G851 - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgie View Post
Lean angle? I hadn't thought about that. I use about all the lean angle available on the G709 (no chicken strips) so, I hope this has comparable amount of lean angle or that will be a deal breaker for me. I am hope this tire will last 3500 miles.
I aint very fast, but i never have been able to get that last row of rubber ttits off the edge. Thats bragging rights right there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
speckfisher and Mr. Whiskey like this.

Michelin Primacy
Bridgestone G709
Darkside #1000
IBA# 63478
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Just ordered G851- ZR

Snowed here today and will be cold for a while. Could have tried out the Pirelli Snow Control in the yard today.
lol Front tire would have slid out and not a good thing to do.

2012 GL1800- 9150 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

A Page Full Of Words Or I'll Just Say It's Nimble...jp ___ Friday 1/6/17 now the page __ From a B___ B------ Review I Read When I Got My First 851W__
Yes
excellent tire
I'm rating the front tire 130/70-18. I run a car tire in rear
Excellent tire I have it installed on a 2006 gl1800 . It handles just as good as my last tire G709. I have already 14289 miles and this is the longest miles I ever got out of a front tire last set of G709 only lasted little over 5000 miles. Did some good riding this year in the Dragon and in the mountains and was surprise that it handled everything that I gave it and I wasn't easy on the bike.
On the way home back to Mass. had 2 day of heavy rain the front tire never wash out even when it rain too hard that cars where surprise that I was passing them with the Bike.
Would recommend it.

Was this review helpful? Yes (1) No (0)
October 6, 2013
Wing Nut
speckfisher likes this.

DS # 993 When nothing is certain, anything is possible.

Last edited by j1000; 01-06-2017 at 04:31 PM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I had ordered mine last Friday and it came in today(Tuesday).

Date code 3815... Sept.14th-20th,2015. Came out of Maumee, Ohio from Americanmototire in Arizona. Seems like i can't get a tire less than a year old from anyone.

Tread depth is 5/32" in the middle and side grooves and not 6/32" like i read somewhere.

It weighs about 11.5# which is pretty light. The BT45 is supposed to weigh 13.5# and doesn't look as pointy as the G851. Looks like it will lean easier than the BT45 which worked great on my 88. Will be interesting.

Not sure when i will get it changed and try it out.

2012 GL1800- 9150 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F

Last edited by Indianawantsme; 01-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Lean angle? I hadn't thought about that. I use about all the lean angle available on the G709 (no chicken strips) so, I hope this has comparable amount of lean angle or that will be a deal breaker for me. I am hope this tire will last 3500 miles. HE GETS THEM "**** " OFF BY HITTING DEER !
speckfisher likes this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgie View Post
Lean angle?
Hedz Up... I've "raked" the belly pan at the nose once on each side (could probably do so every time now).
That had never happened before, but she is 'bout due for new front springs so...\_(ツ)_/

I've got 5454 miles on the G851F (63W) & love the grip, handling, smoothness, & quiet of this tire. Now here's the rub, if I make 6k it will probable be completely bald down the center. Edges have held up well & it's jus' now starting to cup very slightly. Runnin' it at 41psi (& I've actually been pretty diligent). May try the next one at 38 to see if it wears alittle more even across.
Now this has all been during the "off" season here in E. Tn. so there haven't been too many hot laps across The Dragon. I 'spect the mileage will decrease on the next one in direct proportion to the rising temps headed into Spring.

New & old...

(Glad I wrote this post, hadn't noticed the stress cracks in the tread grooves. "Old" eyes aren't what they used to be!)

Old...

& New... (for comparison purposes)

Next victims...
speckfisher likes this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

What is the CT there Mr.Whiskey?great looking tread!

2007 silver gl1800 premium audio
Darkside#748
kumho ecsta rf
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Riken Raptor UHP 205/55ZR/16 94W
Michelin jus' brought it back in this size. I haven't run one of the new batch yet. I got 2 of the last batch direct from Michelin & paid $90 apiece for 'em.
I've run alot of 'em. Was runnin' it on my Valkyrie 1520 for years so decided to try it on the Wing. Had to increase pressure (Valk ran it at 36, Wing at 50) but other than that no diff.
It's square as a brick at slow speeds (but I'm used to it) & sticks like **** to a baby blanket in the twisties, wet or dry. This is a NRF tire (the RF in description stands for reinforced or extra load) so it's pretty light at 23 lbs (transitions really quick) & has rim protection sidewalls.
If we're really rockin' the mountains I've burned one up in less than 5k (300 UTQG's pretty soft) but it usually goes 'bout 12k (even with us pulling the camping gear regular).
Lovin' the new price, I need to buy a set of 4

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....10080301008005

Peace, Whiskey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page