piggyback trailers - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

piggyback trailers

Hi all :
Looking to purchase a Piggyback Trailer. How many of you own one. Does it pull nice behind the bike. Any problems with the topper part ( locks-- hinges etc.) All wiring include. 8 " tires-- are they just as good as 12 " -- What milage can i expect from 8" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks grog2u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog2u View Post
Hi all :
Looking to purchase a Piggyback Trailer. How many of you own one. Does it pull nice behind the bike. Any problems with the topper part ( locks-- hinges etc.) All wiring include. 8 " tires-- are they just as good as 12 " -- What milage can i expect from 8" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks grog2u
I have the Piggy Backer XL. Pulls nice. Some times I forget its back there. The lock is probably the most complained about thing. Its kind of a cheapo lock. Some here has added other kinds of locks. I Cant say much about the 8" tires as I have never had them. Mine has the 12".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Louisiana GWRRA Chapter "O"
Silver 2005
Shell Rotella 15w40
How I Install Dynabeads
DS290
Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16
Towpac sometimes
Piggy Backer XL
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a 2004 model with about 30,000 miles on it. It has the 8" tires and are still on the original bearings and tires. The orginal lock went 3 years before they broke. I replaced the latch with a set of rubber boat hatches. I also installed a rubber seal around the bottom tube lip for when we ran through the rain that would be considered "toad stranglers". This winter I was finding some craking around the 4 mounts and an impact in the right front lower corner. I used some fiberglass and resin to fix and strengthen the bottom tube. I pack the bearings 2 times a year whether it needs it or not. It pulls best when loaded and with about 15 - 20 lbs of tongue weight you have to look in the mirrors to verify it is still there. I use it for touring around the country in the spring through fall and use it on the weekends to get groceies or to take trash to the transfer station.

Depending on what you do and how often you plan to use it you can not beat the piggybacker for service and customer service from Tom at the factory. While I would love a Tailwind, I just cannot justify the cost and service I get out of the Piggybacker.

Hope this helps

Darkside #110
Current rear tire 195/55/16 Bridgestone Driveguard
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a Piggy. with 8 ' tires. They pull great. Last year I did a 10,000 mile trip in less than 3 weeks and it was loaded top to bottom: side to side. No worry. Better lock would be the one thing that needs some improvement. Locking cover arms would be good too. (made some myself) Can't beat the trailer, even if it cost more.

2006 Cabernet Red Goldwing: PA/Comfort/Nav/TE
2004 VTX 1300R (Black Beauty)
IBA # 40546 Mile Eater
No Rhyme, No Reason ... Just Ride

A strong man stands up for himself; A stronger man stands up for others
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbear View Post
I have a Piggy. with 8 ' tires.
How does that pull with 8 foot tall tires, just curious? Is that a standard upgrade, or something you had to go aftermarket to add?

I am of course just kidding. I have been thinking of getting a trailer and will have to check these out. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

'08 Titanium
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

The suspensions are different between the two also. The 8" you get a straight axle with leaf springs and the 12" you get torsion suspension

alabamawing
'07 Dark Metallic Red / Traxxion

http://motorcycleriderz.motionsforum.com/forum.htm
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorKing View Post
How does that pull with 8 foot tall tires, just curious? Is that a standard upgrade, or something you had to go aftermarket to add?

I am of course just kidding. I have been thinking of getting a trailer and will have to check these out. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
I'll bet the 8 foot ones are much cheaper than the 12 foot!!

"You Live and You Die...Enjoy.."
(Tyler on MySpace....2005)

Tyler: 12-5-85 / 06-25-06
In my heart forever, son!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

I have one of the original styles from my GL1200 days,8 inch wheels. I pulled it all over TX,OK,Ark. with no problem, and now pull it with the Trike, and I have loaded it down relatively heavy with both bikes, and no issues with the 8 inch wheels. Best Bang for the Buck. Ugly little beast but Highly Functional. I did add my own lock! the stock lock isn't worth messing with.

George Patrick Th.D.
USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ5IX View Post
I have one of the original styles from my GL1200 days,8 inch wheels. I pulled it all over TX,OK,Ark. with no problem, and now pull it with the Trike, and I have loaded it down relatively heavy with both bikes, and no issues with the 8 inch wheels. Best Bang for the Buck. Ugly little beast but Highly Functional. I did add my own lock! the stock lock isn't worth messing with.
George, we need to get you out of the southwest and over to the east coast. When are you coming into NC and TN areas?

Ken
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL-DAWG View Post
George, we need to get you out of the southwest and over to the east coast. When are you coming into NC and TN areas?

Ken

Ken,
I spent a few years there in NC, and VA. Ran corn in the early 70's from Mt Arie to Galax up and down Baldy in the winter. When I left I don't think I left any thing But did later send a wife back , and may even still be wanted in the northern counties Use to hang around the Tarboro area, (How many people even know where that is )

You can come down here, it is riding weather out today you know...

George Patrick Th.D.
USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2691 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page