Teardrop Trailers & Goldwings? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Teardrop Trailers & Goldwings?

Does anyone have experience in towing a Teardrop sized camper trailer behind a GL1800? I'm looking for a way to move the two of us about the country without hotel/motel costs and perhaps do a little 'boonies' camping now and then.

I would consider buying the right unit or perhaps building a simple ultra light (350-400#) unit myself. I'm not much of a wielder but I can hire that done.

Anyone? Thanks
WestWing 03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Hmrepairs

Interested in answers here. I'm thinking of building a tear-drop trailer this winter for the same reasons. Would love to see pictures of some, or a link to a few homebuilts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

I don't own a teardrop yet. I do belong to the teardrop forum and that question has been asked there. Those that pull a teardrop behind a bike love them. They are light enough and like most trailers if it's loaded correctly pull great.

There is one company that I know of that makes teardrops for bikes but they are expensive...around $6,000. On this forum they show you how to make your own teardrop for quite a bit less than that.

It's an interesting read and they will answer any questions you have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]David

1998 GL Goldwing 1500 SE with Motor Trike Conversion

Bikes I started out on:
Allstate Moped
Honda 350-4 Cylinder
Honda 450
Honda 750
Honda 1100
GL 1500 w/Motor Trike
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

I have seen these. The look heavy but are only 335 empty.
http://www.microlitetrailer.com/

George Patrick Th.D.
CMA Chapter #854
USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Seasoned Member

That is a great looking unit. I sure wish it was lighter. 335 empty as a starting weight is a bit heavy. I would like to see a lightweight no frills camper for either one or two people. Sleeping off the ground and not having to set up a tent is a big plus in my mind.

RIP BEVERLY
2008 Titanium
2005 Bushtec Quantum GL
Darksider #62
AMA Life Member
Patriot Guard Rider
Florida Honorary Prowler #70
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnordt04 View Post
That is a great looking unit. I sure wish it was lighter. 335 empty as a starting weight is a bit heavy. I would like to see a lightweight no frills camper for either one or two people. Sleeping off the ground and not having to set up a tent is a big plus in my mind.

Right! We put a man on the moon 40 years ago! Why can't we build a very light and safe camper for a large motorcycle like the Goldwing?

I realize that their are all sorts of hi-tech goodies out there but I'm thinking about something that could be built in one's own garage, perhaps without welding(?)

Has anyone ever bolted or glued an aluminum trailer frame/superstructure/monocouque?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

That doesn't sound too heavy. I think my Aspen Classic is around 350 and the goldwing does fine with that.

bryansong

Bryansong
2002 Silver[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestWing03 View Post
Right! We put a man on the moon 40 years ago! Why can't we build a very light and safe camper for a large motorcycle like the Goldwing?

I realize that their are all sorts of hi-tech goodies out there but I'm thinking about something that could be built in one's own garage, perhaps without welding(?)

Has anyone ever bolted or glued an aluminum trailer frame/superstructure/monocouque?
I don't think the issue is whether or not this can be done...clearly it could be.

The question is whether or not it can be done cost effectively. The volume in which such a unit can be sold would be so small as to (I suspect) make it prohibitive.

BTW, the total cost of the Apollo spacecraft and Saturn V rockets were about 83 Billion dollars in 2005 dollars.

What'ya say Tom Finch? Got any R&D $$$ left after launching the Tailwind?

Could we get it built under the Stimulus Program?

The only way I could see it happening would be for a large trailer firm to make it as a Loss Leader / Flagship.

It should would attract attention I bet.

'06 GL1800 Dark Red Premium Audio
42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Perhaps is another way of looking at the problem of developing a high performance Camper for the Goldwing.

I have working in the computer filed for over 35 years and one thing that has become clear to me is that 'open source' projects (people work on a project in lose collaboration without pay) turn out all kinds of innovations and some very good code that is free to the public. If you want to sell it you buy a license. Examples of this would include the FireFox Browser, OpenOffice and the Umbutu OS. The new Google OS and Android OSes are also open source.

That being said it would be to the advantage of those who are interested in 'raising the bar' on trailers to openly talk, share ideas and publish their work in print or actual product running down the road.

In the mean time I'm still looking at putting together some type of ultra lite camper for next year. I'll keep you posted.

PPS - packing tonight for a wing trip down to Pismo beach form the Bay Area in the AM. I just love Highway 1!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Mlsa how about some links
Henry

o7 Wing Drk Metallic Orange
Kumho 195/55/16 #378

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page