Silver Lady Log (2015) - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Silver Lady Log (2015)

2015 Audio Comfort, purchased February 2015

150 miles - added the following upgrades, Fuzz Block power distribution system, Autocom Super Pro Automatic, interfaces for Goldwing audio to Autocom, CB Radio, single antenna, for AM/FM and CB, Zumo 665 mount, Adaptiv Radar mount, two Powerlet outlets for heated gear, Rear spoiler with Trailblazer modulator, left from "glove box" stereo audio input and cigarette lighter socket.

875 miles - First Oil change. Added Show Chrome tapered bolts for seat (I have removed and reinstalled the seat a lot to get the audio system where I want it.)

Next up.. Fog Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Fog Light

After much searching, reviewing and well just and, I ordered a set of the Show Chrome square fog lights. I will update this message after the install They are to be shipped sometime after April 30.

Note The April 30th shipping date was missed... It was changed to 5/15/2015... That was yesterday.. The order still says its "processing".. I will call them on Monday and check the status.

Update 5/18/2015 Called today to check on order, its now delayed until the first of June.. I don't really mind waiting but.....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Audio/Autocom Update

Took the Silver Lady out for a spin today to verify that changes I had made to the Autocom system were acceptable. I am happy to say that everything was cool. No intermittent wind noise through the mikes, sound levels good and variable based on outside noise. So its ready for the upcoming trip out west

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Contour HD Camera

A couple of days ago I put the mount for a Contour HD Camera under the nose of the Silver Lady (see picture below). A couple of things to note.

1. I have a camera mount in the same place on my 2007 ST1300. This is different from the original mount that came with the camera in 2010. That mount did not have a "locking" tab to lock the mounts rotation. It did not really need one the indentations held it well. However the mounts failing was that the inner wheel that rotated to align the camera separated from the main portion of the mount somewhere in an interstate in Kentucky or Tennessee. The part that is attached to the bike remained in place. That is the 3 M adhesive is much better than the plastic it was attached to.

2. This mount has a "locking" tab that is to be used to align the camera and then lock it (the rotating plate) in place. Once locked, you cannot swivel it but the fit is so poor it can be moved. So, while it won't rotate again, it sure as heck will vibrated.. I intend to solve that problem in the same way I did on the ST, epoxy the inner mount in place now that it is aligned.

3. There is a tether that attaches to the camera and the mount so that if the camera falls off the mounting rails i won't fall far. However, it is attached to the inner mounting ring which separated before. The solution to this is to run a piece of mono filament line between the mount and the handbags. If the slack goes out of the line on the road, that means the camera has fallen off but it probably did not fall far. Since I have done the above I have used the camera on the ST with out instance for many hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0029.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	67429  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

4122 Miles
Replaced the rear tire with new OEM.

If case anyone wonders why, I have a long trip coming up in a couple of weeks. I have read that tire life varies. On the ST1300 and the Valkyire I got about 8 to 10,000 miles on the rear. So, I did not want to take a chance and stop and have to replace it on the road. I have the old tire and intent to re-use it this fall or next spring, depending....

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Mileage 4130 Changed oil and oil filter no issues.....

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Mileage 10388, Changed Oil with Rotella T 15W-40 (same thing my MF tractor uses I had an extra gallon after last tractor oil change) and OEM Filter (and a new crush washer)

Added Show Chrome 52-906 1800 Square Fog Light Kit from Genes Gallery. The lights are installed but i have not installed the switch yet... Next on my list.. Pic will follow.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

14,124 miles - Did the full Traxxion upgrade front and rear (did not install the fork brace), The bike does seem to be more nimble in low speed turns and less vibration at the handle bars.

Also the Traxxion guy told me they recommend lower tire pressures 35 front and 38 rear.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Autocom Mod

As noted on this forum (at least I think it was here) the Autocom super pro has an automated system for raising the level of volume based on outside noise (well lets say the enviornment in which you are riding). The system uses a noise sensor that plugs into the normal wiring harness in the helmets. On my ST1300, the noise sensor works very well. However, on the Goldwing there is less noise around the rider so the system is not as responsive to changes in speed or wind/turbulence. This is most obvious on the interstate in traffic at speed when you have a passenger and they are plugged into the system.

The fix is to change the location of the noise sensor. So this past week, I swapped the rider and passenger leads for the Autocom and added a noise sensor to my wife's helmet.

The drawback to this is that if you are riding my yourself, you loose the benefits of the noise sensor. The fix is easy, you just plug into the riders lead which is located behind you. The standard cord has no problem reaching this lead and its very awakard with the lead running behind you.

Just for the record, I don't have helmet speakers I, and my wife, both use in earphones (in the ear speakers if you like) from Ear Inc. Its an extra wire but, it has the benefit of reducing outside noise to the ears (hey act as noise abating ear plugs as well).

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

14,500 or so miles - Added under mirror mounting brackets and installed PIAA 910 lights. They are not wired up yet. I wanted to see if they caused any airflow issues. They did not, or at least I did not notice any changes but then I did have a new Shark Evoline 3 Helmet. My old Shark Evoline, over five years old, had reached the end of its useful life.

Pictures of lights and brackets will be added later.

Installation of the brackets and lights was easy. Wiring will not be hard but requires the removal of some plastic pieces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page