Headset Problem - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Headset Problem

I just purchased a Nolan N91 helmet and the speakers from my Nolan N-com 102 will not fit the ear pockets on the new helmet. Do i need to get smaller speakers or enlarge the helmet pockets. It is a J&M headset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:00 AM

Me too...second problem

I bought 2 Honda sets with my 2014 GL1800 purchase last year. Lost the mic on one headset a couple of months ago along with one copper/brass pin for the left speaker. Two different circuits and two different times. The dealer was very accommodating and returned the headset and replaced with a new one free. Now my second headset cord has broken a pin in exactly the same spot. At the helmet for the left speaker. I understand the Honda sets are made by J and M. I bought another J and M anyway for a third helmet for the kids. Not really understanding why the pins are made so weak and have ordered another J and M set. Anyone else have the same thing? I'd like to think it isn't user error as I have been very gentle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

I've been using J&M for almost 40 years (7 gold wings) and have never broken a pin. I have in that span had 2 wires in cords break and J&M fixed them right up.

75GL1000
Prowler 8789

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

The Hondaline headset uses the old J&M 5 pin clamp and 90% of the these cord failures are the mic pin breaking at the upper end of the "D" cord and the pin stays in the clamp. When the pin cannot be easily removed I just push it into the clamp by lining up a new "E" cord and just push it into the clamp.
Since I have seen 100's of the pin failures of the mic pin, when looking at the headset upper cord pins it is the 1st pin to left, I have always thought it was a failure of the placement of that pin in the clamp being out of alignment .
Funny that this thread was started as a local couple just dropped off 2 helmets at my home here in Fl. and both are have the Hondaline headsets and the passengers headset has all 5 pins broken off in the clamp.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:49 PM

In retrospect I think it may have been me. I load the helmet in the top box with the cord loaded into the helmet. I have an organizer in the top of the lid and an XXL helmet. The connector is at the bottom and takes all the load when I close the lid. It's probably twisting and fatiguing the pin. In the end it snaps. I may not be the only person doing this. Going to change how I do this.....don't know how yet but I'll figure something out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Simple, just unplug the cord when storing the helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page