dirt bike trailer behind the wing? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC View Post
Mine will end up pretty close then to total weight as yours. Hoping I can get the trailer under 150 lbs. I pull 200 lbs. with my cargo trailer very comfortably. My goal is to get it at 400 or less, but that will be a challenge.

That 400 was my goal also. The only way I think to achieve that is an aluminum trailer . With a torsion axle .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Have you seen the " Trailer in the bag" concept? Just a channel , hitch, axel, tires tail lights.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_machine View Post
Have you seen the " Trailer in the bag" concept? Just a channel , hitch, axel, tires tail lights.
I did a search and looked at them. I thought about doing something like that, starting with the HF trailer. Looking at those pictures though, where's the suspension? I'm not overly knowledgable on this subject, but to me pulling 400 lbs behind the wing, that is air born most of the time, would get pretty interesting. Or am I thinking wrong?

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

subscribed...
CAWing likes this.

Please say NO to chrome...
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

I could have saved 8 lbs by using a channel iron for bike wheels , but wanted a utility trailer like a multi tool.
If supported properly 10 gauge bent up would work for rail . I highly considered building one from scratch , as I have built many of trailers. But if you can find a trailer for under $400 , I could never build one for under that . BTW I paid $300 for boat trailer to,start this project. If I ever find a jet ski trailer for $300 ish , I will build another one . As the 6" lower would be super better handling and easier loading I am almost postive . I would still use heavy wire mesh as I am finding the utility trailer concept is super handy here .
CAC and Ironhorse1800 like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

@Rail32 what is the height of your deck?
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
@Rail32 what is the height of your deck?
I will measure Friday for ya but guess is 10" maybe 12" .
Sorry but I am halfway through a bowl of chocolate marshmallow ice cream , wearing only sweat pants, and it freaking cold outside . I do not even like my good freinds that much to go outside now
CAC likes this.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
I will measure Friday for ya but guess is 10" maybe 12" .
Sorry but I am halfway through a bowl of chocolate marshmallow ice cream , wearing only sweat pants, and it freaking cold outside . I do not even like my good freinds that much to go outside now
Mine is going to be too high. Starting with 19", going to move the springs to the underside of the axle to gain a couple inches. It has 12" wheels, so I guess I could swap them for 8", not sure how much that will actually get me, 2 or 4? I'll have to work to get to 12". If I don't put any mesh or deck on it, I may be able to get creative and have the bike sit down in the frame, but the tongue will be the deciding factor with that. I'll know better over the weekend. Supposed to get snow and cold today, so testing will be limited. Looking like I'll be into this thing for under 350, if I don't go getting crazy. What's the thoughts on smaller wheels and spinning bearings? My goal was to take this thing to areas like Utah, Colorado, set up camp and ride the dirt bike for a few days, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with that. May be a local hauler, we'll see. Not that it matters where I die, lol!

Last edited by CAC; 03-10-2017 at 04:09 AM.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Mine is going to be too high. Starting with 19", going to move the springs to the underside of the axle to gain a couple inches. It has 12" wheels, so I guess I could swap them for 8", not sure how much that will actually get me, 2 or 4? I'll have to work to get to 12". If I don't put any mesh or deck on it, I may be able to get creative and have the bike sit down in the frame, but the tongue will be the deciding factor with that. I'll know better over the weekend. Supposed to get snow and cold today, so testing will be limited. Looking like I'll be into this thing for under 350, if I don't go getting crazy. What's the thoughts on smaller wheels and spinning bearings? My goal was to take this thing to areas like Utah, Colorado, set up camp and ride the dirt bike for a few days, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with that. May be a local hauler, we'll see. Not that it matters where I die, lol!
Bearings :
Lots of trailers and campers are 8" wheels. My Leesurlite as a matter of fact is 8" .
IF maintained properly they will serve you well. I check and pack bearings before every trip . I have never had a bearing go out while on road. I used to carry grease and a spare bearing set with me , I do not anymore . Yes 8" wheels spin faster but again if maintained they have served me well. Leesurlite camper of mine has 15,000 miles on it .
Tire pressure is also pretty important to monitor . As with all tires . I only run 10 lbs in utility trailer and same in camper . But tire temps proves to me that this is optuimn pressure . Trust nothing and checking has served me well.
CAC likes this.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Think of this kind of like building and then loading cargo in an airplane. Too high for a total Center Of Gravity (COG) is unstable. A plane with this high of a COG would only be stable flying upside down. Not good.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the lighter the trailer, with the same bike at the same height on top, raises the COG and it is LESS stable. Choices are, 1. Lower the cargo. 2. Add cargo weight very low on the trailer. Or 3. A combination of both.

My Kwik Kamp weighs in at 350 when empty. When I bought it the previous owner threw 20 pounds of ice in the cooler and told me it would handle better with MORE cargo inside. After getting home, I tested using zero or up to 4 tool boxes loaded at 50 pounds each. He was right. It pulls better at 500 pounds than empty at 350 pounds!

The Kwik Kamp's axle, frame and cargo box don't weigh a lot. But too much of that 350 pounds is the camper bed and tent mounted up on top. Adding weight in the bottom of the cargo box, down low, helps counter balance it and lower the entire trailers COG.

Just my random, rambling thoughts. Carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CAC likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page