New to me 2003 GL1800 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

New to me 2003 GL1800

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2003 GL1800 from a long time neighbor moving to Oregon to retire and go fishing. The bike has 39,000 miles and has seen only long trip highway driving. It's in fantastic shape and I'm excited to learn to ride it and take some trips with the wife. But before I hit the road I want to go through the bike making sure everything is tight, and all maintenance items are done. After that I'm thinking I need to find a nearby parking lot and practice my rusty skills. I have ridden bikes off and on most of my life but never on such a large bike. It's been 25 years since my last ride and I understand the need to get my riding skills back.

Here are a few questions that I am hoping to receive some advise on:

- Can anyone recommend a driving school here in the Orange County California area?

- I need to buy driving attire...ie. gloves, boots etc...any recommendations on good quality stuff and where to buy?

- I have checked the fluids ...any other area of the bike I should give attention to specific to the 2003 GL1800?

- I'm 6'4" with long legs...I relocated the foot pegs onto the vertical part of the engine guard which has helped...any other suggestions?

I am told "just go take a long day trip". When you return you will have 50% of what you need to safely ride the bike...thoughts and sarcasm welcome

Thank You...Brent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page