Older Hannigan Trailers - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Older Hannigan Trailers

I'm looking at purchasing a used (1999) Hannigan Europa trailer. Are there any specific areas that I should look at that have a history of failure or problems?

Are there specific years where major changes to the design should be considered?

Based on what I have read in this forum, it would appear that Hannigan trailers are right up at the top of the list with T/Wind, Bushtec, and Champion. Seems somewhat strange, of these top rated units, Hannigan seems to be of the simplest design. Or am I missing something?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
2012 GL 1800 ABS
2008 GL 1800 Airbag
2002 GL 1800 Level 1
1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
1973 CB 750 Gold
Darksider #443
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Used Hannigans are not easy to find. I have never heard of any year models being problematic. If it's in satisfactory condition for the asking price in your opinion....BUY IT.

Stephen
2008 Black GL1800
DS #246
He is, therefore, I am.
Cancer Sucks!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Ditto, very hard to find a used Hannigan. All i can say is the trailer is wonderful and the people at Hannigan provide top notch customer service.

Tim
2006 GL1800 ABS Beautiful Dark Red
2009 Hannigan Sierra Beautiful Dark Red
G.W.B.B.A. #21
US ARMY RETIRED
Civilian Contractor in Iraq
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Ask to see the maintenance records, if any. Only thing I can think of is if the wheel bearings were properly repacked. Tom
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Hannigan Trailers

I had a 97 for 6 years and other than repacking the bearings it was flawless. Sold it in 2003 after I bought a new wing and the cost to repaint was too high. I have had the 2003 ever since and other than repacking the bearings it too has been flawless. My co-rider would not let me buy any other due to the looks and it pulls like a dream and I will keep it for many more years since I just had a trike conversion done on the 2002 wing.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Mine is a '96 and the only thing I've done was to make it purtier.

PS: It does get washed & waxed once in a while.

Pearl Hot Rod Yeller is the fastest, gets better mileage, attracts fewer bugs, better looking owners, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Must be true; you read it here!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

I am in the market for a M/C cargo trailer as evidence with my posts on the thread "Who makes the best pull behind trailer"
2015 Black Wheels with tires
Tom Finch rates trailers in the following order:
1. Tailwind (no surprize there)
2. Hannigan
3. Champion

I would love to have a Tailwind but I still cannot justify (to me OR the wife) the $7000 price tag. I would like to find a Hannigan but all the dealerships are back East, and I would like to pick it up at the factory, but don't relish a cross country jaunt to make that happen.

The Champions are made here in California so that is the way I am leaning. My question is where were you looking to find used Hannigans? I certainly haven't seen any on Ebay. A PM would be fine.

Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
Retired in Roseburg, OR
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tom Finch
I had a 2001 Europa and the only problem was that the taillights Dave used had two brake lights in each side meaning four high power filaments when the brake is on. That coupled with the undersized relays in the isolator systems sold with the hitches resulted in welded contacts for the brake section of the relay package, and that kept the brake lights on full time until it melted the socket for the trailer plug. This happened three times and forever soured me on the little relay packs they use in the isolator harnesses that come with the hitches.

Relative to the trailer, the Taillights are no longer available which should lower the value of the early Hannigan trailers. For those that like projects, this is an opportunity because the taillight pockets can be glassed in and surface type Brake/turn/marker lights can be used.

Then you have a good trailer at low cost plus some elbow grease and some painting.

If the Taillight housings are not broken, then you can put off the glass work until one of the taillights is broken or it cracks from age.

Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
'10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Tom: What make/year car are the older (i.e. '96) Hannigan Europa taillights from? About 18 months ago (??), a member from this board had a set of those lights for sale.

Pearl Hot Rod Yeller is the fastest, gets better mileage, attracts fewer bugs, better looking owners, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Must be true; you read it here!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Finch View Post
I had a 2001 Europa and the only problem was that the taillights Dave used had two brake lights in each side meaning four high power filaments when the brake is on. That coupled with the undersized relays in the isolator systems sold with the hitches resulted in welded contacts for the brake section of the relay package, and that kept the brake lights on full time until it melted the socket for the trailer plug. This happened three times and forever soured me on the little relay packs they use in the isolator harnesses that come with the hitches.

Relative to the trailer, the Taillights are no longer available which should lower the value of the early Hannigan trailers. For those that like projects, this is an opportunity because the taillight pockets can be glassed in and surface type Brake/turn/marker lights can be used.

Then you have a good trailer at low cost plus some elbow grease and some painting.

If the Taillight housings are not broken, then you can put off the glass work until one of the taillights is broken or it cracks from age.
Tom,
Thanks for responding (and everyone else too). I met you and the fruits of your passion at WingDing last year. The Tailwind is a very impressive piece of engineering and hope some day to own one....As I work my way towards owning the Lexus of trailers...your Tailwind, the Hannigan will hopefully get me a few years of good service.

I've not heard of the relay issues and wonder is there a isolation harness that does provide the suitable sized relay to accomodate the current higher draw of the dual brake lights? Right now I have a new EC harness installed on the wing. Are the relays you refer to of the older vintage harnesses that existed during the GL1500 timeframe? Perhaps another solution might be to replace the 1157 bulbs with LED bulbs?
Thanks again for your response...
JHughes556

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
2012 GL 1800 ABS
2008 GL 1800 Airbag
2002 GL 1800 Level 1
1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
1973 CB 750 Gold
Darksider #443

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page