FoBo Bike Bluetooth TPMS - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Pressure reading low

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy3 View Post
I have my FoBo sensors on the bike and have some reactions to them.
  1. The lock nut system does not seem useful to me. It just makes adjusting air pressure harder. Besides, why would anyone steal a $50 sensor when they probably don't even know what they do?
  2. The pressure registered by the FoBo sensors disagrees with my other air pressure gages by a small amount. They seem to both sense the pressure about 1 psi lower than my other gages.
  3. The temperature sensors do seem to be useful at least to give a close reading as to the temperature. I'm going to compare them with the readings from an infrared thermometer soon.
  4. The notification system for incorrect pressure seems somewhat inadequate. It produces a single audible tone and then the display flashes the pressure that is incorrect if the FoBo app is in the foreground. With a phone in the sunlight, the flashing display is not especially easy to see.
Even with these issues, it seems to be a very useful entry level TPMS. It will allow me to check my tire pressure every time I ride and it will provide a warning beep if my tire pressures go out of the desired range. I would think it would be worth the $100 as an easy way to check your tire pressure when you ride even if you did not have a way to hear the alert when your tire pressure goes out of range.
have confirmed that both of my sensors are between 1 and 2 psi low in comparison with both a mechanical and a digital gage.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Titanium GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Here a response from my contact at FOBO. Hope no one gets confused.

“Gauge pressure is zero-referenced against ambient air pressure. This means that the gauge pressure is 0 kPa (or 0 Psi) if the applied air pressure inside a container, let say 101.325 kPa is equal to the outside atmospheric pressure which is 101.325 kPa. FOBO Bike uses the absolute pressure principle. It is zero-referenced against a perfect vacuum which is equal to gauge pressure plus atmospheric pressure. So, in this case it is equal to 101.325 kPa. If the absolute pressure of air stays constant, the gauge pressure of the same air will vary as atmospheric pressure changes. For example, when a bike rides up a mountain, the gauge pressure goes up because atmospheric pressure goes down. The absolute pressure in the tire is essentially unchanged.
In addition, our GE sensors have a resolution of 1.38kPa as compared to standard gauge in the market/gas station which can be off by as much as 5 to 10 kPa. I hope this explains the discrepancy you see in the reading between FOBO Bike and standard handheld gauges/gas stations.”
Hope this explains.

Buckskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy3 View Post
have confirmed that both of my sensors are between 1 and 2 psi low in comparison with both a mechanical and a digital gage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Buckskin
Airmont Distributing.com
Home of the Exchange
Member since 2003
Houston, Texas
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Will these work with a Windows phone bluetooth?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Member

This system will work with Android or iPhone smartphone. Not sure what a Windows phone is classified as but seems like it would work. This works by Bluetooth and that is the same for all platforms?
Buckskin
Go some in stock now and they are going fast.......
Ordering more today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Buckskin
Airmont Distributing.com
Home of the Exchange
Member since 2003
Houston, Texas
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

This system will work with Android or iPhone smartphone. Not sure what a Windows phone is classified as but seems like it would work. This works by Bluetooth and that is the same for all platforms?
Buckskin
In stock now and they are going fast.......
Ordering more today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Buckskin
Airmont Distributing.com
Home of the Exchange
Member since 2003
Houston, Texas
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Windows phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
Buckskin
In stock now and they are going fast.......
Ordering more today.
The app is not available for a Windows phone so it would not work. The bluetooth is the same, but the app is needed to interpret the data from the pressure sensors.

Terry

DS# 1595
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

FoBo Absolute pressure

For some reason I could not quote Buckskin's post, but I will paste it in here. This is a reply he got from FoBo regarding the pressure reported by the sensors.
“Gauge pressure is zero-referenced against ambient air pressure. This means that the gauge pressure is 0 kPa (or 0 Psi) if the applied air pressure inside a container, let say 101.325 kPa is equal to the outside atmospheric pressure which is 101.325 kPa. FOBO Bike uses the absolute pressure principle. It is zero-referenced against a perfect vacuum which is equal to gauge pressure plus atmospheric pressure. So, in this case it is equal to 101.325 kPa. If the absolute pressure of air stays constant, the gauge pressure of the same air will vary as atmospheric pressure changes. For example, when a bike rides up a mountain, the gauge pressure goes up because atmospheric pressure goes down. The absolute pressure in the tire is essentially unchanged.
In addition, our GE sensors have a resolution of 1.38kPa as compared to standard gauge in the market/gas station which can be off by as much as 5 to 10 kPa. I hope this explains the discrepancy you see in the reading between FOBO Bike and standard handheld gauges/gas stations.”
Hope this explains.

I have been thinking about this for a few days before responding. While on first glance it seems that having an absolute pressure measure would be the best option, that really does not seem to be the case when viewed in detail. The tire does not care anything about absolute pressure, it only cares about gauge pressure, which is the difference between the pressure outside the tire and inside the tire. Yes, absolute pressure does give a good indication of whether a tire is leaking as you change elevation and as the barometric pressure changes. However, that does not seem to be the critical value. If I understand what the FoBo sensor is doing correctly, the sensor will report the same pressure in your tire whether you are at the top of Pike's Peak or in the bottom of Death Valley, but with the change in elevation, the gauge pressure of your tires will vary by over 4.5 psi due to the atmospheric pressure change.

I do not think this is a significant problem as long as the rider understands what is being reported by the sensor.

Terry

DS# 1595
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quick question?

Ok I'm riding down the highway and one of my tires loses pressure, these sensors notifies my phone. But the problem is my phone is in my pocket and I don't normally use it when riding. So now what?

I don't understand the concept. Wouldn't a monitor on the dash still be better? I understand some people mount their phones on the handle bars or dash. I guess I'm out riding and the last thing I need is the phone distraction. Thats just me

Not to start an arguement, just another distracted driver again.
The Captain likes this.

Darkside #1540
Michelin Primacy PA3 Alpin 195/55-16
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

FoBo Bike Bluetooth TPMS

Being a long time member of this board, I know the nuances of what Goldwingers concerns and likes and dislikes. One of the issues came up a day or so ago about the Bluetooth possibly conflicts. I asked them about this and here is their answer "Regarding music, there is absolutely no issue. The best thing is the music will stop during a pressure alert, and the alert will take over the music if users are using their bluetooth headsets. Safety is assured all the time".

So I think you will find that even if phone is on belt holster or in compartment the the alert will sound though the headsets on our helmets. That's even better than in the past systems. Additionally if phone is on belt holster it will vibrate and do so until user manually turns it off. Again, this is for the next version they are working on now. I asked for these changes and they are responding.

Those of you that might have this system already, note that there is a new version of the App and you should download it now. One of the nice features I got them to consider is instead of that blue sport bike if you hold you finger on the bike for 5 seconds it will give you the option to take a picture of your Wing or from you photos in phone to put that up there instead. In near future updates, they will allow the user to set his own ringtone/alarm and it will not shut off until the user manually turns it off. This is useful for those with hearing issues that might hear one tone better than some other tones.
Buckskin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Buckskin
Airmont Distributing.com
Home of the Exchange
Member since 2003
Houston, Texas
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
Being a long time member of this board, I know the nuances of what Goldwingers concerns and likes and dislikes. One of the issues came up a day or so ago about the Bluetooth possibly conflicts. I asked them about this and here is their answer "Regarding music, there is absolutely no issue. The best thing is the music will stop during a pressure alert, and the alert will take over the music if users are using their bluetooth headsets. Safety is assured all the time".

So I think you will find that even if phone is on belt holster or in compartment the the alert will sound though the headsets on our helmets. That's even better than in the past systems. Additionally if phone is on belt holster it will vibrate and do so until user manually turns it off. Again, this is for the next version they are working on now. I asked for these changes and they are responding.

Those of you that might have this system already, note that there is a new version of the App and you should download it now. One of the nice features I got them to consider is instead of that blue sport bike if you hold you finger on the bike for 5 seconds it will give you the option to take a picture of your Wing or from you photos in phone to put that up there instead. In near future updates, they will allow the user to set his own ringtone/alarm and it will not shut off until the user manually turns it off. This is useful for those with hearing issues that might hear one tone better than some other tones.
Buckskin
Thanks for the heads up, Buckskin. I'll download that new app.

I like the alarm is active till you turn it off, hopefully FOBO gets the app updated with that feature soon. Pretty sweet!

Hopefully I'll get the bike together this weekend to try out the new TPMS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page