Custom Trailer License Plate - found a good company to use - GL1800Riders
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Custom Trailer License Plate - found a good company to use

For those of us who live in a state that doesn't require registering or putting a license plate on your trailer - here's a custom license plate supplier I recently used and was very pleased with the results.

Now I've lived in a couple of states that didn't require registering the little pull-behind trailers that some of use. However - to limit the problems with LEO's in states that do require a plate I've always registered and plated my trailer. But it's either very expensive to get a permanent plate (then move and have the money wasted ), or to renew the plate every year.

Now here in Tennessee it's only $14.75 for my plate, but it's a big white plate with black numbers. Nice and reflective, but about ugly and the dang revenue collectors at various picture locations find it to be an easy plate to track me down with.

So after the last bill in the mail arrived, I started looking around on the internet for a custom plate. As my state doesn't require one - I could have just about anything made. BUT - as mentioned earlier - some states require a plate and not all the LEO's are willing to accept my Department of Transportation printout that says I don't need one. Last time it was "Your state may not require one, but ours does. You can tell it to the judge." Yeah, you either get to go back and show the judge the same thing you showed the LEO, get the citation dismissed but still have to pay court costs and the cost of going back, or pay the fine and have it on your record.

So I wanted a plate that looks official, inexpensive, is customized, and is a quality made item. Found it with http://www.customplatepros.com/

I got an aluminum plate (not plastic), quality printing, nice plastic sleeve around the plate (which I left on under the plastic plate guard I use) - all for less than $20. ($18.48 to be exact). And I'm a happy trailer-pulling camper

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160909_163740518.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	144730  
Harry Robinson likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

Last edited by ssncob; 09-09-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I picked this up years ago, but living in a different state I couldn't use it. Went to Reno a few years ago for a rally and went down to Dept. of Motor Vehicles and asked about using it. Nice lady said she has seen more than a dozen of these and No I can't use it even if I moved to Nevada.
But hey she put on a free sticker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0005.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	144746  

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990

Last edited by Clamper; 09-09-2016 at 08:05 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

WHAAAAT?
you said..."Last time it was "Your state may not require one, but ours does. You can tell it to the judge." Yeah, you either get to go back and show the judge the same thing you showed the LEO, get the citation dismissed but still have to pay court costs and the cost of going back, or pay the fine and have it on your record."
Am I understanding this correctly? You're out of state and a LEO from another state gives you crap about not having a plate when YOUR state doesn't require it????? I'd Love to hear his logic about this one.
WHATABUNCHACRAP!

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
WHAAAAT?
you said..."Last time it was "Your state may not require one, but ours does. You can tell it to the judge." Yeah, you either get to go back and show the judge the same thing you showed the LEO, get the citation dismissed but still have to pay court costs and the cost of going back, or pay the fine and have it on your record."
Am I understanding this correctly? You're out of state and a LEO from another state gives you crap about not having a plate when YOUR state doesn't require it????? I'd Love to hear his logic about this one.
WHATABUNCHACRAP!
Thats the same as when I took my other bike to Ohio, I was told my apes was too high for their state and that I had to make my bars fit their rules. So I loosened my clamps and lowered them ..... until that cop left where I was then put them back where I wanted them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

This is the plate I have on my old Bushtec. It is a real plate issued by the state.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lic Plate 2.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	516.7 KB
ID:	144810  
Clamper likes this.

If you got to ride, ride in style.

2008 Thoroughbred Stallion
Candy Apple Red
1992 Pearl White Bushtec Turbo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Seasoned Member

I just ordered two aluminum 4"x7" plates with my home state painting. One for the Wing and one for my Kompact Kamp cargo trailer I sometimes pull. Since they are not traceable with the home registry I see many miles of riding the NY Thruway and the Mass Pike all for free....yes I know it's theft, but so is charging a toll for using a highway that the original charter allowing the charging of tolls was to end whenever the highway cost was recovered.

Allen
doug of no fl likes this.

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
WHAAAAT?
WHATABUNCHACRAP!

Yep, it's for real. Unfortunately, a LEO has quite a bit of leeway concerning enforcement of rules and regulations. And the Supreme Court has ruled that if a LEO is acting upon what he thinks the rules are - then he is within his authority. For us - ignorance of the law is no excuse, not so for a LEO. (disclaimer - I am not anti-LEO, in fact I serve with our City PD). And yes - arguing with an LEO at the side of the road usually doesn't end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messer View Post
Thats the same as when I took my other bike to Ohio, I was told my apes was too high for their state and that I had to make my bars fit their rules. So I loosened my clamps and lowered them ..... until that cop left where I was then put them back where I wanted them.
Yeah, some states enforce the rules more actively than others. And some LEO's have more heartburn towards bikers than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
I just ordered two aluminum 4"x7" plates with my home state painting. One for the Wing and one for my Kompact Kamp cargo trailer I sometimes pull. Since they are not traceable with the home registry I see many miles of riding the NY Thruway and the Mass Pike all for free....yes I know it's theft, but so is charging a toll for using a highway that the original charter allowing the charging of tolls was to end whenever the highway cost was recovered. Allen
Allen, great idea till you get pulled over for some other violation - then good luck with that . But I do agree with your opinion of the wrongness of financing state budgets via road/bridge tolls when it was not in the original charter.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

I like this. In Colorado they issued me a full car size plate for my Unigo trailer. Looks silly sticking out and is subject to bending. Was considering a color copy of the official plate shrunk to mc size and laminated. I could do this instead. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleetho View Post
I like this. In Colorado they issued me a full car size plate for my Unigo trailer. Looks silly sticking out and is subject to bending. Was considering a color copy of the official plate shrunk to mc size and laminated. I could do this instead. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Here are my two plates I ordered, they are exact duplicates of the Vermont motor vehicle plates. This company does quality work as you can see from ssncob's post showing his plate. TAILG8R is for the trailer I pull.

Allen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	164465  

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Tag

Read this post and thought it was a good idea I ordered my tag and just received it a few days ago here it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1080.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	166873  

Trying to burn up the road before I burn out. RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page