Trailer Pricing/mark-up Question?? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Trailer Pricing/mark-up Question??

Why is it that a pop-up tent camper to pull behind your bike seems to be priced less than an nice cargo trailer for the bike?

I would think it would take longer and cost more to produce the tent camper with labor and material than it would the cargo trailer.

Case in point here a couple of prices I surfed and found Mini Mate camper 15 cu.ft $2695 and the Roadman Camper Price $2,995.00

I know there are cargo trailers out there for less but my question is more about mark up cost and how the prices are set.

Maybe it is as simple as the demand for cargo trailer is greater than the demand for tent campers so they can charge more I don't know.
Would love to here the thoughts and comments of this board on this subject?
Thanks,

Dale

The Marine Corps made me a man. My sons made me a father. I have never regretted a moment of either.
Semper Fi
www.zach-seidlitz.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Trailer

There is a lot of margin in trailers, A LOT OF MARGIN.

I have had the Escapade and Hannigan, both very good trailers. There is a LOT OF MARGIN in the accessories as well, of course that goes with out saying for all motorcycle accessories. JMHO which I am intitled to.

If all else fails, "Read The Instructions".
2008 Black In The Stable
2004 Candy Black Cherry (Sold it)
1975 CB500T (Restoration Project) (Sold)
2004 Hannigan Candy Black Cherry (Sold)
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Ya get what ya pay for.......like anything...simple
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Is it really that simple that you get what you pay for?
Parts manufacturing companies are continually being pushed by OEM's to lower their costs but yet the prices to the consumer (us) keeps going up.
Please don't take my question the wrong way but in today's economy it is very difficult for me to understand the value vs economics of this pricing.

I am not trying to compare the tent camper to the Bushtec, Tailwinds (in their case I agree you get what you pay for) or other high end trailers. I am trying to compare it to the average torsion axle cargo trailer on the market.

I do not mean for this thread to become argumentative in any way. I asked the question so I could hear the opinions of others as to why a tent camper that would appear to cost more to produce, would sell for less than a comparative cargo trailer that (I assume) would cost less to produce.
Thanks,

Dale

The Marine Corps made me a man. My sons made me a father. I have never regretted a moment of either.
Semper Fi
www.zach-seidlitz.com
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Onedale...no arguements...all is well

I believe it is all in how it is constructed not simply how big or how much stuff is incorporated

A Timex costs $14.99
A low end Tag Hauer can cost $800

Yes both are watches, both tell time.....but one is constructed far better than the other

I would suggest the top end trailers like Bushtec and Tailwind are far better built and provide a far better pulling experience than a lesse costing trailer.

But that is just my opinion.....and we al lknow about opinions!!
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:11 AM
GED
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJREF
Ya get what ya pay for.......like anything...simple
It would seem that if that were the case, then the high end rigs would have more to offer than a water tight cargo area or a fancy tongue. For what some of them cost, you would at least expect more than a second hand. (from the reference about the watches)

GED "Get er Done"
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tom Finch
Rackets,

I always enjoy your posts but have to ask, would you please work your magic arithmetic on our Patented Tailwinds?

Maybe you can show us how to lay 6 to 17 layers of E Glass in each of 9 molds to make the body of the Tailwind, then add separator cloth, bleeder cloth, and mylar pressure cloth on these layers and seal them so that they can be cured under pressure at 275 degrees for 4 hours. Then trim each of the parts and bond them together.

How about a chassis that has a ladder frame with shock towers containing 26 precision Laser cut steel plates, 14 square and rectangular tubes straight and curved, two trailing arms containing 12 precision laser cut steel plates and two machined rectangular tubes, two machined journals, two machined spindles, two machined precision bearing spacers and 4 machined end caps, two chrome plated drawbar assemblies containing tree rectangular tubes, 10 precision laser cut steel plates, Chrome plated Lid Hinge assembly containing 4 precision laser cut steel plates, Chrome plated tube, stainless hinge pin, 2 precision laser cut Aluminum Jay Hinges. Purchased bearings include 4 double sealed ball bearings, 4 Timken tapered bearings, six sintered bronze bearings, three hydraulic high ratio hydraulic dampers with multi stage springs, and a stainless coupler.

Starts to get a little scary, doesn't it.

Then there is the Equipment Bay with a Ritchlie-Thomas industrial Air compressor, Transducers Direct 60 psi Pressure Switch, Led air system On-Of Switch, Bronze 1/4" NPT plumbing pars, Brass pro shop type air quick disconnect, six socket mounted 30 amp relays, two 8 Amp auto reset circuit breakers, 165 feet of Copper wire from 12 gage and smaller, Gel Cell Battery with chassis, Lights, Light fixtures, sockets, Latches, Gas Springs,

How about appearance? Priced an auto type paint finish lately?

Interior refinements, Bra, Hardware, Hardened underbody surface?

Wheels, Hubs.....the list goes on and on. Your comment about high profit in molded cargo trailers gives me great expectation that just around the bend there is going to be a pot of gold waiting.

Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
'10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Seasoned Member

GED wrote:

Quote:
It would seem that if that were the case, then the high end rigs would have more to offer than a water tight cargo area or a fancy tongue.
I think Mr Finch made a good start at anwering your question.

BTW LArry theCable Guy is hilarious.....Git 'r done
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Tom,let us know when you get to the pot of gold and will you promise to post pictures?

RIP BEVERLY
2008 Titanium
2005 Bushtec Quantum GL
Darksider #62
AMA Life Member
Patriot Guard Rider
Florida Honorary Prowler #70
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Now thats the way to build a trailer, very nice work Tom. Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page