6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Time to give it up..

MY data plan..

.. what did you think I was talking about..haha

Back in the summer of 2011 I gave advice here on how to get unlimited data and keep it. Some of you have thanked me for the advice, others have cursed me for not hitting you with a bigger hammer and missing out..
...snooze lose.
Well, the times they are a changing.

For almost the past 6 years I've had unlimited data for about $30 a month and I never thought I'd give it up but Verizon just talked me out of it.

imho the new Samsung S8+ is a game changer

Here are the basics:
Even though I have (had) unlimited data, my actual usage was more like 3-4 gigs per month on average but jumped to 10-15 gigs per month during the summer riding season and full time on the road (the "smart bike" is a data hog)..so unlimited data has been essential for all the "fun stuff".

The new S8+ is (was) calling my name but at $850 my deaf ear was dominant.

..then Verizon's "single user" data plan caught my attention:
5 gig data and unlimited everything else for about $35 LESS per month than my unlimited data plan.
(15% discount for vets still applies.)

TRANSLATION: get a new S8+ for the SAME total monthly rate as before (less than $100/mo total including taxes etc ).

and .. For the summer season I can raise the bar to nearly unlimited data for only $15 more per month and then drop back to 5 gig for the rest of the year.

i.e. if I kick up the data to near unlimited for 4 months per year ($60) and do that for the next 2 years .. I'm out $120 total over my existing rate
Translation: I get a new S8+ for $120
(plus up front sales tax.. about $60 in Florida)..no interest on the 2 year phone contract.

The S8+ is a cool addition to the motorcycle.. waterproof! .. VERY bright daylight readable screen..BlueTooth 5 (1000 ft range and able to share single music source with two wireless headsets at the same time, lower power consumption, etc )... VERY fast wireless recharge (90 minutes).

So check it out if you're shopping for a new phone.
.. consider yourself hammered

(If you detect a flaw in my logic, let me know now.. I've still got 10 days to change my mind..lol..)

Dennis
Whisper Jet likes this.

Dennis
Administrator
aka
Den-WingWing-Mod2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator 2 View Post
MY data plan..

.. what did you think I was talking about..haha

Back in the summer of 2011 I gave advice here on how to get unlimited data and keep it. Some of you have thanked me for the advice, others have cursed me for not hitting you with a bigger hammer and missing out..
...snooze lose.
Well, the times they are a changing.

For almost the past 6 years I've had unlimited data for about $30 a month and I never thought I'd give it up but Verizon just talked me out of it.

imho the new Samsung S8+ is a game changer

Here are the basics:
Even though I have (had) unlimited data, my actual usage was more like 3-4 gigs per month on average but jumped to 10-15 gigs per month during the summer riding season and full time on the road (the "smart bike" is a data hog)..so unlimited data has been essential for all the "fun stuff".

The new S8+ is (was) calling my name but at $850 my deaf ear was dominant.

..then Verizon's "single user" data plan caught my attention:
5 gig data and unlimited everything else for about $35 LESS per month than my unlimited data plan.
(15% discount for vets still applies.)

TRANSLATION: get a new S8+ for the SAME total monthly rate as before (less than $100/mo total including taxes etc ).

and .. For the summer season I can raise the bar to nearly unlimited data for only $15 more per month and then drop back to 5 gig for the rest of the year.

i.e. if I kick up the data to near unlimited for 4 months per year ($60) and do that for the next 2 years .. I'm out $120 total over my existing rate
Translation: I get a new S8+ for $120
(plus up front sales tax.. about $60 in Florida)..no interest on the 2 year phone contract.

The S8+ is a cool addition to the motorcycle.. waterproof! .. VERY bright daylight readable screen..BlueTooth 5 (1000 ft range and able to share single music source with two wireless headsets at the same time, lower power consumption, etc )... VERY fast wireless recharge (90 minutes).

So check it out if you're shopping for a new phone.
.. consider yourself hammered

(If you detect a flaw in my logic, let me know now.. I've still got 10 days to change my mind..lol..)

Dennis
Yes the new Verizon single line plan that came out in January is about the best in the business but I don't understand your arithmetic, you started out saying your unlimited data plan was $30 a month, then you say the new plan is $35 a month less than your unLimited plan. Isn't the new single line plan $55 a month minus your 15% military discount which would make it about $47 a month ? The new plan no overage charges thing sure sounds great but I wonder how well it actually works.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Hi Mike,
sorry for confusion...
.. the old gray mare ain't what she used to be..

My old bill approx $75 'till last fall.
$30 for unlimited data and the rest for 450 talk minutes and 1000 txt messages (the old way of doing cell phones).
Last fall they finally raised my grandfathered unlimited data rate from $30 to $50 bringing my new total to low $90's with all the B.S. fees.

Now for a few bucks more, I get a new phone too..
When the phone is paid I should go back to low sixties again..
...i think...lol..

Sure I could have just nabbed the new plan but my old phone was running fewer and fewer apps..it was stll on kitKat i think

Den

Dennis
Administrator
aka
Den-WingWing-Mod2

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator 2 View Post
Hi Mike,
sorry for confusion...
.. the old gray mare ain't what she used to be..

My old bill approx $75 'till last fall.
$30 for unlimited data and the rest for 450 talk minutes and 1000 txt messages (the old way of doing cell phones).
Last fall they finally raised my grandfathered unlimited data rate from $30 to $50 bringing my new total to low $90's with all the B.S. fees.

Now for a few bucks more, I get a new phone too..
When the phone is paid I should go back to low sixties again..
...i think...lol..

Sure I could have just nabbed the new plan but my old phone was running fewer and fewer apps..it was stll on kitKat i think

Den
Hi Dennis I'm sure you will enjoy the new phone a lot ! How far do you think it will transmit data ? I don't know how far my jetpack will transmit but I've been able to use my iPad from more than 300 away even while inside different buildings, I've heard folks complain their smartphones won't even transmit data to the next room and they often drop the data when a phone call comes in ? Those are a couple of reasons I'm reluctant to switch to a smartphone even though it would save me about $25 a month.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Resident BBQ Expert

Dennis, why do ya'll insist on making Verizon so profitable?

Here is a different solution

ZTE Mobley hotspot for $100 with NO contact, or free with a 2 year contract, with UNLIMITED data on AT&T @ $20 a month, and of course no activation fee
$30 on ebay for a Mobley to usb adapter to power it on bike, or from laptop
Tello under $10 a month for unlimited text and as much talk as you would ever need, no contact, bring your own device, port number or change device for FREE

The Mobley would also plug into the diagnostic port of any car , or power it in a house and use a wireless router as a bridge and have wifi everywhere at home as well

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

We need a moderator to move this moderator post to non motorcycle related area. Last thing I care about in this world is a phone. Well airplane travel, or anything related to them things #1, probably any Harley threads about those things #2, phones #3 of things I wish were never invented, and will never miss after I die.
spummerr likes this.

2008 GL1800, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200ES
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm interested in learning about any new phone, or cheaper data...Hey if you were on your motorcycle and didn't have any phone signal when needed you'd B upset -Right!!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluke189 View Post
We need a moderator to move this moderator post to non motorcycle related area. Last thing I care about in this world is a phone. Well airplane travel, or anything related to them things #1, probably any Harley threads about those things #2, phones #3 of things I wish were never invented, and will never miss after I die.
Sorry you feel offended , phones are a very important part of everyday life and motorcycling , I'm surprised your not complaining about electricity or running water

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 PM
ADMIN - Mod2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Hi Dennis I'm sure you will enjoy the new phone a lot ! How far do you think it will transmit data ? .
So far so good..
I've not had a chance to check the hot spot range but I'll blurb back here when I do..

It's own Wi-Fi is great..
... fastest wireless up and download I've owned
( Speedtest)
...gets the same as my Ethernet pc.
(about 225 down and 25 up)

Den

....Life....

The problem with closed-minded people is that their mouths are always open.

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:35 PM
ADMIN - Mod2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren View Post
Dennis, why do ya'll insist on making Verizon so profitable?
Loren,
because, for the most part, it works better than the others when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Den

....Life....

The problem with closed-minded people is that their mouths are always open.

";;;;;;;;;
{}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page