Am I the only rider left that has not gone to the darkside?? - Page 20 - GL1800Riders
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronab View Post
i agree! A prior poster said he had never had a mc tire slip even under " hard acceleration"-----I guess he just doesn't really know what hard acceleration is; because I used to have mc tire slip with regularity.--without even really trying to make it slip!! with a car tire, the traction on WET pavement is basically phenomenal ---- which means the traction on dry pavement is greatly improved as well. But everyone is free to use what they choose......! And I also just hate hearing how riders/passengers get injured/killed when that rear "mc" tire fails!
Yep...guess I just don't accelerate as hard as you guys.

Honestly..."hard acceleration" is a relative term and to be fair...I think anyone can make an E3 slip so I wasn't talking about them.

Back to a reasonably decent MC tire, I've really never had slipping problems with something decent like a Stone 704.

Having said that, I'll admit that my riding style on the wing isn't geared for all out speed and it's not stop, point and shoot at all. I try and brake very little and carry a ton of speed through the corner and then I don't accelerate out of it that hard since I'm already going pretty fast and I don't want to get much faster on the straight or I'll have to brake hard before the next turn.

It's not even close to the fastest way to ride, but that's ok for me as I really just enjoy laying it over in the curves and am not going for full actual performance.

As such, I'm sure lots of guys accelerate harder than I do.

Follow up....so I've ridden my first 1000 miles on a CT now. At first I liked it a lot, then I hit a point where I didn't and now I'm back to liking it more than not liking it. It's definitely different and I'm having to learn a bit more feel mid corner in order to keep my line where I want it. (feels like it's "hunting" on me and it's just a bit less predictable than with a MC tire). At this point, it's more "different" than good or bad but I can't say I'm comfortable yet.

I told my buddy yesterday that if I was ordering a tire tomorrow, I'd order a 704....but I'm not done trying this out yet. I'm going to give it the full 6K miles or so that it lasts and make my decision when it's time to replace it.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Last edited by 2WheelNut; 04-04-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post

Follow up....so I've ridden my first 1000 miles on a CT now. At first I liked it a lot, then I hit a point where I didn't and now I'm back to liking it more than not liking it. It's definitely different and I'm having to learn a bit more feel mid corner in order to keep my line where I want it. (feels like it's "hunting" on me and it's just a bit less predictable than with a MC tire). At this point, it's more "different" than good or bad but I can't say I'm comfortable yet.

I told my buddy yesterday that if I was ordering a tire tomorrow, I'd order a 704....but I'm not done trying this out yet. I'm going to give it the full 6K miles or so that it lasts and make my decision when it's time to replace it.
I would like to drop a comment here, Dave. No two CT brands feel the same, or at least that has been my experience, i.e., the Yokohama that many guys really likes, I just did not like it. For me, the feel was just wrong.

If this one does not work out for you and your committed to the safety aspect, then try a different tire. I would bet there is one out there with your name on it.
ronab, Rail32 and 2WheelNut like this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #193 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Monk, thanks to SSNCOB I "test drove" an Alpine for a couple of days. Initially it felt like the tire was pushing when cornering or in the twisties but after about 15 minutes it started to feel more natural. I didn't get real aggressive (was 2 up part of the time with valuable cargo), but overall I felt quite comfortable using the tire. I just noticed in your signature that you have used both the Alpine as well as the Cinturato. How would you compare performance of the two tires, especially in the twisties as I do ride 2 up a good deal of the time. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

DaveJ
Tellico Village
Silver 2002 GL1800

post #194 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira02gw View Post
Monk, thanks to SSNCOB I "test drove" an Alpine for a couple of days. Initially it felt like the tire was pushing when cornering or in the twisties but after about 15 minutes it started to feel more natural. I didn't get real aggressive (was 2 up part of the time with valuable cargo), but overall I felt quite comfortable using the tire. I just noticed in your signature that you have used both the Alpine as well as the Cinturato. How would you compare performance of the two tires, especially in the twisties as I do ride 2 up a good deal of the time. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
At my age, don't think there is much wisdom left. Especially since I didn't start with much to begin with.

At this time I plan on staying with a Runflat CT. I just like the extra margin of safety and piece of mind that gives me.

A lot of the Runflats are pretty heavy, coming in at 24 to 25 pounds. While that is not real noticeable when doing the usual running around on the bike, the Michelin is a 25 pound tire. When running the twisty roads that extra weight can be noticeable, depending on how hard you like to ride. The problem comes in when changing directions, especially when going through S curves with the quick back and forth transition.

The Pirelli Centurato, and the Winter Snowcontrol come in at 21 and 22 pounds. That makes them a lot more fun and easier to handle in the twisties!!

The down side with these tires would be the mileage. Because of the way I'm using them, I will hope to get somewhere between 6,000-7000 miles. The Snowcontrol that I just took off gave me 6,663 miles. But it was abused in the Ozarks for its entire life.

I have a new Michelin that I'm saving for a future trip, thinking about Death Valley again. It excels in that type of application. The Michelin is an all around good tire. It is too bad they are getting hard to find.
ICTGhost likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Mega Monty Traxxion - Service by Fred Harmon
Darkside #623 - 200,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #195 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I would like to drop a comment here, Dave. No two CT brands feel the same, or at least that has been my experience, i.e., the Yokohama that many guys really likes, I just did not like it. For me, the feel was just wrong.

If this one does not work out for you and your committed to the safety aspect, then try a different tire. I would bet there is one out there with your name on it.
Agreed. Not sure if it's actually this tire or just the change in general but I'll stick with it long enough to find out. Right now, I think it's just taking me a bit longer to get used to the turn in and mid corner feel. I thought I had it after about 100 miles but I found myself just not being comfortable even after 500 or more.

We'll see how I feel after 5K or so.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

post #196 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Agreed. Not sure if it's actually this tire or just the change in general but I'll stick with it long enough to find out. Right now, I think it's just taking me a bit longer to get used to the turn in and mid corner feel. I thought I had it after about 100 miles but I found myself just not being comfortable even after 500 or more.

I would suggest trying different tire pressures. Screw mileage and wear, run the pressure that feels right for you and your style. I would rather enjoy it for 12-15,000 miles than put up with it for 20-25,000 miles.

I start my Yoko at 28psi, cold. But that is good for ME and MY style. Go where your gut takes you. Don't follow.
Hoosier Daddy, Monk and Rail32 like this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #197 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

@Monk
If you are even a even just a half way sprited rider ( which I suspect your better ) your milage for your area is what I consider pretty good.
Now if you lived and ride in like oh Nebraska , well that woulkd be a different story . We do not tisties out my back door , the amount of chip seal roads , and I rarely get over 8k on any rear I have tried . Less than 6 with bike rear tires . I do believe that those 2 pirellis are a real consideration for a good fit for a great deal of riders looking for good handling characteristics in a tire choice . I have a lot of tires on reserve , but if one comes along at a really good price I wanna throw that into this summers mix of tires . As I have not found a RF I can live with . But that weight is very appealing .
Monk likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full.

Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
..Well, having Boomer1832 appointed as The Moderator Over-See-Er might be.
post #198 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

I suspect it will grow on you........👍 And you are at least giving it a good tryout. I won't ever go back to a standard mc rear tire.

DS #343
post #199 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

One possibly related question for you. Have you made any upgrades to the stock suspension?

Darksider # 1135, Tennessee Traveler #50
2008 Level 3 GL1800, Mega Monty Traxxion
Falken Pro G4 A/S @ 44PSI, Bridgestone G709 @ 44 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 @ 37PSI, Bridgestone G709 @ 37 PSI
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

The downfall of every great society has always been immediately preceded by a significant increase in the number of lawyers.
post #200 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
One possibly related question for you. Have you made any upgrades to the stock suspension?
Yes...Traxxion 1.2 kg springs up front, Traxxion tree, Traxxion rear shock with 1100# spring.

Running rear preload at 18 with clip in upper position. Front tree 5mm below top of tubes.

I'm moderately aggressive on the street holding a lot in reserve. However, I'm also a licensed roadracer competing in CMRA races so I do know HOW to be VERY aggressive and what tire movement feels like. I just don't typically ride that way on the street, and certainly not with my Mom on the back on her first motorcycle ride.

Honestly, the way I was riding was really pretty reserved. As such, I really didn't expect any front tire squirm on those tar snakes and it unsettled me a bit and caused me to doubt my front grip. Having said that, it was the only time all weekend I felt movement so it may have just been that road.

I'll get to go out again in a week or so and ride some Arkansas twisties and I'll likely get a better feel. It may be the best setup ever, it's just a bit different from my track bikes and how it used to feel mid-corner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 428 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page