Mechanically connecting a trailer to a motorcycle - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tom Finch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny S View Post
I know this is reviving an old post but hope Mr Finch sees it. I take everything he says about trailers as gospel. I used his directions to have the bearing spacers on my Bushtec trailer custom made to fit the individual wheels to prevent possible bearing failure. Just as he predicted, the ones from the factory were a few thousands too short and resulted in the bearings seating improperly. Also had a spare wheel done to be safe. One day I hope to have a yellow Tailwind in my garage.
Tom, I saw you at Glen's RTE this year but unfortunately I received a call from my wife about a family emergency and had to leave soon after I arrived and didn't get a chance to shake your hand which was one of my main reasons for finally making the trip. One day I hope to meet you and take delivery of a new trailer in Spring Branch.
Johnny, That story makes me feel bad. I hope the emergency got sorted out quickly. The Tailwind thing has allowed me to meet so very many great people. The Tailwind owners and their friends have become a great big and wonderful family. That extends to all who pull trailers and from there all who tour on motorcycles. At the age of 80 I am 4 years out of warranty and next month I click of another one.

Several original Bushtec owners now have a Tailwind so take heart! Rick Straub rode with us on our TTTs for some years pulling his Bushtec and finally got his Tailwind some years back. In a remote way, Rick is responsible for the rain at Glen's RTE. He has a friend that often rides with him who's nickname is Splash. When every splash is along, it rains which is how he got his name. Of course Splash was there at Glen's.

Of all the rains I have ever led a group of riders in, the 2011 TTT side trip one afternoon from Blanding to the Mexican Hat and Monument Valley was by far the worst frog strangler ever. Splash was along. However it was my fault for taking the route through Monument Valley because my radar showed no rain there. I found out later that there was no Radar there. The most vicious lightening, the most trucks hauling uranium ore, the highest wind, just one of those rides that no one has ever forgotten.

Johnny I hope we get to see each other again soon.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StoppingMexicanHat.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	197913  
Hondahawk likes this.

Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
'10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Finch View Post
Have not posted a pix in a long time so here is trying. This is a photo of Len Ellis' bike and also shows where the six pin round socket was placed, since the 2012 and later bikes have a frail three piece bottom fairing of the trunk and will not support the six pin socket there.

This trim accommodates the screws in the bottom corners that attach to the saddle bags. The Rivco hitch ball plate is the ORIGINAL 6 inch drop ball plate, that is for 2001-2010 Goldwing models. Not the new stretched out ball plate.

Although we have not tried it yet, I believe the ORIGINAL short flat ball plate for the Bushtec Hitch will also work here. It is all but impossible to get someone at Bushtec to find and ship the original short Flat ball plate. Nevertheless, some of our customers have been successful in getting them to do it.
Attached is a photo of a Bushtec hitch on a 2012 with the shorter pre-2012 flat plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5043.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	198009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5044.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	198017  
BigBob1 likes this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

That Installation looks good! Be nice if you could get one of Zachybilly's hitch balls.

This compromise may require a bit more care when backing with the trailer coming around, but the improved stability is worth the effort. Next time you have the ball plate out, please take pictures and dimension the distance from the post to the ball center.

Your mud flap closure looks good but I can not tell how far from the pavement the bottom is. The lower it is without actually dragging, the better.

Thank you for posting.

Tom

Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
'10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:42 AM
Seasoned Member

It is the short straight Bushtec. It doesn't have any bend. I know some don't like swivels, both my Hannigan and Rollahome have swivels.
Trying to show the difference in lengths of the 2012 bar and the pre-2012 bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5045.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	198081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5046.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	198089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5041.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	198097  
BigBob1 likes this.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbalzer View Post
It is the short straight Bushtec. It doesn't have any bend. I know some don't like swivels, both my Hannigan and Rollahome have swivels.
Trying to show the difference in lengths of the 2012 bar and the pre-2012 bar.
Thank you. I did not realize it was the original length. So you answered a question I have had since the 2012 came out and hat is that the original length Bushtec Ball Plate does work if the fender panel is modified.

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
What happened was that he loaded his trailer near neutral and successfully pulled it in this highly unstable condition until he got a leak in his rear tire and as he tire started to be low, it reduced the lateral stiffness in the rear of his bike and the typical divergent oscillation happened and threw them off the bike.
That point about the lateral stiffness in a motorcycle tire is scary. Shortly after leaving Missoula, Montana in Sept. 2009 my rear tire started to go flat and I vividly remember how unstable the bike's rear was at 75 mph on the expressway. By the time I got off the expressway and parked, the tire was almost entirely flat.

That is why I have used a run flat car tire ever since.

I also believe that anyone that pulls a trailer should also have a run flat tire.

Thanks for the thorough discussion in post #1.

gramps

doug of no fl likes this.

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Thank you. I did not realize it was the original length. So you answered a question I have had since the 2012 came out and hat is that the original length Bushtec Ball Plate does work if the fender panel is modified.
I posted another thread regarding my install. It has a little more information. Regards.

Pre 2012 hitch" on a 2012 GoldWing

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I posted another thread regarding my install. It has a little more information. Regards.

Pre 2012 hitch" on a 2012 GoldWing

I went to your referenced thread. Thank you. I see that you use swivel couplings so the question that comes to mind is what happens when the coupler falls to one side? I seems that the latching mechanism would then hit for sure. I realize that with a thick necked ball it won't fall over as far.

I am working at a wooden desk so after knocking wood I will say that I passed the Million mile mark of pulling trailers a year or so ago. The first and second trailers I designed and pulled in 1957 and 1963 both had gimbal hitches, but in 1974 I switched to ball couplings for the Streamliner series of trailers and have used that system ever since.

Until about 2007, Stancor sold a coupler with shallower body that had more misalignment capability but that die set was broken and they never replaced it.

That is when we proposed and Tims Red produced the Narrow Necked Ball that gave back the needed misalignment so the bike could lay on the engine cards without running out of travel. Of course that also goes for heading up a steep driveway or other pitch axis misalignment which a swivel does not treat, and which broke several Bushtec rod-end type connections that they used for swivel coupling.

With Tims' narrow necked ball, the only time I run out of travel is when I lay the bike over to change the rear tire while the trailer is attached.

Because we had a vested interest in the ball vs coupler issue, I made a series of checks with various couplers and balls some years back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bushtec-Fulton Hardover390 copy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	198417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DL and clamp, Bushtec Ball3927.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	198425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DL and Fulton ball cl, Tims ball3910M.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	198433  
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll recheck next time I hook up to trailer, but the hitch swivel almost always falls over to the left. Very seldom flat or falls to the right. I think it was over on its left when we checked how sharp I could turn. I I know I was making left hand turns and it seems the hitch was over all the way on its side. I know what ever one says are the negatives of a swivel hitch, but for me and my opinion, the positives out way the negatives.

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I'll recheck next time I hook up to trailer, but the hitch swivel almost always falls over to the left. Very seldom flat or falls to the right. I think it was over on its left when we checked how sharp I could turn. I I know I was making left hand turns and it seems the hitch was over all the way on its side. I know what ever one says are the negatives of a swivel hitch, but for me and my opinion, the positives out way the negatives.
If you can lay the bike on the guards with a narrow necked ball and standard hitch coupler, would like to understand the swivel thing especially with Dave's trailer which is quite stable. I always like to learn what is everyone's mind relative to pulling trailers with bikes.

A trailer with a propensity for rolling over I would understand. I certainly appreciate your comments and photos. Thanks much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page