dirt bike trailer behind the wing? - GL1800Riders
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

dirt bike trailer behind the wing?

I'm working on making a trailer to haul my dirt bike behind my wing. I have a small Kwik Kamp cargo trailer that I've used some, but not much. Total weight loaded for a week of camping is 200lbs. all in. Looking at the harbor freight trailers to modify and the total weight will be 425 to 450 with the bike on it. 200lb has been fine. I read wear some if you pull some pretty heavier campers. Do you think 450 is too heavy? Anyone have one for sale? Thanks

Ride on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

I've been researching this for a bit as of late and from what I'm reading, 450lbs is well within the limits but you need to figure your tongue weight as well. Subscribing.
CAC likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC View Post
I'm working on making a trailer to haul my dirt bike behind my wing. I have a small Kwik Kamp cargo trailer that I've used some, but not much. Total weight loaded for a week of camping is 200lbs. all in. Looking at the harbor freight trailers to modify and the total weight will be 425 to 450 with the bike on it. 200lb has been fine. I read wear some if you pull some pretty heavier campers. Do you think 450 is too heavy? Anyone have one for sale? Thanks

Ride on
450 is about max for me to pull. I have pulled 515 home from Ma. ,but was not comfortable doing it . My bike and trailer now weighs just a shade over 400lbs and I have hit triple digits with it . Keep trailer as lite as possible is key . I tried to pull heavy KLR and that was a no go. XL250R was great , but new China girl is way way better . Let me know if you want pix of what I have done .
CAC likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
450 is about max for me to pull. I have pulled 515 home from Ma. ,but was not comfortable doing it . My bike and trailer now weighs just a shade over 400lbs and I have hit triple digits with it . Keep trailer as lite as possible is key . I tried to pull heavy KLR and that was a no go. XL250R was great , but new China girl is way way better . Let me know if you want pix of what I have done .
Please show pics. Consider yourself let known, lol. Thanks
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

16' boat trailer , shortened tongue , mesh flooring for weight reduction , 12" wheels were replaced with 8" again for weight . Got rid of all but one spring , and placed axle on top of spring instead of the bottom to lower it . More pix available of specific area upon request .
CAC and knucklepanshovel like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Here is a pic of my sport bike behind my Valk. I built this trailer from a HF kit. It pulled ok in a straight line but even with the 8 inch tires to get it as low as I could. It always felt top heavy in curves and stopping was also not so much fun. Total weight was a little over 450 lbs. I think it would have been better if the axle was a little wider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0586.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	697.5 KB
ID:	179961  
CAC and knucklepanshovel like this.

GL1800A Interceptor Illusion Red
Florida Prowler #100
IBA#64117
www.facebook.com/Bobbysokcorral

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
Here is a pic of my sport bike behind my Valk. I built this trailer from a HF kit. It pulled ok in a straight line but even with the 8 inch tires to get it as low as I could. It always felt top heavy in curves and stopping was also not so much fun. Total weight was a little over 450 lbs. I think it would have been better if the axle was a little wider.
I agree, getting the lowest center of gravity is my goal. I've thought about setting it up to just lay my bike on it's side. Still haven't ruled that out yet, since it's upside down, or on it's side a lot in the woods anyway! . I am getting a small HF today and will just play with some ideas. How heavy is the bike you're hauling, yours also @Rail32 . My bike according to specs is about 270, and the trailer will be about 150.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:54 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

dirt bike trailer behind the wing?

320 wet weight new , but I stripped at least 20 lbs off . Trailer weighs 132
CAC likes this.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Bob , I can believe it felt too heavy . Look at how far off ground sport bike tires are . When I had 12 " tires it was miserable to pull for same reason you described . My guesstimating is your almost 10" higher than me . That's why if I find a jet ski trailer I will buy it of cheap enough. A few inches makes all the difference . I found this out pulling campers around the country for others .
CAC likes this.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
320 wet weight new , but I stripped at least 20 lbs off . Trailer weighs 132
Mine will end up pretty close then to total weight as yours. Hoping I can get the trailer under 150 lbs. I pull 200 lbs. with my cargo trailer very comfortably. My goal is to get it at 400 or less, but that will be a challenge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page