and then but, I attributed that to being in the garage and, not mounting it on "metal" like is suggests in the manual for that particular radio. The radio is a Kenwood KTC-H2A1 and so far, based on preliminary tests, it looks like it's going to work just fine.

I don't like things hanging all over the bars so, I'll mount it right on top of the left fairing pocket door. I won't be able to see the LCD panel but, that's no biggie to me, I'll know what buttons are what in terms of which channel I want. But, picking up switch controlled power and, having the auxiliary audio input right under that lid is perfect for me.

But, I really don't want to disassemble half the bike to run the antenna from the trunk area to that left front pocket lid. I'm thinking of the spot where I tested it at, right under the windshield vent. I don't know if there would be any interference with reception by putting it there or not. What do you techs think?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Satelite radio install

Go to http://www.myradiostore.com/mounts-b...rcycle-mounts/
There are a number of mounts available - I use the Hoon motorcycle mount that has a small shelf for the antenna behind the radio.
This is a very simple install although you may have to purchase a small "mobile" antenna.

My reception is great and the radio looks clean and neat. Plus you dont have to worry about running wires all over the place.

Good luck

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member
When I had a Sirius receiver on my GW, I used a magnetic mount antenna on top of the clutch reservoir. The radio was mounted with a RAM mount on the left side handle bar.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Seasoned Member

This is where I placed mine... worked like a charm!

Florida Prowler #23
DS#933 - 100,000 (smiles)
2008 Pearl White GL1800A Canada
2012 Pearl White GL1800A USA

Keep the shiny side up!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member
Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post

This is where I placed mine... worked like a charm!
I did the same thing, but mine was almost flush with the trunk.

2010 Gold Wing 1970 HP383 'Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member
I use the magnetic antenna and it sits in the left corner of the dash. Wires run behind the plastic and are all hidden. Works great.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member
I had my XM antenna just laying on the dash for about three years. The excess wire was tucked behind the left speaker cover then routed around to the radio which was velcroed over the Wing emblem on the top shelter. It worked great. This was a skyfi 2 unit. I cancelled XM early this year.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member
When I had my ultra, HD mounted a bracket inside the fairing and used a magnetic hockey puck. It worked fine through the plastic fairing
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member
You can sort of see mine up on the left side of the dash, above the tach.

Zero problems.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikedash.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	24373  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
I surely want to thank you all for your time and suggestions here. It's very much appreciated. The radio I purchased is a bit larger than most of your aftermarket ones I see in the pics. That's why I want it low, like sitting on the left fairing pocket. I figure, if I drill some holes in that fairing pocket door, I can always get another one, should I decide not to keep that radio or, want to change locations. As for the antenna, I sure like the idea of it on the dash. The wire run would be about as short as it gets. We'll be heading out camping for a few days starting tomorrow so, I'll get to this radio mounting when we return. Thanks to all again. I will consider all the ideas here before I drill my first hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page