Feedback squalling from CB - GL1800Riders
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Grampawinger
  • 1 Post By ssncob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Feedback squalling from CB

A few weeks ago I had an issue where every time I keyed the mic with the PTT button, I would get feed back type squalling noise. I did a search here and found a couple of threads that pointed to the ground point in the trunk needing to be checked and cleaned. I did that and it cleared up. Today while on a ride with fellow GL1800 member it worked fine at first but then after a few transmissions I would still get that squalling but not all the time, just from time to time.

I am trying to understand what may be causing this, once we separated and I was on the road alone, I keyed the mic several times in various channels and never did get the squalling again.

What are the possible causes of this, would dirty or corroded contacts on the PTT button cause this?

I adjusted the squelch up and down did not seem to help, at one point I turned the intercom off, that seem to help but makes no sense so I am sure it was a coincidence.

Thanks

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

One very astute rider recently posted that most cb squeeeling is a symptom of a "grounding" problem.

I got rid of most of my cb problems by using a socket wrench to tighten the negative terminal of the battery with a socket wrench in lieu of a Phillips screwdriver. Not TOO MUCH, a quarter turn seems to feel right.

Others will chime in about other radio wave overtones etc.

gramps

ssncob and Barrycuda67 like this.

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

If you and your buddy were close together when transmitting, the output from the transmitting radio may be too great for the receiver circuit on the receiving radio.
That doesn't quite match with your description of the problem, but it could account for you not getting a problem when you are on your own. We need more info on the exact circumstance of when the issue arises.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks I will double check the battery ground.
It did not seem to be associated with the proximity of the two bikes, but we did not check that methodically, when I would broadcast and get feedback, he could answer with no problem and also could hear the squalling from my radio in his speakers.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Seasoned Member

I have had the squealing noise a couple times and in the middle of a trip I removed the seat and made sure the intercom connections were fully engaged! Squeal gone.
Check your intercom connectors under the seat and left pocket. I hit a new pipe crossing so hard coming home from Alaska that I lost intercom and one wire connector was separated under the seat.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Seasoned Member

All good comments above. May also want to take a read at this posting that alludes to what Gramps was saying...

Resolvement of squealing issues when using CB system

Grampawinger likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
All good comments above. May also want to take a read at this posting that alludes to what Gramps was saying...

Resolvement of squealing issues when using CB system

Great info thanks, I will keep all of that in mind when I have a chance to dig into the issue.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page