Do trailers have pink slips? (Zephyr) - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Do trailers have pink slips? (Zephyr)

I found a Zephyr for sale. It's not plated or registered and here is the owner's story:

It was given to them by a friend of the family who bought it new and never used it because his wife still wouldn't go on trips with him. The clear coat is peeling because it was just sitting on the side of the house. They bought a hitch for their Harley with the intention of using it, but they never got the hitch installed and decided they aren't going to use it.

I've never owned any sort of trailer so I'm wondering:

1) Do trailers like this have pink slips?
2) Does a Zephyr have a VIN? (if so, where is it located, she said she didn't see one)

My obvious concern is to make sure it's legit, not stolen, and that I can register it. Any advice is welcome.

I intend on calling cyclemate/timeouttrailers tomorrow when they are open, but I'm still hoping to get some info here.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Resident BBQ Expert
Every state has a different rule and system

Arkansas has a tittle, and a lifetime plate

ok and texas just doesnt seem to care, and all you get is a bill of sale from a used purchase

check your state for sure

once you pay your trailer, its your job to get a title, it took me 5 months recently to get one out of texas into arkansas

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member
I believe they do, but in Indiana, its just as easy to have it inspected by an officer, create a VIN, and get it tagged if it doesn't have a title or Cert of Origin....

No clue on the VIN, but usually every manufactured vehicle has one, and if it was hand-built, one will have to be created for it by the State. Check underneath the tongue for the VIN...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member
Send a message via AIM to Jeff in Ferndale WA
As said above,states differ.Washington has a title,plate and a tab that has to be renewed anually.
I'm sure there's a vin somewhere.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member
I only needed a bill of sale no title required because of the trailer size.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Thanks a lot all. I had the current owner check by the toung where the weights are posted, but there's no vin there.

I'll check with the manufacturer tomorrow and if they say there is no VIN, then I'll feel just fine about it.

I'll post pics as soon as I join the club ... hopefully tomorrow!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member
I received the original "Certificate of Origin" with my 99 Hannigan that I purchased last month. It was issued by the manufacturer and looks similar to an automotive title. Information such as empty and gross weight, model description serial number etc were included. Also an area to transfer ownership is provided on the document.

Knowing that all I needed was a bill of sale to register in Texas, I also had a BOS signed and notarized before taking possession of the trailer. Better to have more than needed I always say.....

For registration in Texas, all I needed was a bill of sale since the trailer was under 4000#. DMV had no interest in the Cert of origin.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Grumpy Fart
In MN you can get a plate for a bobcat trailer with a sales invoice. A homemade semi trailer will need to be inspected and a VIN number created at Motor Vehicles dept.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
I spoke with the manufacturer this morning and it seems timeouttrailers bought cyclemate in 2005. Since 2005, they have put the VIN near the tongue, but she doesn't know where they may have been before that.

Another indicator that it is a pre 2005 model is that the wiring harness is flat and not round like the rest of the timeout line.

It would sure be nice to hear from a pre 2005 owner of a Zephyr on if there's a VIN and where it is located.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Just a thought, call CA - DMV, if you can get an actual person on the line, they should be able to tell you. I for one personally thank you for being cautious about purchasing something from a private party without proof of ownership

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page